“Private paradise”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
Boston, Massachusetts
“Private paradise”
Reviewed 16 December 2007

It's hard to express in words how incredible this place is.

Imagine you've just been invited to the private mountain estate of the most friendly, generous family on earth. At most there are four other couples staying with you, and all those people happen to also be friendly, interesting, and really fun to hang out with. The first woman who greets you and brings you smoothies and wine and nachos on the private terrace is also married to the man who drives you into town, teaches you about the local wildlife, and gives you the inside scoop on local life. The next woman who greets you is married to the next driver, who gives you a crash course in remedial Spanish to help you better navigate the food scene in town. Your last driver also happens to be the pastry chef responsible for the amazing croissants you get to eat every morning.

In the morning, you can either do the 5km walk around the forest, looking at monkeys, enormous butterflies, parrots, and other birds, or do yoga in the mountaintop ashram, looking out at the landscape and sometimes monkeys too, or just sit out on the private terrace by the pool with more fresh, whole-fruit smoothies... before making your way to breakfast with hot croissants, the most amazing fruit, eggs, rice & beans, and sometimes fried bananas or french toast as well.

In the afternoon, you have the tough choice of whether to stick around for the fresh, gourmet lunch or to get a ride to the gorgeous local beach (Avellanas), where you can take surfing lessons or just lie in the shade watching surfers and eat fantastic pizza and sandwiches at the beach-side restaurant. You also have to choose which day to do the spa... it would be crazy not to. With the sound of a waterfall behind you and views out across the mountains, you get the highest level of massage and body care, interrupted only by that fresh, gourmet lunch brought to you right by the hot tub.

In the evening, either you have dinner right there -- again, incredible food -- or you get a ride into town for some restaurants that are very good, and fun, but not so good you're not eager to get back to your mountain and gaze up at the stars. You've probably already seen a dozen monkeys during the day so are content to just view th smaller local wildlife... cute little frogs and geckos and giant toads and grasshoppers hanging out by the pool.

The only downside of going to Los Altos de Eros is that any future vacations will have a very hard time living up to this experience!!

• Liked — Small, intimate atmosphere
  • Disliked — Difficult roads getting to and from (though this also added to the isolation we liked)
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AYinJP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Chicago
Reviewed 8 December 2007

I can't even begin to explain how amazing of a time we had at Los Altos de Eros. My husband and I went there for the second half of our honeymoon and are grateful to have traveled in that order because I don't think we would have left otherwise! To give you an idea as to how we were greeted, if you've ever seen the movie Annie and the scene where she's entering the mansion and everyone is just looking at her smiling and ready to help her with whatever will make yher comfortable, that's how it was for us! Everyone who works there is genuinely kind, considerate, and fun to be around! The service was impeccable, the food was fresh and healthy (we have asked for recipes!), the other guests were so much fun to hang out/eat with and the staff was so gracious and so much fun! They provide whatever it takes to make it a nice experience for you. Our last night, they even took us to a local carnival and since we love that sort of thing----doing things that locals do----we loved it! I could sit here and name every single thing they did for us but it would honestly take up pages and pages. What i can say though is that we work hard to travel and have many places in the world that we would like to see one day or another....so we don't go back to the same place for that reason BUT because of this experience---there will be an exception and we will return!!! Thank you to everyone who helped make our homeymoon one of the best trips of our lives!
Melissa and Brian ---Chicago/Las Vegas

Stayed November 2007
4 Thank MelissaLupo
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 1 December 2007

Well, it has been 6 months since we left LADE and we apologize for taking so long to write, but in no way is that a reflection on our experience at this unreal place. My wife and I eloped to CR from July 12-17, 2007 and stayed at LADE. From the moment we arrived in Liberia, we could tell this would be a special experience. From all the reviews we had read, I think we were a bit pesimistic that this place could live up to the hype. Believe me it does.

We were greeted at the airport by one of the resorts drivers who was extremely friendly, gave us some commentary of the landscape as we drove to the resort and also had a cooler of refreshments, which was nice. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the wonderful staff and of course the owners Calvin and Jacqueline. The rooms are a bit small, but completely adequate for the environment and the outdoor shower is something I wish I could experience every day.

The grounds of the resort itself are nothing short of stunning. The staff of LADE are constantly working to keep it in tip top shape and it shows. The pool is spotless and there is no better way to spend you time than lounging in or around the pool while staring into the rainforest. If you enjoy flowers, monkeys, fresh air and beautiful views, you will be in for a treat.

While I enjoyed every aspect of my stay at LADE, one of the things I was most pleasantly surprised at was the extremely high quality of the food. A complete breakfast with eggs, fresh fruit, baked goods and coffee is served every morning. An amazing lunch is provided every day and dinner is served on saturday night and tuesday night. All the cooking is done on site in the open kitchen or by Calvin in the outdoor grill. My wife and I have done a considerable amount of traveling and with her being a chef, we are pretty in tune to the culinary aspects of traveling and resorts. I would give the food at LADE an "A+" and that is a testament to the high quality of food they use and also the skills of the hardworking ladies in the kitchen. Additionally, I caught a 30 pound red snapper that the ladies cooked for all of the guests. To date, it was the best tasting fish I have ever had in my life.

The overall hightlight of our trip was of course getting married. Again, LADE came through for us. We were supposed to get married at sunset on the beach in Tamarindo. However, at the time we were set to leave, it was raining so hard you could not see. While the rain in CR can be quite a beautiful experience, especially from the resort, it is not ideal for a marriage ceremony. As an "alternative" Jacqueline suggested that we get married in the yoga studio on the grounds. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise because just as our ceremony was to start, the rain stopped and with the steam rising from the jungle, the view from the yoga studio was nothing short of spectacular. The atmosphere of the jungle, the animals, the ashram and our new friends from LADE who all came down to watch the ceremony made our wedding more wonderful that we ever could have imagined. Our friends look at the pictures and are completely stunned.

Basically, I could go on and on about this amazing resort, but the bottom line is that everyone with the opportunity should make an attempt to visit. I know we will certainly be back in the future.

Thank you Jacqueline, Calvin & all the staff at LADE for making our vacation to Costa Rica and our wedding a memory we hold on to forever!!!

4 Thank majtau
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 November 2007

I don’t even know where to begin with describing the luxury and beauty that is Los Altos de Eros. Everything you have read about this beautiful resort is true. The beauty, the pampering, and the wonderful people all amount to the most amazing vacation I have ever experienced. Jacqueline and Calvin really have created a resort that feels more like “home,” than any place we have visited.

Other reviewers have elaborated on the beauty, and the photos don’t even do the place justice. I won’t repeat what everybody else has already said about how gorgeous this place is -- instead, I’ll fill you in on some things that I haven’t really seen covered in other reviews as much.

Other guests: Yes, you eat your meals together. We loved this! Because of this experience, we met a great couple who we look forward to keeping in contact with (Hi David and Jill!). There was another couple who chose to eat their meals in their room -- and none of us seemed to mind. You don’t feel “forced” to eat with other guests, rather -- if others join you at the table, great! If they don't, it's no big deal.

Privacy: We stayed in the suite upstairs (amazing!!), and didn’t have any concerns about privacy because of the location of the room. However, I remember one reviewer saying that the curtains on the ground-level guestrooms by the pool were see-through. Not true. While in the pool one afternoon, I made a point to try to look into one of the vacant rooms thru the curtain. Trust me -- they’re not see-through. If you stay in one of the king or queen rooms, you have absolute privacy.

Food: The breakfasts and lunches were amazing. The meals are traditional Costa Rican meals, and the best meals we ate while in Costa Rica. I cannot rave enough about the food! They serve dinner on Tuesday and Saturday nights -- and if you choose to stay at the hotel for dinner the other nights, they have “snacks” for $20/person. The “snacks” are essentially dinners and were equally fantastic.

Drivers: Los Altos de Eros has drivers who will take you where you want to go. We loved Javier and Francisco! They took us to the beach a few times and to town. You simply let them know when you want to be picked up, and they’ll come get you.

Staff: The resort is beautiful, the rooms are amazing, and the food is excellent, but it’s the staff that make this place what it is. Everybody was so thoughtful and kind .. they give 110% to ensure the guests are pampered and happy (yet they don’t hover over you). When we went to the beach, they packed us a beach bag with towels and water. When we went on a day excursion, they packed us sodas and water. When we lounged by the pool, they kept the wine and beer flowing.

Thank you everybody at Los Altos de Eros for such a great time. We promise to return, and cannot wait to see you again.

6 Thank MtnCountry
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 November 2007

My wife and I recently stayed here on our honeymoon. I did an incredible amount of research to find a place that would live up to our expectations. This place met our expectations and exceeded them over and over again. We are very very picky when it comes to hotels and believe me when I tell you, this place will blow you away. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Maui last Christmas and I can easily say I would pick Los Altos over it hands down. The hotel and rooms are beautiful and immaculately clean, but it really is the people that make this place special. The staff is absolutely amazing and will cater to your every need. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

One thing I was also concerned about was the food, but you dont have to worry. I dont think I have eaten that good in a long long time. Some of the best meals I have ever had.

Another great part of this place is the interaction with the other guests. We met some amazing people from all over, which just added to our experience.

I would definitely recommend at least a week here or you will be trying to change your travel plans to stay longer (like we did). I also highly recommend the Sunset Couples Massage and Romantic Dinner if you do stay here. You will not regret it.

Calvin and Jacqueline, you guys are amazing and have really outdone yourselves with this place. We really loved talking to you guys and cant wait to come back.

J&T

• Liked — People, Views, Rooms, Property, and Food
  • Disliked — Nada!
4 Thank travelingfool2222
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 November 2007

We ended our 12 night honeymoon here at the Los Altos de Eros, stayed there for the last 4 nights. I knew from the other reviews here that it would be amazing so we stayed at less expensive hotels for the first 8 nights. They were nice, but we were really looking forward to our time here, which was way too short. I would highly recommend staying here at least a week, and you must stay here at the end of your trip. There's no going from the Los Altos de Eros to any other hotel, you will be disappointed and want to go back, which another couple did while we were there.

We had a great time socializing with the other couples during meals and around the pool, it is a very intimate and comfortable atmosphere, as it was designed to be. You can tell the minute you walk in the door and see the view of the green valley and the ocean, that it's a very special place.

The food is the best we had anywhere in the country, as is the service and the hotel overall. We travel at least once a month since I'm a travel agent and travel photographer and now we're spoiled. It's going to be impossible for other hotels to compare, we'll just have to make the best of them until we return. We were so happy to be able to spend a part of our honeymoon there and will come back as often as possible.

Thanks to all the staff at the Los Altos de Eros, we couldn't have asked for anything more.

• Liked — Everything was incredible, the room, food, employees, owners, views.
  • Disliked — Nothing at all, except that we had to leave.
3 Thank Todd H
Miami, FL
Reviewed 11 October 2007

My wife and I decided to start are two week honeymoon at Los Altos de Eros and I must say it was an excellent choice. Like many other reviews have noted the service is unparalled and the owners make the guests feel at home. The spa service was incredible, excellent service and quality. We only stayed 3 days and the only downside to our honeymoon was that we continually compared every other place we stayed at during our trip to Altos. All in all one of the best places I have stayed at while travelling outside the US. Also, I must mention, the owners were incredibly kind and gave us a nice departing gift that I truly appreciated and helped us enjoy the remainder of our vacation even more.

• Liked — Staff, Service and Spa
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple