“Iconic, delicious, perfection”

Hotel La Laguna del cocodrilo
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed here in Tamarindo for 4 nights. The food is unbelievable, between the french bakery in the morning (can you beat fresh croissants and latte?) and fantastic, fresh fare for lunch and dinner from "El Chef-O" (a Salvadoran born chef trained in Denver now testing his skills on the Tamarindo crowd). Best fish tacos I've ever eat. Rooms are simple, beds and showers everything you need with nothing more. Beach access is further down separate from the crazy, overcrowded main street but close enough to still have access to everything going on. If you want unique, delicious, lively, familial, separate and perfect location... this is it.

Room Tip: All rooms relatively similar.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Hannah P

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Got booked here since Witches Rock was full, the location to the beach was perfect.
The place meets my list of laidback requirements.
Be advised, this is not meant to be a luxury stay. Its rustic, on the beach and perfect for surfers or someone wanting that close access to the beach. There were a couple of mosquito's in the room but this is expected, rooms have open access to the outside so just cover up. I didn't get bit, I squished our friends on day 1..
No in room coffee makers and blow dryers and stuff like that but it's got character where it counts!!!!!!!!
- Clean, clean room, clean linens, clean hotel overall with regards to the grounds.
- Safe, i felt very safe at this location, it was a little dark on that side of the street but so many folks out and about. Its a walk to everything, shops, bars, restaurants, Witches Rock for surf lessons.
- has its own private walk out to the beach.
- Run by nice people, the owners were very friendly
- onsite access to food and beverage. The french bakery that's attached to the hotel has some great breakfast food and coffee. We packed stuff for brunch on the beach.. YUM.
-The Restaurant and bar was the highlight, it was like our little hangout, just the right number of people, had that neighborhood feel to it. The food was amazing!!!!!!!! I will be writing a separate review just for Omar, The Laguna Lounge, Chef and owner.
I understand the rooms are bigger here then at witches rock, a new friend we met, stayed at witches rock for days then transferred and reported this info so I thought I would share it. Perhaps booking at Crocodillo and getting seperate surf lessons is a good cheaper alternative that I'll be doing in January when I go back for another long weekend :-)

Room Tip: Garden View is nice, they also have balcony and rooms with kitchenettes
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dv8angel
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed here after booking surf vacation with Witch's Rock Surf Camp and their hotel was full. The hotel was clean and friendly. Great French bakery at hotel. The Chef was awesome, Lobster, Steak, Tacos, whole Snappers and more. The food here was delicious.
Location was great for surfing and close to town.

Room Tip: The garden view is nice then the street view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank sjkogan
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed here after booking surf vacation with Witch's Rock Surf Camp and their hotel was full. I enjoyed my week here and stayed in one of the suites that had a kitchen which help. My only downside to my room was that there was no curtain in the shower so everyone walking on the street could see me show but I remedied the situation with a beach towel. Probably the best thing about this place was the French Bakery located onsite which would open at 6am. Probably the best French Bakery I have ever eaten at as I ate there almost everyday even with having a free breakfast down the street at Witches Rock. I was a little concerned with the beware of crocodiles sign the first day walking through the marsh to get to the beach but most of the area had been cleared of vegetation to see everything. I would recommend staying here if going on a surf vacation as it is a good home base.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

The second worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Lumpy mattress, air conditioning that was very loud but produced no cold air, and a leaky shower that generates two inches of standing water and lot dog Mosquitos.

After spending two hot and mosquito-bitten nights here, I had nearly a lot my sanity.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Daved109
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked this place after being referred by the 'witch's rock surf camp' as they were fully booked. We spoke to sandy on the phone because we couldn't make a booking on the Internet and were about to get on a bus for 5 hours. She was very helpful and told me to send an email through to confirm it. Because we were about to get on a bus I couldn't do this so we just crossed our fingers that they'd remember us when we arrived. We got there at about 6pm and found 'Leo' their lovely security guard who called sandy and confirmed who we were. He showed us to 'the studio' which was the full setup. It had ac, a fan, a fridge, kitchen, bookshelves etc and it was clean!!!! It was $75 a night and the best value accommodation I've come across in my travels so far. It is just far enough away from the main drag so it was quiet and a 2 minute walk from the centre of town and great restaurants AND IT IS RIGHT ON THE BEACH. Not the main touristy area but the hotel essentially has its own private beach section. When we woke up in the morning (after a great nights sleep) we realised that there is a french bakery on site!!!! We could not have planned it any better. We literally had breakfast and lunch there the whole time we were in Tamarindo. Sandy was super helpful whenever we had questions and I can honestly say that I will miss this place!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I loved this hotel!!! This was our third hotel on our trip and after the mess of the last one, this was much appreciated. Cedric is so nice, helpful and fun. He was as happy to see us as we were to see him. We stayed in room 2. When he told us about the room he said "either king bed or two singles" which we didn't understand how it could be either/or, but then I realized that the king bed is two singles pushed together with an added foam piece between them. That made us laugh. My friend didn't think the bed was comfortable but I loved it. It was an orthopedic mattress or at least felt like it. Air conditioner was cold and room was clean. We had a hiccup with the hot water in the shower the first day but then I fixed it and we were good to go. It's a quick hop and skip to the beach, but while you're hopping and skipping you may want to consider bug spray for the walk. When we'd come home from the beach the mosquitos in the marshy area you walk through would eat you alive!!!! Come prepared for that. They lock the doors to the hotel round 11pm at night which I liked. We also had a fridge in our room which was great.

One thing we didn't realize was that there was a bakery attached to the hotel!!! Amazing breakfast and very friendly staff. They have this sandwich that is a double decker ham and cheese with an egg on top that will blow your mind. They have lots of drink options including gatorade which was great after a super duper hot day on the beach.

I would definitely stay here again. Our room was $75/night when paid with cash on a Friday & Saturday night.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room facing the ocean. The rooms on the front look kinda lame. Drink lot...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends