My boyfriend and I traveled to Costa Rica ,sort of, spur of the moment. We are in our mid 20's and semi-recent university grads. We didn't have any set plans; we kind of planned things day by day. Thus, we missed out on cheap flights from San Jose to Liberia or Tamarindo. After dropping $700 on a 4-day rental 4x4 SUV (i didn't know what the terrain would be like getting here),soooo I wasn't sure if dropping $175 a night for a hotel would be best for us. So i read the reviews of hotels in Tamarindo. This one stood out among everyone else (in it's price range).
It is about a 1/2 mile away from the "downtown" Tamarindo area. This actually gives it an exclusive feeling. I think there are only 34 rooms, so it isn't overcrowded at all. We were greeted by friendly people at the front desk. Also, there are a few feral kitties that have made this hotel their home.They are very chill cats and hang out on the seats near the reception desk. We did watch one kitty hunt down a lizard. We also saw howler monkeys in the trees when we first got there. There are a couple babies too.
The rooms are lovely. We had a regular room on the bottom floor, #23. It was nice to have a normal shower. The bathroom was very big, the beds were comfortable, and there was a seating area in front of the bed.
There is a private access gate to the beach. This was one of the more convenient things about this place. You didn't have to walk far to get to a beach. PRO TIP- you can rent surfboards for a certain price BUT you can borrow the boogie boards for FREE. They are good quality boards, not some Styrofoam garbage. BUT, if you lose or break the boards, you will be charged $100 per.
The breakfast was great. It is a breakfast buffet, but there is an option to order specific items (for charge, of course). The quality of the breakfast was very good. They have fruit (pineapple, cantaloupe, papaya, etc), Cheese/meats, Hot food (eggs, sausage, etc), pastries/breads, about 8 different jam/jelly options, several juices, and cereal.
Watch out for the blue birds... They like eggs and sausage. :P
To the person who gave 4/5 stars because of disappointing 'to-go' breakfast....
1. It isn't their fault you chose to have a tour at 7am.
2. I am surprised they even gave you a boxed breakfast. If fresh food is not kept at specific temperatures, you are at risk for getting sick. They could be held liable. Every togo breakfast I have had from hotels consisted of a packaged granola bar/muffin, banana/apple, and the like.
If you are a parent that uses the television to babysit your children, this is NOT the place for your family. There aren't televisions in the rooms, but the internet is pretty good. We were able to stream the shows we wanted to watch while winding down for the day.
This hotel is certainly worth the price; the atmosphere is very resort-like.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Capitan Suizo is an environmentally conscious and future oriented beach hotel. It is an ideal place for relaxation that carries a tropical ambiance and lies amongst a lush garden. With a discreet elegance and a touch of Swiss quality that blends with an informal and joyful atmosphere, Capitan Suizo is an oasis where it is implicit that nature and animals are integrated with love and respect. Capitan Suizo is located directly on the beach in a privileged area 1 km outside of town and at the end of the bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Capitan Suizo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Capitan Suizo Hotel
- Capitan Suizo Tamarindo