“Awesome!!!!”

The Chocolate Hotel and 5 Star Hostel
Arlington, Texas, United States
“Awesome!!!!”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Great hostel all around! Friendly people and staff, good location, comfortable rooms, fun environment. Definitely will go back! I recommend it for anyone traveling through Costa Rica. You must remember that it is a Hostel for young travelers. I think everyone giving it a bad review was looking for luxury and comfort. If you want that go get a hotel room for a $100 a night.

2 Thank Andrew M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Best ever!!!!!!! We were there just 2 weeks ago at the end of our CR trip, best decision we ever took! We walk around Tamarindo and checked the options available, and we got there as our last option due bad reviews but wanted to check it any way, I’m very glad we did! The place was amazing and there are several facts that makes it great, every room have their own bathroom, kitchen, Fridge and A/C. Me and my friends were very happy not to share the bathroom and fridge with other 50 people as we had some bad experiences in another hostel in Arenal Volcano (someone was taking our cereal). Also the dorms where fully equipped.
Tito ( New Manager) explained that the group of owners just spent serious money in the place to make it looks as it looks now, apparently last manager was not taking care of the place properly. By the way tito is the most helpful person in the world, if you want cheap and practical recommendations to travel ask him for some.
I think they should have breakfast option to make it perfect, but you can’t get always all you want. In the other hand as I was staying for 6 days we got the free laundry deal.
We also found great that if you have a group of 4 people can go and get the private room for the same price you were supposed to pay in a dorm, this is just awesome, at the beginning we thought that will have to squeeze in a small space room because we were paying the same amount as a dorm but result that the private room was big and comfortable, plenty of space for all 4 of us and we had one full size bed and 2 twin size beds, plus a terrace with a hammock, birds in the morning and was the perfect social area for me and my friends.
Fairly close from the beach, nice pool, fully equipped rooms, excellent service, I highly recommend this place to everyone who is looking to have a nice stay in tamarindo. If you are staying for more than 6 days don’t forget to ask for your free night and the free laundry.
Regarding Tamarindo we found it to be very nice but there are some better beaches nearby (Conchal is a must) also you have to check this Cuban sandwich place named Addy’s and the pizza place named Baulas, Tito recommended those and were very good for the price they charge. Tamarindo is crazy prices for eating out so check the menus before going into a place.
Cheers!

Room Tip: Room No7 is the best!
1 Thank Chuck911
long beach
Reviewed 16 January 2013

One of the worst hotel experiences we've ever had. There were other guests in the hotel that were up nights in a row until after sunrise screaming, blasting their music, throwing things (rocks and their MATTRESS) at the neighbors house! The neighbors being up all night yelling at the people on the balcony to quiet down. Obviously the manager knew this was a problem as it seems everyone but the noise makers was complaining. I can't understand why they weren't kicked out. We finally checked out so we could get a decent nights sleep. (Poor neighbors probably wished they could have checked out!) Very poorly managed and I would never recommend this place to anyone unless you are looking for a party hotel and not getting any sleep.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2012

This place is brutal - from the load noise from washing machine, to music beig played at 530 am, the a/c doesnt stay on, the hot shower doesn't work, the beds are so thin you can feel the boards underneath, to the mosquitos in the rooms as they aren't sealed, no towels, far from the beach- I could go on.... I would never recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank JaFARii
Reviewed 28 November 2012

The beds aren't that good, and the kitchen has just what you need and not more... But who cares? Carlos is an awesome guy who will help you with practically everything. The location is like every other ho(s)tel in tamarindo (2 minutes walking from everything?) and if you are really that kind of person; yes, the rooms are clean. I am a poor backpacker and I slept like there like a king.

• Stayed November 2012
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I must say that when our local DealChicken offered this hotel as a great deal, I went to the website to check it out. Wow, the pictures looked fantastic, price couldn't be beat and the fact that there were monkeys outside the room was a selling point . However, once there I realized that the pictures posted on the website were from when the place was built (everything new an fresh) and the amenities it said came with the room, were non existent. When I arrived, the pool was not full (okay perhaps due to the earthquake I thought) and no one around to check in. Someone living there called and I spoke over the phone to someone who told us which room was ours and he would be back, he had an emergency. Understood so we looked around and thought okay, not what the website showed but we'll deal with it. We unloaded the car, hoping we parked in the right spot, and headed into town to look around. When we got back we were told that the pool was broken but in process of being fixed and that the water had been shut off all day but was not back on. We got a couple extra pillows and towels, asked about the coffee that according to the website said came with the room only to be told that well it doesn't come with but he could get a coffee maker if we wanted. We then decided to call it a night. A bit sleepless at that due to the millions of mosquitoes in the room. Finally got up to put on some repellant and try to go back to sleep. Was very disappointed to find no water the following morning (due to water company construction) to wash off the bug spray and to freshen up for our day of sightseeing...very frustrating. We went out to the beach and when we came back was told that the water company said by two o'clock water should be back on....out we went again and luckily by the time we came back around five o'clock the water was on so we could take showers before going to dinner. We were given a couple mosquito coils to light to keep the mosquitoes away while we sat outside waiting for each other to clean up. The pool was fixed and finally running by the time we came back from dinner, although it looks similar to the one on the website photos, there were no chairs around to sit in, except for one broken lounge chair so not real inviting to lay around and go swimming as an alternative to going to the beach. All in all you do get what you pay for but even then the deal we got through the US Deal Chicken was more expensive than if we were to walk up and request a room according to the sign out front. The only positive is that we hope the money stays local, not like a big chain hotel, however I am learning that a lot of places are owned by people from other countries. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms are advertised with orthopedic mattresses which one bed did have, but the other one was a foam...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank brownize
Country
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My first review of the Chocolate "Hotel" and -5 Star Hostel was flagged and deleted (presumably by an employee or some other defender of the faith), so I will tone my rhetoric down a little. Here goes.....

The positives:
- howler monkeys up close!
- room was large with vaulted ceiling.
- decent decor (would be really nice with some TLC). It looks like this place was once pretty nice, but has not been maintained or staffed properly - the years have not been kind.............

The negatives:
- musty 1980's vintage towels with ghost-eye holes.
- perpetually stoney-baloney staff (smoking reefers right in front of guests - c'mon dude, wait until you are done your shift then smoke 'em till you drop - nothing wrong with it when you are off of work).
- front desk closed from 10 pm to about 10:30 am or whenever said stoner decides to wake up - foam mattresses that need to be steam cleaned...make sure you check for bedbugs!
- the plumbing system is shot.....there were signs telling guests not to flush their used toilet paper down the toilet with their chocolate.
- the kitchen utensils and coffee maker were not in the room as advertised on the website. I had to twist the stoned staff member's arm to get a coffee maker, then I had to scrub it because it was full of mold and dirt.
- the balcony was about to fall off of the building - scary (see photo)
- the bathroom was not clean....a little clan of crinkly, black pubic hairs were smiling at me from the toilet rim when I went to use the bathroom immediately after checking in.....the showerhead had stalactites (see photo)
- two of the electrical outlets had already caught fire at least one time each....replacements needed (see photos)

These are the facts. Only you can decide your level of risk/adventure.

btw, the "hotel" sign rotted and fell down off of the entrance door! hahaha tres apropos!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo