“Dirty, Noisy and in disrepair!”

The Chocolate Hotel and 5 Star Hostel
Vancouver, Canada
“Dirty, Noisy and in disrepair!”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

This place is brutal - from the load noise from washing machine, to music beig played at 530 am, the a/c doesnt stay on, the hot shower doesn't work, the beds are so thin you can feel the boards underneath, to the mosquitos in the rooms as they aren't sealed, no towels, far from the beach- I could go on.... I would never recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank JaFARii

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 28 November 2012

The beds aren't that good, and the kitchen has just what you need and not more... But who cares? Carlos is an awesome guy who will help you with practically everything. The location is like every other ho(s)tel in tamarindo (2 minutes walking from everything?) and if you are really that kind of person; yes, the rooms are clean. I am a poor backpacker and I slept like there like a king.

• Stayed November 2012
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I must say that when our local DealChicken offered this hotel as a great deal, I went to the website to check it out. Wow, the pictures looked fantastic, price couldn't be beat and the fact that there were monkeys outside the room was a selling point . However, once there I realized that the pictures posted on the website were from when the place was built (everything new an fresh) and the amenities it said came with the room, were non existent. When I arrived, the pool was not full (okay perhaps due to the earthquake I thought) and no one around to check in. Someone living there called and I spoke over the phone to someone who told us which room was ours and he would be back, he had an emergency. Understood so we looked around and thought okay, not what the website showed but we'll deal with it. We unloaded the car, hoping we parked in the right spot, and headed into town to look around. When we got back we were told that the pool was broken but in process of being fixed and that the water had been shut off all day but was not back on. We got a couple extra pillows and towels, asked about the coffee that according to the website said came with the room only to be told that well it doesn't come with but he could get a coffee maker if we wanted. We then decided to call it a night. A bit sleepless at that due to the millions of mosquitoes in the room. Finally got up to put on some repellant and try to go back to sleep. Was very disappointed to find no water the following morning (due to water company construction) to wash off the bug spray and to freshen up for our day of sightseeing...very frustrating. We went out to the beach and when we came back was told that the water company said by two o'clock water should be back on....out we went again and luckily by the time we came back around five o'clock the water was on so we could take showers before going to dinner. We were given a couple mosquito coils to light to keep the mosquitoes away while we sat outside waiting for each other to clean up. The pool was fixed and finally running by the time we came back from dinner, although it looks similar to the one on the website photos, there were no chairs around to sit in, except for one broken lounge chair so not real inviting to lay around and go swimming as an alternative to going to the beach. All in all you do get what you pay for but even then the deal we got through the US Deal Chicken was more expensive than if we were to walk up and request a room according to the sign out front. The only positive is that we hope the money stays local, not like a big chain hotel, however I am learning that a lot of places are owned by people from other countries. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms are advertised with orthopedic mattresses which one bed did have, but the other one was a foam...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank brownize
Country
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My first review of the Chocolate "Hotel" and -5 Star Hostel was flagged and deleted (presumably by an employee or some other defender of the faith), so I will tone my rhetoric down a little. Here goes.....

The positives:
- howler monkeys up close!
- room was large with vaulted ceiling.
- decent decor (would be really nice with some TLC). It looks like this place was once pretty nice, but has not been maintained or staffed properly - the years have not been kind.............

The negatives:
- musty 1980's vintage towels with ghost-eye holes.
- perpetually stoney-baloney staff (smoking reefers right in front of guests - c'mon dude, wait until you are done your shift then smoke 'em till you drop - nothing wrong with it when you are off of work).
- front desk closed from 10 pm to about 10:30 am or whenever said stoner decides to wake up - foam mattresses that need to be steam cleaned...make sure you check for bedbugs!
- the plumbing system is shot.....there were signs telling guests not to flush their used toilet paper down the toilet with their chocolate.
- the kitchen utensils and coffee maker were not in the room as advertised on the website. I had to twist the stoned staff member's arm to get a coffee maker, then I had to scrub it because it was full of mold and dirt.
- the balcony was about to fall off of the building - scary (see photo)
- the bathroom was not clean....a little clan of crinkly, black pubic hairs were smiling at me from the toilet rim when I went to use the bathroom immediately after checking in.....the showerhead had stalactites (see photo)
- two of the electrical outlets had already caught fire at least one time each....replacements needed (see photos)

These are the facts. Only you can decide your level of risk/adventure.

btw, the "hotel" sign rotted and fell down off of the entrance door! hahaha tres apropos!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank GhostCounrty
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This is the first time I NEED to make a negative comment, but after what we saw we HAVE to warn you. Please DO NOT go to that place.
A coworker of ours went to Chocolate Hotel 2 years ago and absolutely loved it, so we came with high expectations and a positive attitude. Their website was also awesome, so we thought, why not!

When we got there, it was deserted and stinky. There were bowls of food in random places. The room was disgusting. There were bugs crawling in the sheets and the sofa outside was rotten and dirty. The bathroom was really stinky. We did not even sleep there; we listened to our gut and got the hell out of there 3 hours after we arrived. Horrible.

This place should be shut down, their website is completely misleading.

Room Tip: Do not go there
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank gcm_12
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I went there a couple of times. The first time with friends, and the second time with my dad, and in both occasions enjoyed a lot my stay. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Loved the hammocks, the small lovely pool and the area to hang out. Even though the place is kind of small, it is cozy and of great value. The rooms have A/C, TV, hot water and kitchenette. Very clean and I would pretty much like a boutique hotel. Even though the front road is rough, it is from a walking distance from the beach. I would highly recommend this place for any type of traveling. Really affordable.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank vmeyi
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I have been to Costa Rica the past three years in a row and everytime i am in Tamarindo i stay here! It is a clean and quiet place with big rooms, a pool, frequent monkey visits, and excellent staff. Christian goes the distance to make sure you have a great time at a safe and totally inexpensive place. I love the chocolate hotel!!! xo

Room Tip: I love the lower level units right at the pool
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends