“Seeing Witch's Rock from a different perspective”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Sometimes a simple vacation can start out humble and turn out changing your life.

My wife had been eyeing Witch's Rock for many years, trying to find the perfect time for her and our daughter to venture down and learn to surf. Well, over the intervening years, we sold a family business, moved 2000kms away, both kids graduated from university and one got married but my wife still yearned for Witch's Rock. Finally, the stars aligned and we were able to go. She reluctantly substituted her daughter for her husband (me!) but that was a small price to pay ;-)

When we arrived, we were immediately struck by the fact that we were in real Costa Rica, not some rich hotel developer's view of what Costa Rica should be. Real people, real warmth. Little did we know that we would test just how real these folks were over the coming days. You see after all this planning, my wife suffered a medical emergency and we were about to see Costa Rica from a whole new perspective as we fought to keep her alive. I'm tearing up as I write this and it's been a month since the ordeal but I still cannot believe how much everyone at Witch's Rock cared about our well-being and provided us with whatever we needed to make it through. I don't speak Spanish and so I had to make decisions by looking deep into everyone's eyes to determine if I saw kindness or greed and I am happy to report that we only experienced warmth and caring from the Costa Rican people even when I got completely lost in crazy downtown San Jose looking for a drug store. After a frightening emergency air-lift to Clinica Biblica and subsequent emergency operation, we were back at Witch's Rock a few days later for some true R&R. Again, everyone from the wait staff to the front desk staff to the the surf board locker staff all the way to the CEO showed nothing but compassion and concern for her well-being. Thank you Shawna for orchestrating such a great response from such a great group of people.

Oh and by the way, the surfing was great too! Thanks Axel and J. Luis for teaching us to surf. Thank you Maxi for preparing our favourite surf boards just the way we liked them, with a smile, even at 6am!

Now if you folks could only warm up the cold waters off Cape Breton Island to 82F then it would confirm my suspicion that you are all super-human. We WILL be back... many times.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael H
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thanks for writing this amazing review! Along the 12 years that we have been open, your wife's medical emergency was a first for us as well, and I can only imagine how scary it would have been for you guys to have to trust a medical system that you are completely unfamiliar with, speaking a completely different language. We were so relieved to hear that everything had gone as well as it could have, in San Jose, and you guys were coming back for relaxation and recovery afterwards.

We hope we can get your wife back down here one day (and you), so that she can fulfill her dream of surfing at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, but this time in much better health!

Pura Vida - you guys were a pleasure to have down here!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Having travelled extensively all over the world I can say that WRSC is one of the top locations for enjoying your free time, meeting new and interesting people, learning about and experiencing surfing and other saltwater activities and just having a damn great time. Beyond the incredible natural beauty (flora, fauna, geography and female!) the overall atmosphere matches or exceeds the expectations set by the visuals.

I planned and booked an eight day surf camp at the last minute and the staff made this easy beyond belief. Especially considering I was coming from The Middle of Nowhere, Afghanistan. They were prompt with emails and even called me on my AFG cell phone. Everything went smooth as a cold glass of Imperial beer. Five days into my trip I decided to stay the entire 15 days I had for combat rest and relaxation. Again, at the last minute, the staff set up my adjusted plan. I did stay in the partner hotel, Laguna Del Cocodrilo for my entire stay. This hotel is a 5 minute walk north of WRSC. The staff at LDC were just as friendly and helpful. They also have a true French bakery, the owner is a French lady and they make the best key lime pie and other treats as well as baguettes and other French and local baked goods. Grab a coffee, a slice of tart lime pie and watch the sunrise hit the Pacific. And then head down to WRSC for the surfer fuel breakfast. Obviously the tides will determine some of the scheduling but with a river break and steady swells, you can pretty much go out anytime. The main swells, without significant wind, tended to be a dense, gentle break that is perfect for beginners with other areas that break a bit faster for those looking for a bit more speed. The surf instructors were really knowledgeable and all had major experience, including professional competition, that they are happy to share when teaching or tweaking your style. Drinks were great, food was great, people are awesome. Pura Vida Compadres! Cheers!

2  Thank Drew S

Super stoked to hear that you had an amazing vacation, which was a much deserved trip for you! We have also passed on your review to our lovely people at the Cocodrilo, who played a big part in making your vacation relaxed.

Hope you can come back again sometime in the future & pura vida Drew!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I just got back from a trip to WRSC and we cannot stop raving about how great it was! We are both seasoned travelers and we both agree that this was the best trip we've ever taken. Here's my list of the top 10 things (in no particular order) that impressed me at WRSC:

1. Clean, comfortable acomodations
2. Free, good coffee available at 5:30am for us early risers
3. Perfect location, perfect waves every day
4. Expert surf instructors (Andres was SO helpful!)
5. Friendly staff
6. Pura Vida attitude permeates everyone there
7. Wonderful tours arranged for you
8. Family atmosphere with a great diversity of visitors
9. Within walking distance to shopping and restaurants
10. Robert August!

WRSC exceeded all of our expectations and we will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Muchas.Gracias.Amiga!!

We are very humbled to have made it to your top list of amazing vacations! It was a pleasure setting this all up for you guys, and even more stoked to hear that the entire week went amazing. Always helps having amazing guests as well, and you guys were for sure!

See you again, maybe next free room fall?

Pura Vida

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Epic! This review will in no way give you a real sense of how amazing my trip to Witch's Rock Surf Camp was, but hopefully it will entice you to go find out for yourself just how amazing it can be for you. The instructors are top-notch and truly want to see you have fun and do well (Andres was amazing!). The location and convenience can't be beat. I met some truly amazing people and rode some truly amazing waves. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Gracias amigo for the heartfelt review. You are right, it is hard to put the experience into words!

I will definitely be passing on your comments to Andres, who will be so excited to see what an impact he made on your surfing and overall experience.

Pura Vida & come visit again soon!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I was a single male in my late 40’s taking a trip to a foreign country to learn to surf. I was worried that I might be the old man of the camp, but this camp is for everybody. I had ages from 10 to 60’s learning to surf.
It was a well-run camp, with friendly staff, great location and multiple options of surfing depending of your level. Had an awesome time and trip. Totally recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

LOVE your title, absolutely perfect! You are right, perfect place for any age. You were actually right in the middle of our average ages.

Stoked to hear you had such an awesome time. Hopefully you can make it back in the near future for some more surf, sand and sunshine.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Recently learning to surf I picked Witchs Rock to kick up my abilities and for a perfect getaway! Not having traveled solo in many years I was nervous, but it turned out to be one of my favorite vacations, hence why I'm already booked to go back!
Diverse crowd, ages, single travelers, couples and groups.
GREAT friendly staff always available to accommodate. The instructors are knowledgable and can surely rip if you get the chance to see them!
The rooms are basic but clean---known and expected as its surf camp---best value at a great price!
Suggestions:
Bring GOOD (vertra, headhunter) sunscreen and a decent amount.
Rashguards so you don't burn.
Beach towel for post surf. A few simple, very light outfits for evenings, dinners, dancing out one or two nights!

Ladies---it's humid so I ended up throwing my hair up at night or wearing a hat.

A HUGE thank you overall for the experience, highly recommend this camp.
SURFS UP!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DelMarsGirl

Gracias for coming down & having an amazing time with us. Very stoked to hear that all of your nervous feelings about coming down alone, proved to be absolutely fine when actually down here. We do get sooo many single travelers, and even our non-single travelers, hang out with everyone in the camp anyways. Just feels like a big family between guests and staff alike.

Great tips for other travelers as well such as sunscreen and hair dryers for woman. You just have to focus on your bikini and surfboard and not so much on your hair :-)

See you again in the future, we will be waiting with sunshine & a surfboard for ya!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I just got back from my first stay at WRSC, and I'm already planning to return in April and October next year! This was my second time in Tamarindo, and I'll never stay anywhere else ever again. As a solo female traveler, I can assure you that both the camp and the town are very safe. The camp has a great laid back vibe while still meeting the needs of their guests. The beach is just a few steps away and is an amazing sight any time of the day. The staff is super friendly. In fact, I spent my birthday here and they made it an incredibly special day for me. The lessons were so much fun and my instructor Pako is the absolute greatest ever! He helped me get up on my board, stay up and ride some sweet waves - in just a few days! Nothing but great things to say about WRSC! Stay here, you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Don't worry too much about your room, you won't be in there much!