“Great Place to Unwind...”
Review of Los Altos de Eros

Los Altos de Eros
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
Reviewed 29 November 2012

My husband and I just returned from a stay at LADE. It actually was a great time of year to go as it was the end of rainy season and beginning of their dry season and the weather could not have been more perfect. What sets this place apart is the service and value. The food is good, not gourmet over the top, but simple, fresh and delicious. The coffee is divine! The staff makes you feel very welcome and is available to meet every request. We especially enjoyed the Saturday night dinner and local entertainment. We also did not mind eating with the other couples as it was fun to get tips from their trip as well. The spa is amazing! Take advantage of the half off treatments and indulge! We also did the zipline with Playa Aventura and it wias a fun excursion. We also did morning yoga and it was very good.
The only constructive criticism have to do with the rooms, they are more four star:
The window treatments/curtains are very thin and as soon as the light comes up you are up. Now this was not that big of a deal for us as we are early birds, but if you did want to sleep in, it would be near impossible.
Also, the pillows are pretty lumpy and could be replaced.

Overall, wonderful place and I would recommend to anyone!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ClearBLU

Reviewed 29 November 2012

So my girlfriend has raved about this place for the last two years that we have been together and last Christmas a group of us (4 couples) decided that we were going to make this trip happen! So I flew in from Los Altos De Eros and arrived home less than two hours and I miss the place already! The Staff is wonderful! Francisco and Ari really do spoil you the entire time that you are there. The owners Calvin and his wife Jackie are super cool! So okay let's get to the nitty gritty! The food was superb, go out if you want but you won't find anything better. The full body massage is a MUST! Oh wow I left there so relaxed! If you want something more romantic do the sunset massage and dinner! Come as one couple or do like we did and bring your friends to share the experience with! All I can say is my girlfriend Sherrelle and myself will be back! Our crew is ready to go back as well and take over the place. Back to the review if you want to do off site excursions, they will coordinate them for you as well, I suggest the zipline (canopy tour), it was a blast. When I go back I am going to have to take surf lessons.

Reviewed 28 November 2012

My husband and I travelled from Tamarindo to Los Altos de Eros for a Spa day. They sent a driver to pick us up from our hotel in Tamarindo and when we arrived they offered us wine! We both had the massage, Chocolate scrub, and the Volcano mud wrap. All were great but my favorite was the massage! The lunch was great - shrimp, chicken, salad, and wine!

A couple of things we didn't enjoy -
Their pool was a bit too close to the spa so we could hear laughter from the people hanging out at the pool which was not very relaxing.
Ants starting swarming the room as soon as the chocolate was put out for the scrub!
Iguanas on the roof were huge and kept making loud noises as they were walking above us.

Overall great experience given the amazing views from that place.

1  Thank mehinojosa
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We spent 4 nights at LADE to celebrate our anniversary and it was incredible. We sprung for the suite upstairs which is more expensive, but a lot more space and a private balcony with views of the mountains and the Pacific where we drank coffee every morning (not a bad way to start the day). We ate every meal at the resort and the food was delicious (thanks Andrea!). The staff is delightful and really want to make sure you are well taken care of. They took great care to plan any adventures we wanted and to accommodate special dietary needs. The couples sunset massage was amazing. They close down the spa for you while you get a massage, followed by champagne and strawberries, then personalized dinner. Very relaxing. We did the Pura Aventura zipline tour, which was really fun, the hike around the property (definitely a better morning activity as there are lots of hills) and I did an outdoor yoga class before breakfast one day which I really enjoyed as well. Couples rotated in and out while we were there and we enjoyed all of the other guests (honeymooners to 20 year anniversary celebrators) we got to know during our stay. This is not a place where you can expect anonymity because of the size of the resort and the family-style dining, but we really liked that about LADE.

If you are thinking about it, go! You can't go wrong with this resort!! We will definitely be back and are spreading the word to our family and friends.

Thanks again for a fabulous vacation!!!

