You arrive in Liberia after flying all day, don't speak Spanish, and are surrounded by cabbies competing for your fare and you see a friendly guy with a sign with your name on it. At that point, you are already thinking this is going to be a fantastic vaction. When you realize he speaks excellent English, is driving a comfortable SUV with beer (the local Imperial, of course) and a wide selection of other beverages, you are convinced of it. And you haven't even seen the resort, which you may not ever want to leave.
And if you are as lucky as we were, when you arrive on the premises the delightful staff will inform you "So sorry, but you are the only couple here tonight- is that ok?" Um, resort all to ourselves on the first day of our honeymoon? It's more than ok. And then they will begin a week of unlimited drinks (You may forget how to pour your own drink, or open your own door) and completely fantastic food (the quesadillas for lunch the first day with fresh guac...please meet me in heaven.)
The small nature of Los Altos with just 4 other couples, max, was so much fun. We met other honeymooners and couples on anniversary trips- all of whom made for just as excellent conversationalists as they did companions for surfing lessons and adventure trips.
And as all of the other reviewers have mentioned, the couples massage and romantic dinner is a requirement. It was absolutely the best night of our lives- better than our wedding day. Please don't go here without indulging in the spa at least once.
This place is all about the Staff- Calvin, the owner, goes out of his way to make you love the place as he does, Ari and Francisco are even our facebook friends; we'd take them out to dinner if they ever came to Columbus, and thank goodness for Antonio, who without scheduling or forewarning, rescued us from the rain and mosquitos in Tamarindo one night (during a soccer match, no less)! And we really do wish we could speak Spanish, because if we could, we'd tell the ladies in the kitchen that they are our heroes.
A couple of points of advice: Don't hesitate to bring payment for the room in cash. Just wear a money belt- we were concerned about carrying that much cash, but you're hardly in public at all and you have a private safe at Los Altos. It's worth it for the 10% discount.
-Tamarindo beach isn't all that- Playa Avellanas is gorgeous.
-The staff's advice is right on- if they suggest something, do it. If they say pass on something (ie snorkeling), they are right as well.
-Do the adventure tour at Rincon de la Vieja...and do the zip lines before lunch :-)
Thanks Los Altos- we'll be back as soon as we can!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a 5-Star Costa Rica boutique hotel & spa resting on a 27 acre estate atop a small mountain with stunning views to the Pacific Ocean. Within a 15 minute drive, (which we provide to you as a courtesy) you can surf, swim at two beaches, shop, take a canopy tour, go sport fishing, ride horses or ATV's, play golf, visit nearby towns, nightlife, restaurants. Day trips are available for whitewater tubing, rappelling down waterfalls, hot volcanic mud baths, and river experiences with crocodiles and with white faced monkeys in your boat! Rates Include: - Transportation to towns, beaches, shopping and all area attractions. - Full breakfast and delicious lunch every day. - Wash, dry, fold, iron laundry service. - Free Cuban cigars. - Exercise center, WiFi. - Concierge level service- 3 to 1 staff to guest ratio. - Coco the Chocolate Lab. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Los Altos de Eros reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Altos De Eros Hotel Tamarindo
- Los Altos De Eros Tamarindo