“Great Vibe!”

The Chocolate Hotel and 5 Star Hostel
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“Great Vibe!”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I arrived late sunday night from an extremely long day of travel. All I wanted was a cheap accommodations that could provided me with a with a quiet comfortable bed and cold beer. The first hostel that was recommended to me seemed to have all but shutdown all there services for slow season. The Chocolate has provided me with all that I have asked and more for a good rate. There reception personal give the place a great vibe and really make u feel welcome!! Highly recommend the stay here and plan on coming back on my next surf adventure in Tamarindo!! Thanks Guys!! Cheers!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The room was large, tastefully laid out and it had a kitchen which was great: unfortunately most of the pots / dishes were missing and there was no propane / matches (rending the hotplate useless.)
The beds were clean BUT I did cut my toe on a piece of glass that housekeeping had missed.
The staff was supper friendly but sometimes distracted.
This Hostel is a good value for what you get in Tamarindo. I would expect this to be a party hostel during the high season.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The room was very spacious and clean! Every room had a hammock on the outside porch and the outside area was beautiful. It was a bit of a walk from the beach, but it has a pool. The staff was very friendly and played great reggae music! Very chill place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I had the most amazing time here! Clean, cheap, absolutely gorgeous, not to mention the awesome staff! I was there for almost 2 weeks and this place was so nice that some days and nights i just stayed in and relaxed on the hammock and swam in the pool. Everyone there is just so friendly and wants to have a good time. I've made so many friends there!

Ive never been to a place with better service. Tito has really out done himself. He was super helpful with everything and made sure our needs were met, such a nice guy.

I would recommend this place to everyone... I can't wait to come here again! I got one word for this place..... PARADISE!

Chocolate is the best!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Bronx, New York, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Chocolate Hotel is off the main path in Tamarindo, but that means you're not overpaying but still getting great amenities. The hotel is simple but clean, the rooms are huge, definitely more space than what I needed as a solo traveler. There was A/C, a TV, and private bathrooms as well as a kitchen and outdoor eating/hammock area. It's a short walk to the beach, a great way to see Tamarindo! The staff was helpful and even let me know when there were monkeys in the area for me to see!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great - mine was near the front entrance, so I heard people coming in and out...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We had an incredible time at the Chocolate Hotel. Our private room was more than we anticipated - at $42/night, we have a private bath AND our own kitchenette along with a TV, AC and a ton of space. Also, we stayed in the room below the AC dorm and couldn't even hear footsteps below - it was so quiet and peaceful here. We spent a ton of time out on own private porch, equipped with a hammock and little sitting couch with table. The pool area is a great place to relax and get out of the sun for a bit. They also have free wifi and coffee in the morning.

We ended up staying an extra night because it was so peaceful and nice. The staff was very friendly and helped us arrange all our transportation, along with some good travel tips. Tito was especially informative in helping us plan our itinerary.

As far as location goes, its about a 5-minute walk to the Super Compro and a 10-minute walk to the beach. This hotel definitely made our Tamarindo experience. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cmstoffel
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Had an amazing stay at hostel Chocolate!
The staff was very nice and helpful!
Carlos at the front desk helped me plan my itinerary and book shuttles!
He's a very nice guy!
I totally recommend this amazing place!
Awesome place, nice pool, great crowd!
A++