“Slice of heaven”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Encinitas, California
“Slice of heaven”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We come to WRSC every year for the opportunity of surfing warm water and great waves. The surf guides are exceptional, especially Paco- I've never met anyone who surfs so well, yet has the patience and experience to make sure everyone is getting that same stoked feeling.
The staff at WRSC also make the time a true vacation: all travelers needs are met with taste and class, freeing up the energy to appreciate the surf, the community, and the culture.
Keep it up WRSC, this is truly Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Sunset rooms are the quietest and offer great views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hey Markus

Thanks for the kind words! We are always happy to hear such positive reviews. Yes the perfect waves and warm water are a nice slice of heaven, especially for California surfers. Thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you next time! Paco will still be here.....ripping!

Pura Vida,

WRSC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I am a single mom need some much rejavunating when I booked this trip. I was a liitle nervous flying to a different country where I did not know the native language. When I arrived I was quickly greeted and met a wonderful family traveling here for the 2nd time to the camp.

When I arrived to the camp I met the front desk help and they were wonderful to help me and my many questions I had. I quickly had a sense of safety traveling here. I actually felt more safe walking around the town then in my own city. I fell in love with this place. The locals were so kind and I feel like I made life long friends here.

The food was great and very reasonably priced. Whenever I would sit alone other travelers and families were always so quick to welcome me to sit with them. Everyone was so friendly and completely had Pura Vida through their hearts. Glasseye was a band playing on Sat. and had a wonderful surprise not to mention we became good friends after this trip.

The surf instructors were great but I felt I needed more one on one instruction. I was a little confused on a couple of days since I paid extra for the rest of the week for one on ones and others were included with my instructor on the last day and I had no instructor to help at Playa Grande. I was informed all the instructors were going which was not the case and had to ask Axel to help, he generously helped me out even though he had other students.

Overall, it was an awesome life changing experience which I enjoyed every moment of. I booked my trip for next year and plan on coming every year and soon to bring my son to start surfing here. Although my son has requested Robert August to make him a Jake and the neverland pirates surfboard we will see! Robert was wonderful and kind and would like next year to make a personal board for me. He had no air about him and treated me like a great friend and shared stories about visiting the city I live in. I loved all the extra informative classes also. I enjoyed learning the history, wave science and and board shaping classes.

I will see everyone next year, I'm already doing the 11 month countdown!! Pura Vida!

Room Tip: I had a shared room whihc was perfect for a solo traveler.
2 Thank TristansSurfNMom
Hey TristansSurfnMom

Thank you for choosing WRSC for you rejuvenating vacation. It sounded like you felt safe as a single traveler and made some friends along the way. We always appreciate honest guest feedback so we can continue improving all of our programs. We look forward to seeing you and your son next year to spread more Pura Vida vibes!

Thank you for the review!
los angeles
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Really enjoyed our recent stay at WRSC. Looked on-line and reviews, and possibly was anticipating a little more than what we received in regard to surf instruction. We were in an intermediate group, and really had minimal interaction with our guide in regard to improvement. We were also advised groups would be limited to 5 ppl per instructor/trip, but again we had more than that a few times. You can rent boards nearby if they do not have what you want, but certainly have a good selection on hand. Staff are friendly, rooms very clean and we would return again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank keep0nm0ving
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 April 2014

WRSC is a great place to learn how to surf or to go on the advanced tours and surf some of the famous breaks like Ollie's point or Witch's Rock.

I arrived at the Liberia airport and my ride was already there waiting for me. The driver and I hopped in the bus and since neither of us really spoke each others language we communicated with hand signals and butchered some sentences. It was really fun. About two hours off the plane I was already in the water right outside of WRSC riding some waves.

The entire staff is super laid back and wants you to have the time of your life. They will call you by your name the day you show up and that just makes you feel really welcome.

I've been surfing a lot in Santa Cruz CA and have never been barreled before. It took a couple waves but a half hour into the session at Marbella... It was awesome!!!

BUY THE BOARD INSURANCE!!!! $25 vs. a $700 board is a good deal. (I broke a board/ the wave did)

I chose to go on the advanced tours which usually departed from WRSC at 6am. The guides were on time and ready to go. They were always in a good mood and stoked to go surfing. The breaks we went to were based on swell and tides that day and the guides really know which spot is best for the conditions.

When you go on the boat bring lots of water, sunscreen, and some food to share (the guides will appreciate that haha). Skip the weak sunscreen and go straight to SPF 50 or higher. Make sure to pack some after-sun aloe for after the sun goes down.

Since the surfing tours usually depart before sunrise, I would recommend to stay at the WRSC partner hotel, the Crocodillo. Its only a short walk from WRSC and its much more quiet at night.

It's super easy to make friends there. Everyone I met was super friendly and outgoing. Basically you never drink alone.

I went to WRSC to have my own endless summer and step into the footsteps of my surfing heroes Robert August and Wingnut. I got to meet both of them and surf Witch's and Ollie's. Really this trip was more than I hoped for in every way and it was definitely due to the awesome staff and pura vida attitude.

I will be back soon.

Paul

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul S
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Hey Paul,

Stoked to hear you had such a good time. The advanced tours is one of our premier packages and it sounds like you had a chance to score some epic surf! (if you went to Marbella, you definitely did). We all appreciate your kind words and would love to have you back. Thanks for the review!

Pura Vida
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Surfing, I wanted to improve mine. I live near Chicago, so I don't get many chances to surf, and when I do it's my experience that conditions are a matter of luck and surfers mostly shy away from offering (or welcoming) coaching. My surfing improved at WRSC. First off, Tamarindo has a variety of breaks, from world class to beginner, and that is one reason WRSC is a terrific choice. It is right there next to some of the most consistent surf on the planet. Beyond the locale, coaching tips from expert surfers in the line up everyday, a post-session video / diagnostic, and just watching others, took my surfing to the next level. Bravo.

Another reason I rated WRSC so highly is because of its staff. They were all delightful, very friendly and gracious, easy to work with. All - drivers, instructors, front desk, maintenance, housekeeping, food servers, reservations. Bravo.

Beyond those two highlights, the rooms were tidy, the food was fine, the ground transportation was solid, the board selection was more than adequate. It was really convenient to have a package that included so much - no need to rent a car, no need to find a board a to rent, study the roads, get parking, find a good break, or hike to some place for breakfast after the morning session. So, the focus was surfing, without the distractions of managing various trip logistics.

1 Thank John H
Hey John,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our camp. We are always happy to hear positive feedback from our guests who have truly taken their surfing to the next level. And yes, convenience is one of the cornerstones of our company; we provide everything you need for a relaxed vacation where surfing is the focus. Thank you for the review :)

Pura Vida!

Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Im just back from Costa Rica, I was in a business trip and had some days off so I went by myself in the middle of the week for 4 -5 days.
Two years ago, I read about this place in some airline magazine and when I found it on Google I had to figure out if it was as good as they said. In my opinion, it’s much better. The people is very nice, gentle, so friendly that makes you feel like home. The hotel is right next to the beach, if you like to surf is perfect, if the tide is not good they take you to some other perfect beaches. If you are good surfer, there are some beaches perfect for you, if you haven’t surf in your life, with this guys is going to take you one day and then just improve your level at the beach just in front. If you are not into surfing probably you don’t want to go to a Surf camp, but there’s always a lot to do, they offer trips to Volcanos, jungle, zipline and everything you can find in that great location.
I meet people traveling alone, parents with their teenage kids on their lifetime trip, couples and the atmosphere is so good, everyone enjoying the sport, the climate, the ambient, the Pura Vida! I strongly recommend this place, is an experience that you should have at least once.
Prices are fine, Costa Rica does not reflect the Central American reality, is more expensive, but you are in a secure country, perfect weather and not far from many places. If you are looking to save every single penny you can having lunch in some other place, but not in front of the beach. If you like a perfect lunch with the best view just go to their bar and pay couple of dollars more for the view, like anywhere else in the world.
If I can give a recommendation for people traveling by their selves is to take the whole week package. Arrive on Saturday and leave next Saturday or later if you want, but its always easy to meet everyone when you arrive together with the mass.

Room Tip: I first stay in the cheapest room because it was fully booked and is just a simple room, not very ni...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Juan g!!

Great review amigo! Loved your review, and thanks for taking the time to write out everything about your trip! Super helpful for our other potential visitors & great for us to hear about your good experience.

Hope to have you back again one day! Don't forget we have awesome return discounts!

Pura Vida,

Shawna Mullen
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014

located right at the beac, this is a great place to stay. Breakfast is included and that is anything off the menu. There is a pool that you can enjoy after sunset.

The rooms are big and very clean and well done.

We in fact went back there at the end of our trip for another night.

Room Tip: the rooms by the beach have a good view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Hey D K,

Stoked to hear that we had a room for you guys available when you walked in! & even more happy that you had a great stay!

Hope the spring warms up for you in the north!

Shawna Mullen