“A honeymoon better than we could have ever imagined.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Los Altos de Eros

Los Altos de Eros
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
Columbus, Ohio
“A honeymoon better than we could have ever imagined.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2009

You arrive in Liberia after flying all day, don't speak Spanish, and are surrounded by cabbies competing for your fare and you see a friendly guy with a sign with your name on it. At that point, you are already thinking this is going to be a fantastic vaction. When you realize he speaks excellent English, is driving a comfortable SUV with beer (the local Imperial, of course) and a wide selection of other beverages, you are convinced of it. And you haven't even seen the resort, which you may not ever want to leave.
And if you are as lucky as we were, when you arrive on the premises the delightful staff will inform you "So sorry, but you are the only couple here tonight- is that ok?" Um, resort all to ourselves on the first day of our honeymoon? It's more than ok. And then they will begin a week of unlimited drinks (You may forget how to pour your own drink, or open your own door) and completely fantastic food (the quesadillas for lunch the first day with fresh guac...please meet me in heaven.)
The small nature of Los Altos with just 4 other couples, max, was so much fun. We met other honeymooners and couples on anniversary trips- all of whom made for just as excellent conversationalists as they did companions for surfing lessons and adventure trips.
And as all of the other reviewers have mentioned, the couples massage and romantic dinner is a requirement. It was absolutely the best night of our lives- better than our wedding day. Please don't go here without indulging in the spa at least once.
This place is all about the Staff- Calvin, the owner, goes out of his way to make you love the place as he does, Ari and Francisco are even our facebook friends; we'd take them out to dinner if they ever came to Columbus, and thank goodness for Antonio, who without scheduling or forewarning, rescued us from the rain and mosquitos in Tamarindo one night (during a soccer match, no less)! And we really do wish we could speak Spanish, because if we could, we'd tell the ladies in the kitchen that they are our heroes.
A couple of points of advice: Don't hesitate to bring payment for the room in cash. Just wear a money belt- we were concerned about carrying that much cash, but you're hardly in public at all and you have a private safe at Los Altos. It's worth it for the 10% discount.
-Tamarindo beach isn't all that- Playa Avellanas is gorgeous.
-The staff's advice is right on- if they suggest something, do it. If they say pass on something (ie snorkeling), they are right as well.
-Do the adventure tour at Rincon de la Vieja...and do the zip lines before lunch :-)
Thanks Los Altos- we'll be back as soon as we can!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scarletpaisley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

The first half of our honeymoon was truly a unique and wonderful experience at Los Altos. From the moment that we were picked up by Francisco at the airport and started to learn of this wonderful country (while partaking in our first Imperial!), we knew this was going to be a trip that we would never forget. As mentioned before in many reviews, the staff at LADE truly sets this resort apart from the rest. The service is second to none and the details (beautiful local flowers in the room daily, welcome champagne & snacks, laundry service, private transportation, daily walks, LADE staff with us on our excursions, etc etc etc) are flawless. One thing I was surprised by was the quality of the food. Every meal we had was AMAZING! We had one meal outside of the resort and never made that mistake again! The spa was also fabulous. The sunset dinner and massage was probably our most romantic evening of the trip and highly recommended. We were also very lucky to meet two wonderful couples that we had memorable experiences with. The trip to Rincon de la Vieja was a blast (zip-lining, horseback riding, tubing, mud bath, hot water spring!). Thank you to everyone at Los Altos, as we know you worked so hard to make our time so wonderful! We hope to be back some day and promise to know more Spanish at that time.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

We just got back from spending a week at Los Altos. The occasion was our 10 year anniversary celebration. Although we have traveled to many different destinations, this was our first time in Costa Rica. I'm sure if you are considering going to Los Altos, you have already read the other reviews so I'm not going to repeat what has already been said. This is a wonderful place that has it all, luxurious accommodations, a beautiful (talking about the women) and caring staff that go out of their way to see to your every need, and great food. Calvin (owner) has really put something special together. If you want to have privacy, rent the Eros Suite which is the deal of the century. We had our own private patio, a private jacuzzi, and three times the space of the other rooms. If you want to party and mingle with the other folks, you can do that as well. Although we could have spent more time by ourselves, we chose not to because we had such a good time hanging out with the other guests. The surroundings are beautiful and we suggest taking a horseback ride with a guy named "Mario" about 20 minutes from the hotel. He will take you through some incredible scenery that will let you experience Costa Rica first hand. The staff can arrange the ride for you plus a number of other excursions.
Some quick tips:
1. Take a ride into town (Tamarindo) one night after dinner (or before if you prefer) and experience some of the local music and night life that the town offers. There is wonderful latin music at La Barre (sp?), great dance music at Monkey Bar and Aqua and reggae music at Babylon.
2. Don't worry about bringing a ton of clothes. They do your laundry there everyday at no extra charge. We came back with a suitcase full of clean clothes.
3. Take the Rincon tour and do the canopy ride. We skipped the mud bath because I could do that here in Georgia if I wanted to.
4. Don't worry about buying cuban cigars in town because Calvin provides them free....thats right, at no extra charge, not to mention all the beer and wine that you can drink. I don't think Four Seasons would give you a deal like that.
5. Sharpen up your poker skills. There are casino style cards and chips at the property and we had a great time playing holdem after dinner with the other guests and Calvin. Sorry to take your money guys :)
and ohhh, I almost forgot:
6. Do the 4 hands massage at the spa. It is the best massage you will ever get.

R

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2009

This adult only, 5 room resort is beyond what can be imagined. My husband and I stayed on our 30th wedding anniversary. The actual day fell on the day the spa offers dinner as part of the package. We had seared bass with skewered shrimp, it was mouth-watering. The price includes everything! even the wonderful Costa Rican liquers, yum.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

Exactly a month has gone by and I still find myself flipping through all of the pictures we took on our honeymoon, wishing I could go back, lay out on our little deck, drink one of the smoothies and relax with a book in my hand. This was definately the best vacation I have ever taken.

All of the good things you've read about on here are true - from the amazing staff to the wonderful food to the breathtaking sunsets. A few personal notes:

- I'm a planner, so I was hesitant about the fact that none of our activities were reserved before we got there (besides the Sunset Massage & Romantic Dinner - go for it!). However, the staff was so accomodating - we set up trips to town and the beach, a canopy tour, and the catamaran trip with the wonderful managers. For Tamarindo & Lolas we just let them know after breakfast and the drivers took us, with the zip line and catamaran we let them know a day ahead of time and they set everything up for us!

- I was also slightly worried about interacting with the other guests (you never know how well you'll get along with other people), but that turned out to be no problem at all. We got ended up really enjoying our time with the other couples, but it was also no problem for us to excuse ourselves and relax on our own or go do our own thing.

- The food was great - we loved every single meal that we ate. While breakfast was similar each day (not a bad thing - the rice and beans were spectacular, as were the pastries) lunch was always varied and delicious. On our last two nights we stayed for the bocas - they were about the same price as the meals we ate in Tamarindo and were much, much better. I would recomment eating out at least once, just to see the town and try something different, but don't hesitate to stay! Plus you get to enjoy the sunset, which was always beautiful!

Go, and enjoy every minute of it! I know that we did!!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Trophy Club, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

I have been meaning to write this for sometime. Over a year later I am still telling people about this amazing hidden treasure in the hills of Costa Rica. The service is truly incredible and I can not wait to return. My wife and I traveled to Costa Rica and stayed at an all inclusive for a few nights (which we thought was awesome) and then made our way up to Los Altos. Los Altos will pick you up and take you wherever you want to go whenever you want to go. The food,spa,and scenery is truly why you go. The room is adequate but nothing special but who wants to stay in their room in a place like Los Altos. The pool is big enough as their is only 5 rooms on the property therefore you are only sharing the pool with possibly 4 other couples. To close I have traveled extensively and the service that Los Altos provides is the best I have ever had.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

We found Los Altos de Eros to be everything we had hoped. It absolutely lived up to the reviews here on Trip Advisor! So rather than repeat all the wonderful things that have been said, I thought I'd post a few things I wish I would have known prior to going, in hopes that the information may help some fellow travelers.

- Do not overpack. They do your laundry every day at Los Altos. We took way too much stuff and had nowhere to put it in the room. You'll truly be fine with just a few items.
- If you can swing it, go for the Eros Suite. The extra space is definitely worth the price. While at Los Altos, we stayed in a queen room for a couple days, a king room for a couple days, and the suite for a couple days. The suite was fantastic.
- The Borinquen day trip with the mud bath and zip-line tour is amazing. Go for it.
- The private dinner and couples massage in the spa is very romantic and definitely worth it. Reserve it in advance though.
- If you enjoy exercise, definitely go for the morning walk.
- The cookies and croissants are superb. :)
- We found the pressure of the massages at Los Altos to be deeper than normal. Although we loved it, if you don't enjoy deep tissue, simply tell them ahead of time.
- Some of the guests at Los Altos are people we will remain friends with for life. Such a great crowd! If you are looking, however, for absolute privacy all the time, you may want to reconsider. This is a unique place and it's as if you're sharing a villa with people. The vibe of the resort is one of friendliness & fun and you share a table for all meals.
- After 3 a.m. the stars are simply indescribable. Our flight left at the crack of dawn and we had to leave Los Altos at 4:00 a.m. My husband took me by the hand and said, "You won't believe this." He was right. I have traveled all over, been out to sea for weeks on a small boat, and I have never seen stars like I saw that morning at Los Altos. They seemed so close, as if you could reach out and touch them. It was so utterly magical that I get choked up thinking about it. It's a treasured memory that I will never, ever forget.

Enjoy your trip!