“Check it out”
Review of La Palapa

La Palapa
Reviewed 27 May 2009

I stayed there for 3 nights in April and found that this place has a lot of potential. Just briefly on who I am, I am a traveling doctor who likes to backpack around but also occasionally stay in nicer places other than hostels. I was looking for a place that my girlfriend and I could stay in that would be somewhat nice. La Palapa is a beautiful hotel, with only 6 rooms, but the rooms are very nice and you are right on the beach. The price was right. I spoke to the owner in person and she charged me $65 a night (non-weekend) and this included breakfast. Now for Tamarindo, this is a good deal for places located ON THE BEACH.
The downsides were a couple. They had major malfunctions with their air conditioning units, and trust me, you want A/C there, at least at that time of year. I switched rooms 3 times trying to find a room with good A/C. No one seemed to know what the problem was (in typical Central American fashion) but all I knew was that it was hot in my room. The staff was very nice and tried to make it work by moving me to a room with better A/C, this worked once, but then I had to leave that room b/c it was booked for the weekend. Then they gave me fans and to give them credit, they did try to make it work. But kind of a pain in the butt. They also deducted $10 bucks from my stay those nights without real A/C. Also, there is one room right next to the bar/kitchen area that can be a little noisy. But not bad. The kitchen closes at 10 or so and after that it was quiet. Before that you can hear blenders and such going on. But that was just that one room. Trust me I stayed in almost all their rooms!
So, would I stay there again? Yes, I would go back and at least check it out. For the price, the lovely rooms, and being right on the beach, it is worth a look.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vtjbrent
There are newer reviews for La Palapa

Reviewed 14 June 2008

First of all , they changed the price of the room alot, so make sure you know how much it actually is. It went from $85, which was not what their website said, to $65. The staff we very unfriendly and treated us like we were an inconvenience. Room was okay. Access to the beach was steps away. There are way better places to stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jazzbeans
Reviewed 7 April 2008

Their website promised a cute facility centrally located; the price was very reasonable. Don't stay here if you want to go to bed at 9pm.
We stayed in the room right next to the bar and every sound from the bar came right into the room. Also, there was a speaker
right outside our room playing music. All this ceased by midnight; after that and during the day, its just the beach and the ocean outside.
There are 3 rooms further back (below the owners apartment); it seems they would get a lot less noise, so they would be my recommendation.
Other than all this, the room was funky, but clean; so was the bath. The sliding entry door did not seem very secure; the room did have a small lockbox.
As mentioned, the location is right in the middle of town, which now is very dusty as they are forever working on the road. There seem to be promises to get this paved in the next month or so...

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2007

We loved the way this place looked on the internet. We drove in town, went to the front desk, and got a room. Our loft was only $50! It had a cool little loft, small couches under loft, TV, small but perfect bathroom and (drumroll please)...A/C!! We thought we had the deal of the century for this cool loft literally on the beach. Breakfast was provided on our patio in the morning with, seriously, the freshest orange juice I have ever tasted. STAY HERE. Cheap, fun, safe, on the beach, right in the middle of Tamarindo!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank johnroymusic
Reviewed 6 July 2007

Nice, well laid out rooms. There are porches where you can sit and watch the sunset, or you can sit on the chairs at the edge of the beach. The staff was really friendly, and the location of the hotel is close to everything in Tamarindo. I definitely recommend La Palapa. If you decide to stay here, double check your reservation a week or two before you arrive. They had our dates mixed up. Fortunately I had an email printout of the confirmation they sent me to prove that it was their mistake, not mine.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank PatAndMax
Reviewed 27 September 2006

Great place, great location. I stayed on the ground floor and had direct, immediate access to the beatiful and uncrowded beach right in town. On-site parking, continental breakfast delivered to my deck, dvd rentals at the desk - all contributed to a comfortable stay at a very reasonable price ($60 incl. breakfast and tax). Helene, the tour coordinator, was extremely helpful in arranging tours and lodging at Arenal and Monteverde - my next destination after Tamarindo. She even (without my asking)arranged dvd rental at the local video store after realizing I'd seen all of the english language dvd's at the hotel. She was amazing!
Only drawback was an overaggressive security guard who scared the hell out of me 3 times while coming onto the property after dark - even after he knew I was a guest of the hotel.
This inconvenience, admittedly, made me feel more comfortable about the safety of my belongings while I was out of the room.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
4  Thank nuckah
Reviewed 17 August 2006

This is a great place to stay. It is right on the beach with a great restaurant. The restaurant is run by the same people who run the restaurant at Laguna Cocdrillo. Lodging is perfect - not extravagant but very comfortable. It is located at one of the most central places in Tamarindo with awesome beach access.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple