“Hidden Treasure”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Austin, Texas
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

4-day stay on Tamarindo Beach was an incredible time due to the accommodations at Hotel Capitan Suizo. We were fortunate enough to book a bungalow and it was incredible. The room was beautiful and had a feel of your own home away from home with private eating area with a view of the beach and wildlife. Food and drinks are top notch and all freshly made. Can't say enough good things about the staff as they were always helpful and ready to make your day with a warm smile and laugh.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 weeks and loved every minute of it! The property is close enough to town to be a comfortable walk but far enough away to feel as if you were isolated. Perfect. The staff was wonderful and the food was outstanding. In fact, I ate nearly every dinner there. I would stay there time and time again. The bungalow I had was immaculate and the outdoor shower under the banana tree was the bomb!!! If you are planning a visit to this part of Costa Rica this is the best place in I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow if you can...so worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JeffAtlanta_Georgia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We just returned a few weeks ago from Hotel Capitan Suizo celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful time. The accommodations were beautiful. Wild life all around. Our room was smack right on the beach. Everyone was so nice from Max & Juan Carlos, and all the girls in the restaurant. The food was great. Rosa was very knowledgeable about all the side trips that you could take, as well as setting all of our trips up, Rosa also helped us arrange the cab back & forth from the airport. She was a tremendous help. The beach & the ocean was absolutely beautiful. We stayed in it for hours. You can also walk to the town from the beach or take the main road as well. What I really appreciated was that there was no television or clock in our room. You can really disconnect from the outside world and really relax. Perfect location. We had a blast! We will differently be back to Hotel Capitan Suizo.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have AC, so if you are a AC lover, you must ask for a room with AC.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed 4 nights in bungalow #6. Almost everything was great about our stay and would def recommend it and would stay again if we ever went back to Tamarindo.

Breakfast was amazing. Lots of choices and some options changed each day. Servers would keep your coffee cup full (good coffee!) and offered boxes to take some to go. Juan Carlos was great and said having too much food there was "impossible" :-) Birds would try to steal your food which was amusing to us, but could be annoying to others. Oh and flies were enjoying the fruit so we couldn't, but they fixed the problem the next morning with saran wrap. The onsite manager met us at breakfast which was nice.

Our maid was friendly even though we didn't speak the same language. We arranged an excursion at the hotel which was cheaper than advertised and went off without a hitch! Saw beautiful birds, iguanas and monkeys on site. The beach was calm and relaxing. Max was our amazing server for a candlelight dinner on the beach.

My only complaint is that under the desk and high above in the bathroom were spiders and webs. I suggest they pay closer attention to these areas where spiders may live. I understand we're surrounded by nature there and they'll find their way in, but maybe a few extra swipes with a feather duster in the shadows (especially under the desk where your legs go) would help....Oh also I tried to visit the gift shop 3x during their posted open hours and it was dark and locked. That was frustrating.

Aside from that it was great. Our bed was comfy. The AC was clutch. The whirlpool tub worked great. Napping on the hammock and reading on our porch was lovely. The grounds were beautiful. Early every morning the staff were out sweeping, cleaning the pool, and pointing out animals to us that we would have missed. They did seem to honestly try to be courteous and attentive. My husband was walking to the bar with a bottle of wine hoping they could open it for us, but he didn't even get that far because the first person who saw him coming whipped out an opener from his pocket to assist him. Great service! Super friendly staff! And you can tell they take care of the place.

We appreciated that there was no TV in the room (they even explain why in their room booklet). Who needs TV when you're on vacation with an ocean and a jungle outside!? No problems with the WiFi either.

Thanks for Juan Carlos, Max, Pita, and everyone else who's names we didn't catch. We had a great stay at Capitan Suizo :)

Room Tip: Our bungalow #6 was perfect. You could hear the sound of the waves and was right across from the res...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Our recent stay at the Hotel Capitan Suizo was very quiet, private and romantic. It is beachfront and the pool is open 24 hours. It is a short walk into the town and is much safer and clean than staying in the town of Tamarindo. You're treated like royalty as soon as you arrive and escorted to your clean and spacious room. The showers are big enough for 2 and candles are provided. No TV. No jacuzzi. Breakfast was served daily and was delicious fresh fruit, plantains, beans, rice and toast. The coffee is bold and delicious and the bar made us fresh, rich, and crisp mango smoothies. We loved this place and highly recommend staying here. It is very clean, private and quiet. Thank you for the excellent service Hotel Capitan Suizo!

Stayed July 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2014

If you are planning your trip to Costa Rica, I highly recommend you do what my girlfriend and I did. We stayed at Hotel Capitan Suizo for 10 days. I am sure we will stay there again next time.

Many people we talked to said that they wanted to travel within Costa Rica as opposed to staying in one place... Our plan was to take day trips like this so we didn't feel left out on the traveling. Rosa, the very nice concierge, will hook you up with all of the day trips that you can imagine. Through the hotel, we were able to book all of our trips and rent any gear that we needed at very reasonable prices. Rosa is awesome!

The staff at Hotel Capitan Suizo is out of this world. Everyone is so friendly... all of the time. I speak a small amount of Spanish. They were very happy to teach me anything I wanted to know. The manager, Vinicio, helped plan my engagement dinner (proposed to my gf) on the last night and it was nothing short of spectacular! Israel, the chef, cooked a 5 course meal to perfection! The servers (Juan Carlos, Eddie, Max, Ivan, Gustavo) were all so genuinely interested in the quality of our stay. They all wanted to know how they could make our vacation better.

Costa Rica was dominating their world cup group while we were there and the local surf shop (Arenas) ran a 50% off special on everything everytime Costa Rica won. Eddie clued us in on this and I bought some sweet board shorts.

Kristy (my fiance) and I would eat early every morning. Juan Carlos (Se llama "Loca") was always energetic and hilarious at breakfast. He would give us a to go box sometimes so that we could take some food for a snack on the beach.

Gustavo, Max and Ivan would bar-tend throughout the day and at night and would make great drinks and were always teaching me spanish and inquiring how they could help. I really can not stress enough how these guys made the atmosphere at the hotel relaxing and fun-spirited all the time.

Ademar kept the awesome outdoor pool surrounded by monkeys and iguanas immaculately clean everyday, all day.

The location was a huge part of what made this vacation perfect. 1 km outside of Tamarindo is absolutely perfect. It is a short walk and very quick bike ride (hotel has bikes) to any Restaraunt in Tamarindo. The walk is perfect after eating and you can make the walk on the beach or along the dirt road. We visited 7 restaraunts that I will rank my favorite 5 for you below.

1 - Seasons by Shlomi (by far the best food I have ever had)
2 - Hotel Capitan Suizo (our engagement dinner was amazing)
3 - La Baula (great brick oven, think crust pizza)
4 - Patagonia (great argentinian food)
5 - Bamboo Sushi Club (awesome atmosphere and great sushi)

All of these restaraunts were priced very reasonably compared to restaraunts in the US.

Excursions:

We went on 3 excursions: Palo Verde, Buena Vista , Playa Conchal. They were all awesome in their own way. I highly recommend horseback riding to Playa Conchal (Joseph is awesome). The price is very low for a long horseback ride to a beautiful beach (no sand, just smoothed broken shells and clear blue water. You can snorkal there as well. Many people went to Monteverde and Arenal and said they were very cool but we didn't have the urge to make the 4 hour trip to each.

We picked Hotel Capitan Suizo because of reviews on Trip Advisor and photos. However, reviews and photos cannot relay how great and personal this place really is. We got extremely lucky to pick this place. All of the people that we met who were traveling throughout Costa Rica were sad to say that they were only at Capitan Suizo temporarily.

Logistics:

-We spent $730 each for a round trip flight from North Carolina with one layover and spent about $1500 between the two of us in Costa Rica.

-We took a taxi to and from Liberia Airport ($85 each way) but you may be able to catch a shuttle for about $25/person depending on the time you arrive.

-There is a $30 tax to leave the Country so save some money for your return trip.

-The forecast is very misleading. It called for scattered thunderstorms every day. We were rained on twice for a total of about 30 minutes in 10 days.

Jake

Room Tip: We did not upgrade our room to a bungalow but I thought our room was perfect for the two of us. It...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jake S
scottsdale
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The worst thing is they have no TVs in the room. My husband has a horrible time with that, I do not. The rooms are very nice and roomy. The bathroom is a bit less than desirable, but still decent.It just needs a little more polish. The beach here is awesome and away from all the hustle and bustle and all the hawkers of cheap beach merchandise. The food in the restaurant is excellent when you are not eating the included breakfast. The included breakfast is pretty weak. We stayed four nights and it was the same stuff, everyday. The only meat was this sausage thing like little smokies, not my thing, but my husband thought they were awesome. The pastries had ants in them every day and the juice got flies in it. I just thought the breakfast buffet was gross.The yogurt was room temp as was the fruit. But after that, we had lunch and dinner there and it was great. The food was very reasonable priced and very good. The pool is nice and they have wonderful lounge chairs around the pool. Comfortable beds. The bungalows looks really nice, but we stayed in a room with AC. Overall, I would give it a thumbs up.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple