“Great Value!”

and 1 more site!
The Chocolate Hotel and 5 Star Hostel
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I went there a couple of times. The first time with friends, and the second time with my dad, and in both occasions enjoyed a lot my stay. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Loved the hammocks, the small lovely pool and the area to hang out. Even though the place is kind of small, it is cozy and of great value. The rooms have A/C, TV, hot water and kitchenette. Very clean and I would pretty much like a boutique hotel. Even though the front road is rough, it is from a walking distance from the beach. I would highly recommend this place for any type of traveling. Really affordable.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank vmeyi
There are newer reviews for The Chocolate Hotel and 5 Star Hostel

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I have been to Costa Rica the past three years in a row and everytime i am in Tamarindo i stay here! It is a clean and quiet place with big rooms, a pool, frequent monkey visits, and excellent staff. Christian goes the distance to make sure you have a great time at a safe and totally inexpensive place. I love the chocolate hotel!!! xo

Room Tip: I love the lower level units right at the pool
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laura T
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is the second time I have been to this hotel and would highly recommend it to any traveler. The staff is professional and reliable and the conditions of the rooms are kept in high standard. All the events we experienced while there were professionally arranged and specified to our needs and concerns. Thank you to the staff who have encouraged yet a third trip to tamarindo.

Room Tip: Ask for randal... He is all knowledgeable.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Nick H
Reviewed 4 March 2012

had a sick time doing all sorts of fun and adventurous things. i would recommend this place for anyone who plans on living it up in Costa Rica. the beach is so close, and you are a short trip away from any and all adventure. i plan on coming back as soon as possible. the chocolate hotel felt like i was in a tropical resort with a palm tree over extending to my balcony. the staff was extremely friendly and nice and was a real pleasure staying there.

pura vida

best trip ever,
big t

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Thomas L
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed here in September 2011, and was not impressed. The place looks decent when you first walk in, but upon closer examination you realize it is a really dirty place.

Negative:
- Service was not great. No one was at the reception office in the evenings or later at night. On several occasions we’d come back after dinner and had questions or needed something but often there would be no one at the reception to ask. I think the owner Christian was high on weed every time I spoke with him. The only other staff member, Jessica, was not particularly friendly or welcoming.
- Toilets looked like they had never been scrubbed
- There were strange bugs (small worms in flat shells) ALL over our room. Shows they never clean or dust the rooms. It was really disturbing and I couldn’t sleep after I realized they were all over our room. They are very hard to notice, they look like specks of dust or dirt on the walls. The only reason we discovered what they were is because we saw one moving in the bathroom. Anyway, this was by far the most disturbing part of the experience. After that we went around the room trying to get them out and discovered they were everywhere. On the walls by our heads. Under the beds. In the cabinets. Bathrooms. Everywhere!! I kept imagining they would fall on me at night.
- Mosquitos were the worst out of any place we stayed in Costa Rica. The high vaulted dark wooden ceilings on the second floor make it an ideal place for them to hide out and then come attack you at night or after you get out of the shower and have no mosquito repellent (i'll give them this one, maybe there isnt much they could do about this).
-The kitchen equipment was lacking, and filthy looking in most cases.
- The pool looked like it hadn’t been washed in months.
-This is also probably the furthest possible hotel in Tamarindo. Too far from the beach.

Positive:
- Their hammocks were nice
- The place looks nice at first glance
-Tamarindo is a great place

Overall: Would not stay here again or recommend my friends/family to do so either

Room Tip: DO not choose one of the rooms on the second floor. Ton of mosquitos in these rooms. They are also o...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank World_Travelling88
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I just got back from traveling with 3 friends to Tamarindo, Costa Rica for 8 days, and I'm really glad we stayed at The Chocolate Hotel/Hostel. We got a big private room with 4 beds, a kitchen, and a bathroom/shower. Free WIFI, cable TV, and air conditioning too. Nothing fancy, but comfortable and private, and it was less then $20/night for each of us! The location is a short walk from main street and quiet at night. We loved grilling up some dinner next to the pool and playing cards with locals and other guests. Christian (the manager) gave us amazing advice for saving money and making the most of our trip. It would have been a very different trip if we had stayed somewhere else in town, and I'm grateful to Christian and The Chocolate for a great experience.

Room Tip: Maybe scope our your neighbors first. The rooms are big and private, but The Chocolate has that comm...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank mike b
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week last month and were extremely pleased! Christian was an amazing host and treated us like he had known us forever. The rooms are super clean and the pool area is beautiful. We checked out many places and went with Hotel Chocolate because of the great price, but we never expected such a safe, clean and friendly environement for that price! Thanks Christian!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WI163
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Coral Reef Surf Hostel
#15 of 28 in Montezuma
Pura Vida Hostel
Pura Vida Hostel
#14 of 73 in Tamarindo

Been to The Chocolate Hotel and 5 Star Hostel? Share your experiences!