“Don't stay here”

Hotel La Laguna del cocodrilo
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
“Don't stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

The second worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Lumpy mattress, air conditioning that was very loud but produced no cold air, and a leaky shower that generates two inches of standing water and lot dog Mosquitos.

After spending two hot and mosquito-bitten nights here, I had nearly a lot my sanity.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Daved109

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked this place after being referred by the 'witch's rock surf camp' as they were fully booked. We spoke to sandy on the phone because we couldn't make a booking on the Internet and were about to get on a bus for 5 hours. She was very helpful and told me to send an email through to confirm it. Because we were about to get on a bus I couldn't do this so we just crossed our fingers that they'd remember us when we arrived. We got there at about 6pm and found 'Leo' their lovely security guard who called sandy and confirmed who we were. He showed us to 'the studio' which was the full setup. It had ac, a fan, a fridge, kitchen, bookshelves etc and it was clean!!!! It was $75 a night and the best value accommodation I've come across in my travels so far. It is just far enough away from the main drag so it was quiet and a 2 minute walk from the centre of town and great restaurants AND IT IS RIGHT ON THE BEACH. Not the main touristy area but the hotel essentially has its own private beach section. When we woke up in the morning (after a great nights sleep) we realised that there is a french bakery on site!!!! We could not have planned it any better. We literally had breakfast and lunch there the whole time we were in Tamarindo. Sandy was super helpful whenever we had questions and I can honestly say that I will miss this place!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I loved this hotel!!! This was our third hotel on our trip and after the mess of the last one, this was much appreciated. Cedric is so nice, helpful and fun. He was as happy to see us as we were to see him. We stayed in room 2. When he told us about the room he said "either king bed or two singles" which we didn't understand how it could be either/or, but then I realized that the king bed is two singles pushed together with an added foam piece between them. That made us laugh. My friend didn't think the bed was comfortable but I loved it. It was an orthopedic mattress or at least felt like it. Air conditioner was cold and room was clean. We had a hiccup with the hot water in the shower the first day but then I fixed it and we were good to go. It's a quick hop and skip to the beach, but while you're hopping and skipping you may want to consider bug spray for the walk. When we'd come home from the beach the mosquitos in the marshy area you walk through would eat you alive!!!! Come prepared for that. They lock the doors to the hotel round 11pm at night which I liked. We also had a fridge in our room which was great.

One thing we didn't realize was that there was a bakery attached to the hotel!!! Amazing breakfast and very friendly staff. They have this sandwich that is a double decker ham and cheese with an egg on top that will blow your mind. They have lots of drink options including gatorade which was great after a super duper hot day on the beach.

I would definitely stay here again. Our room was $75/night when paid with cash on a Friday & Saturday night.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room facing the ocean. The rooms on the front look kinda lame. Drink lot...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cat S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

If I came back to Tamarindo I would quite likely stay here again. The hotel is located on the edge of town, meaning that it is away from the hustle and bustle of "downtown" Tamarindo. Situated at the edge of the business district, you have proximity to all the shops, bars, and restaurants, while also enjoying a quiet retreat. The room I had was lovely - tasteful decor, impeccably clean, lovely view of the garden and ocean beyond it, hot shower. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The hotel has a French bakery in the downstairs, which serves delicious coffee. The croissants are not authentic Parisian (more dense than flakey) but delicious nonetheless. The prices here were a bit higher than I wanted to pay, but traveling alone I was willing to pay a premium for a place where I could enjoy the balcony, figuring I would have more downtime than traveling with friends. The cost is the one thing that would cause me to look elsewhere on a return trip - I suspect there are other nice accommodations that balance proximity with quiet that are more affordable.

Room Tip: It will cost more, but choose beach or garden view to enjoy the view and patio. Street side rooms ar...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I had stayed several nights across the street at the Best Western before spending my last night in Tamarindo at Laguna de Cocodrilo. I wished that I had stayed there for the entire visit. The attitude of the staff, the location right on the beach, the adorable garden patio...just wonderful. If you are a Francophile, in particular, then this is the place for you! There is a delicious patisserie connected with the hotel. My boyfriend bought chocolate there and it was some of the best chocolate I have ever eaten!

My room on the ground floor had a little patio that looked out on to the garden and the beach. It was a simple room, but very peaceful and relaxing. I loved this hotel and will definitely come back for a longer visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We really like it here. We were doing surf camp at the nearby Witch's Rock and they put us up here because they ran out of space at their own hotel. But it worked to our advantage as our hotel was quiet and small, away from the business of the surf camp. And it was only a 2 min walk away by foot, along the road or beach. Nice garden, with hammack and sunset view, and good food (with a French twist as the owners are French), though were only had one meal there. The only drawback to this place was that the bed was very creaky. Otherwise, great deal. Simple but clean and great location. Ideal for singles too.

Room Tip: We had one facing the beach / garden - very nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed one night after a day trip to the beach. The proprietor and his SO are friendly and helpful. However, she speaks limited English; there were times when the owner was tied up and I had some difficulty communicating. The accommodations were appropriate for pricing. Comfy but not fancy. I liked the one bedroom with kitchenette that I stayed in. It had a balcony that faced the (busy) street, but there was enough foliage and fencing to offer moderate privacy. Yes, this place is waterfront, but does not have access to the public beach (an easy 10-15 minute walk down the main strip). I visited only a few weeks after a significant earthquake in the area, and I believe the town was still recovering. The stone tile in my room was broken and covered with a mat while awaiting repair. Also the electricity was out when I arrived (during a heavy rainfall) and did not return for several hours. I'm not sure if this is a regular occurrence during the rainy season or if it was an exceptionally heavy downpour. FYI this is on the main road in Tamarindo, but not very walkable to many restaurants or nightlife which is good or bad depending on how you look at it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo