“Pura Vida at its finest”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Miami Beach, Florida
“Pura Vida at its finest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I'm new to the surfing world and Witch's rock was a great choice for me an my buddy.

Their staff is awesome, the instructors are super patient and very helpful. The overall vibe of the place is just great. The prices are very reasonable compared with other places in tamarindo.

When you walk into the front desk as for PRU-PRU, that guy is amazing. He brought so much energy to our group that it was almost hard to say goodbye after a fantastic week.

Highly recommended, also, try to do the one day field trip to the La vieja Volcano.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
G-town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I just spend 12 days @ Witches Rock. It was great! Everyone was so very friendly. Really. Everyone! From the front desk, board cage, restauraunt staff, cleaning staff and surf instructors, everyone was great. We met people from all over the world, everyone was really pleasant. And most importantly the atmosphere was very laid back. It was super easy to meet and talk to everyone there. The town has plent of options for "tours" from jungle to volcano, ATV, boat trips, fishing. There is also a great used book store in town called "Jamie Peligro" with English, French, Dutch & German language books.
The hotel rooms were clean, functional, adequate and cool (temp wise). Showers were clean, water was hot and pressure was good. We were in rooms 2 &6 and never had problems with noise. Room 2 had better internet, room 6 has spotty internet at best. The internet wasnt really an issue as the restauraunt has a good signal. Room 6 has a beautiful ocean view.
The restauraunt was good. We had read that service was slow but we did not find this at all. We found that staff was very attentive, food was good, ceviche was excellent. Sushi was good. Reasonably priced compared to other places.
Surfing was great. I could not have asked for more! I was able to get up on day 1 after a few tries. Each day got better. Our main insrtuctor was J Luis. He seemed genuinely interested in my safety and was happy to see us get up and ride the waves. He gave great instruction and advice from board size to tweaking your feet/arms or whatever. And he was patient! We also had Axel and Paco 1 time each. Also both great! It was fun to watch some of these instructors catch waves too and good to know we were learning from great surfers. We met and shared some laughs with Robert August on a few occasions- what a funny character!
The board cage guys were very attentive, always remembered which board I liked and gave some good advice about which board to try next. They were very friendly and always had a smile. They are there early and always have things in order!
The front desk staff knows ALL! They can answer/arrange/fix mostly everything. They were always pleasant, gave great Spanish lessons and were patient as well. We met quite a few people who were returning for another trip @ Witch's Rock- some having come as many as 8 times. This itself is a testament to the place.
My advice? Go!

3 Thank C H
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
What a lovely review to read! Thanks for taking the time to write out all of our feedback in almost all of the important areas here at Witch's Rock. It is so helpful to other people trying to research their next surf camp destination.

We look forward to getting you guys back on board in the future.

Hasta la proxima...

Cleveland, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Sometimes a simple vacation can start out humble and turn out changing your life.

My wife had been eyeing Witch's Rock for many years, trying to find the perfect time for her and our daughter to venture down and learn to surf. Well, over the intervening years, we sold a family business, moved 2000kms away, both kids graduated from university and one got married but my wife still yearned for Witch's Rock. Finally, the stars aligned and we were able to go. She reluctantly substituted her daughter for her husband (me!) but that was a small price to pay ;-)

When we arrived, we were immediately struck by the fact that we were in real Costa Rica, not some rich hotel developer's view of what Costa Rica should be. Real people, real warmth. Little did we know that we would test just how real these folks were over the coming days. You see after all this planning, my wife suffered a medical emergency and we were about to see Costa Rica from a whole new perspective as we fought to keep her alive. I'm tearing up as I write this and it's been a month since the ordeal but I still cannot believe how much everyone at Witch's Rock cared about our well-being and provided us with whatever we needed to make it through. I don't speak Spanish and so I had to make decisions by looking deep into everyone's eyes to determine if I saw kindness or greed and I am happy to report that we only experienced warmth and caring from the Costa Rican people even when I got completely lost in crazy downtown San Jose looking for a drug store. After a frightening emergency air-lift to Clinica Biblica and subsequent emergency operation, we were back at Witch's Rock a few days later for some true R&R. Again, everyone from the wait staff to the front desk staff to the the surf board locker staff all the way to the CEO showed nothing but compassion and concern for her well-being. Thank you Shawna for orchestrating such a great response from such a great group of people.

Oh and by the way, the surfing was great too! Thanks Axel and J. Luis for teaching us to surf. Thank you Maxi for preparing our favourite surf boards just the way we liked them, with a smile, even at 6am!

Now if you folks could only warm up the cold waters off Cape Breton Island to 82F then it would confirm my suspicion that you are all super-human. We WILL be back... many times.

1 Thank Michael H
Thanks for writing this amazing review! Along the 12 years that we have been open, your wife's medical emergency was a first for us as well, and I can only imagine how scary it would have been for you guys to have to trust a medical system that you are completely unfamiliar with, speaking a completely different language. We were so relieved to hear that everything had gone as well as it could have, in San Jose, and you guys were coming back for relaxation and recovery afterwards.

We hope we can get your wife back down here one day (and you), so that she can fulfill her dream of surfing at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, but this time in much better health!

Pura Vida - you guys were a pleasure to have down here!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Having travelled extensively all over the world I can say that WRSC is one of the top locations for enjoying your free time, meeting new and interesting people, learning about and experiencing surfing and other saltwater activities and just having a damn great time. Beyond the incredible natural beauty (flora, fauna, geography and female!) the overall atmosphere matches or exceeds the expectations set by the visuals.

I planned and booked an eight day surf camp at the last minute and the staff made this easy beyond belief. Especially considering I was coming from The Middle of Nowhere, Afghanistan. They were prompt with emails and even called me on my AFG cell phone. Everything went smooth as a cold glass of Imperial beer. Five days into my trip I decided to stay the entire 15 days I had for combat rest and relaxation. Again, at the last minute, the staff set up my adjusted plan. I did stay in the partner hotel, Laguna Del Cocodrilo for my entire stay. This hotel is a 5 minute walk north of WRSC. The staff at LDC were just as friendly and helpful. They also have a true French bakery, the owner is a French lady and they make the best key lime pie and other treats as well as baguettes and other French and local baked goods. Grab a coffee, a slice of tart lime pie and watch the sunrise hit the Pacific. And then head down to WRSC for the surfer fuel breakfast. Obviously the tides will determine some of the scheduling but with a river break and steady swells, you can pretty much go out anytime. The main swells, without significant wind, tended to be a dense, gentle break that is perfect for beginners with other areas that break a bit faster for those looking for a bit more speed. The surf instructors were really knowledgeable and all had major experience, including professional competition, that they are happy to share when teaching or tweaking your style. Drinks were great, food was great, people are awesome. Pura Vida Compadres! Cheers!

2 Thank Drew S
Super stoked to hear that you had an amazing vacation, which was a much deserved trip for you! We have also passed on your review to our lovely people at the Cocodrilo, who played a big part in making your vacation relaxed.

Hope you can come back again sometime in the future & pura vida Drew!

Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I just got back from a trip to WRSC and we cannot stop raving about how great it was! We are both seasoned travelers and we both agree that this was the best trip we've ever taken. Here's my list of the top 10 things (in no particular order) that impressed me at WRSC:

1. Clean, comfortable acomodations
2. Free, good coffee available at 5:30am for us early risers
3. Perfect location, perfect waves every day
4. Expert surf instructors (Andres was SO helpful!)
5. Friendly staff
6. Pura Vida attitude permeates everyone there
7. Wonderful tours arranged for you
8. Family atmosphere with a great diversity of visitors
9. Within walking distance to shopping and restaurants
10. Robert August!

WRSC exceeded all of our expectations and we will definitely be back!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Muchas.Gracias.Amiga!!

We are very humbled to have made it to your top list of amazing vacations! It was a pleasure setting this all up for you guys, and even more stoked to hear that the entire week went amazing. Always helps having amazing guests as well, and you guys were for sure!

See you again, maybe next free room fall?

Pura Vida

Carbondale, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Epic! This review will in no way give you a real sense of how amazing my trip to Witch's Rock Surf Camp was, but hopefully it will entice you to go find out for yourself just how amazing it can be for you. The instructors are top-notch and truly want to see you have fun and do well (Andres was amazing!). The location and convenience can't be beat. I met some truly amazing people and rode some truly amazing waves. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Gracias amigo for the heartfelt review. You are right, it is hard to put the experience into words!

I will definitely be passing on your comments to Andres, who will be so excited to see what an impact he made on your surfing and overall experience.

Pura Vida & come visit again soon!

Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I was a single male in my late 40’s taking a trip to a foreign country to learn to surf. I was worried that I might be the old man of the camp, but this camp is for everybody. I had ages from 10 to 60’s learning to surf.
It was a well-run camp, with friendly staff, great location and multiple options of surfing depending of your level. Had an awesome time and trip. Totally recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
LOVE your title, absolutely perfect! You are right, perfect place for any age. You were actually right in the middle of our average ages.

Stoked to hear you had such an awesome time. Hopefully you can make it back in the near future for some more surf, sand and sunshine.