Room Tip: Spring for the suite if you can! Private balcony and lots of space.
1  Thank Emily K
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I have been to this Spa for a full day treatment 8 times now and I just can't say enough about it. It is so special and amazing. So even if you are not a guest at this most beautiful little gem of a hotel you can get to spend 4 plus hours there. They pick you up and take you home i their van so no need to worry about driving up those steep hills yourselves. I had the 1.5 hrs. massage, chocolate scrub and a oatmeal honey facial and it was all amazing. You end up eating an amazingly fresh lunch made up of grilled shrimp and chicken, Caprese salad and ceviche plus plenty of wine and a fruit smoothy. All this for $250. It is a must if you are visiting this area of Costa Rica.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Just arrived home last night from a 7 day stay at Los Altos De Eros (LADE). I usually do not post a review so soon after getitng home, but LADE deserves the attention. I will pass on re stating what all the other reviews consistently state. Just know we rated this an excellent stay from day one.

If you are using T.A. to plan your next vacation, simply rely on the reviews, they are spot on. Calvin and Jacquiline have created a truly unique experience and every single member of the staff works hard to make your stay unbelievable. They are simply the "Best of the Best" in every aspect imaginable. I could not thank Ari, Tattiana, Francisco, Andrea, (the incredible new Chef) and all the other staff, enough.

Once you decide LADE is the place, and you should, here are the must do's:

(1) couples massage
(2) Taking Coco on the 3.5 mile hike
(3) Staying up poolside, enjoying the free wine and Cohiba's while listening to the Howler's
(4) The Saturday dinner, with live music.

Off premisses we did two excursions; the Zip Lines with Pura Aventura and some sport fishing on the half day trip. Pura Aventura runs a very safe and fun zip line tour, with about 12 cables of varying length and speed and nice little "surprise" at the end. Pura Aventura had some very good long cables and at a very reasonable $50 per person price. Highly recommended if you want a bit of an adreneline rush but not over the top.

Fishing was also a very good deal at $300 for the half day to reserve the entire boat. We caught plenty of Tuna. Enough for Andrea to include in that day's lunch. Both were excellent off site options. My recommendation for any off site excursions is to book through LADE as they will not steer you wrong. Just make sure you are back in time for dinner...it is that good.

A few final thoughts: Do go in with an open mind, the close quarters and community meals is a unqiue experience. If you go in with the wrong mindset, it could imapct your stay, but if you are looking for a place for your honeymoon, to rekindle a romance or just get away from the hassles of bigger resorts, I cannot think of a better place to stay.

We are both looking forward to our return.

Room Tip: Splurge for the Suite on the second floor (room 5 I think) if you can. It is worth the extra dollar...
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I can't say much that's not already said here. We stayed for our honeymoon and chose the King Size Package, which we were very satisfied with.

Service is perfect, personal yet still professional. Location is perfect, food is good, the spa is amazing, especially the dinner/spa experience that shouldn't be missed! The pool area was so relaxing. On friday evening we even had our own private (together with one other couple) concert in the pool (see picture) Priceless. Cleaning and folding our clothes every day was a great plus! We had some really relaxing days here, and would easily recomment any of our friends to go here.

Just a word of advice - have reasonable expectations. That would give you an even better experience. The place is wonderful, but as no place, not without faults.

1) The place is small and that means that you cannot avoid the other guests, since you will dine with them for breakfast and dinner most of the time. If the other guests are nice, you'll have a wonderful experience to share, if they're not, they will be a source of irritation to your experience. If you're not the social kind of couple, maybe it's not the best place for you.

2) The rooms are surprisingly small to be a luxury resort. If you need lots of space (which you don't), you'll be disappointed. I would recommend the King Size rooms as a minimum.

3) The food is very good, the chefs does a good job, but considering all the superlatives here we were a little bit disappointed. I would say the food is made for American standards - with that I mean that size goes before design. You'll never go hungry here - that's for sure. Just don't expect Michelin Guide-standards.

4) For the Sunset Cruise, we thought that it would be a somewhat personal experience. It is not. It's about 40 people packed on a boat with a discodancing bartender playing loud music. It's still a nice break, but it was different from what we expected.

This is one of the best places we have stayed and we really enjoyed it. As long as you have reasonable expectation arriving here you will really enjoy your stay here!

Room Tip: Choose at least King Size Rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple