“Tamarific!”

Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
Los Angeles, California
“Tamarific!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My friend and I had just arrived in Tamarindo from a long airplane ride, and the staff made everything incredibly easy and comforting right off the bat! We spent out first two nights there, and I couldn't speak more highly of the staff. Sandy and Cedric are super friendly! Patricia at the front desk is a little gem of her own - she gave us all sorts of advise on where to go and what to do. Did I mention they have a really good bakery there? I suggest the chocolate croissant. La Laguna fits right in with the Pura Vida lifestyle. It's right on the beach, which made things real easy. They speak Spanish, English and French. There's also a monkey trail that surrounds the hotel - very entertaining! Great experience, I highly suggest staying there!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gabrielle S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

With excellent hospitality, this hotel is a good option for anyone looking for a quiet, clean and safe hotel. Within walking distance of all the Tamarindo. They have an excellent French bakery on site and the staff make you feel like family.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Booked in at Witch's Rock Surf Camp and it was full for the first 3 days, so they set us up here. lovely little place, clean, and basic, with 2 really neat features, 1st, the bakery attached, oh man, these french treats were amazing, so nice at any time of the day to get a coffee and some fresh baked goods. 2nd the one night it was open, the restaurant in the Cocodrilo was fantastic, we had a fresh lobster dinner, for an excellent price. Probably one of the best features is that the hotel is close to the estuary, and slightly out of the centre of town, totally walkable, but far enough away that you did not get the late night loud bar crowd. Although Witch's is my favourite spot in Tamarindo, hands down, i could definitely see myself back here…..especially when they change the mattress, which was far to thin, and uncomfortable. We were on the second floor, I think either would have been great, although most of the lower floors hand sliding glass doors and chairs, which would have been a nice feature. overall, thanks to Sandy, and staff, and the baker, bless her heart, I could get really fat here.

Room Tip: I might suggest a lower room or a room with a balcony, and in any case, a room that faces the ocean
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JJ A
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I'm almost hesitant to write a review about this hidden gem in Tamarindo for fear of it becoming too crowded and popular. Very selfish of me, I know! But this little hotel gets it right. The location on the beach, the French bakery, the hospitality...perfect. Imagine strolling outside of your room and sitting down to a delicious breakfast in a garden that leads to the beach. This hotel competes with others on price and offers simple, clean rooms accordingly. If you are expecting a luxury hotel, you might be underwhelmed. But if you appreciate a comfortable room without a million unnecessary perks, then it gets the job done. If Rick Steves covered Central America he would love this place.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My son and I checked in as part of the Witch's Rock surf school and were happy enough with the clean and basic accommodation. The owners and very kind and helpful and will respond very quickly to any concerns. We would have appreciated heavier curtains on the sliding glass doors to keep out sun and to block out the light at night. Location is terrific for surfing and Tamarindo. The beach is a short path away as is the estuary where we took a terrific tour on the recommendation of the hotel's front desk lady. No, it's not luxury; it is reasonable, friendly and convenient to the town and ocean. We would stay again but probably not on the ground floor so as to have a little more privacy. No pool or fitness stuff but we certainly didn't miss it; we had the ocean!

Room Tip: try for a room upstairs
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank veni vidi vici F
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night and would not recommend it for several reasons but before I get into that, I'd like to say that the price was low and the staff were very friendly. They also let us off the hook on the second night of our reservation and let us check out after the first night without a penalty.

Now, on to what didn't work ... The hotel claims to be on the beach but while this is technically correct in that there are no other buildings between the hotel and the beach, you have to walk through a bunch of woods and bushes to get to the beach. The Internet worked about 10% of the time while we were there. Lighting in the room was terrible. We had so many bugs in our room, it wasn't funny. The mattress was uncomfortable and the sheets were dirty. There were no chairs in the room. The water didn't get hot.

Altogether, It was a bad experience. If you are desperate and need to stay somewhere cheap, I'd suggest you check out the hostel in Tamarindo because I doubt this place is any fancier than the hostel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Agandcg
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed here in Tamarindo for 4 nights. The food is unbelievable, between the french bakery in the morning (can you beat fresh croissants and latte?) and fantastic, fresh fare for lunch and dinner from "El Chef-O" (a Salvadoran born chef trained in Denver now testing his skills on the Tamarindo crowd). Best fish tacos I've ever eat. Rooms are simple, beds and showers everything you need with nothing more. Beach access is further down separate from the crazy, overcrowded main street but close enough to still have access to everything going on. If you want unique, delicious, lively, familial, separate and perfect location... this is it.

Room Tip: All rooms relatively similar.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo