“Surf Camp”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
New York City, New York
“Surf Camp”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Loved the experience here and already rebooked another trip. Came by myself, met amazing people on the shuttle over and we ended up with a group of 15+. Atmosphere is very family oriented, and having never surfed before, I can now pop up consistently and understand the mechanics a lot more in detail. Isaac is my absolute favorite, mostly because he gives very honest to the point feedback and I always feel safe with him in the ocean. The crew at Joes is awesome, and the food is great, esp. the nachos.

Room Tip: I stayed at the Crocodile with an ocean front room, which was great. I stayed in the street view roo...
1 Thank jiemeigeng
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hola JieMeigeng,

Thank you for trusting WRSC with your solo vacation! We take pride in our ability cater amazing guests experiences to our solo travelers. Glad to hear you enjoyed our beginner program and learned from one of our team riders/star instructors, Isaac Vega. Thank you for the kind review!

WRSC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Claremont, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Wow! As a beginner surfer, I could not have dreamed of a better place to learn. It is a perfect location, right on the beach and only 45 mins from the Libria airport. They have great instructors that not only get you up on the board, but also cover safety, paddling techniques and how to read the waves.

Each time I come (three trips so far), they keep making improvements to the facilities. Now they opened a new restaurant with live music on Friday/Saturday nights, improved the surf board cage, and upgraded the internet so we were able to do Skype from our rooms.

But the real reason we keep coming back is for people, both the great staff and the other fun surfers from all over the the world.

2 Thank Surfer_Joe_M
Hola Surfer Joe,

Thank you for the kind review, and killer title, "Surfer's Paradise." We like to think so too. With our beach-front location and variety of programs that cater to all abilities, there are very few people who leave unsatisfied. We are stoked to hear you had such a wonderful time enjoying our camp. We hope to see you again!

Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our family of 6 just enjoyed a week at WRSC. It was outstanding in many ways but especially the instruction we received as it was our first time to surf. Our kids (ages 15-21) loved it too, plenty of challenge and activities to keep us busy and exhausted with time in between to relax in the pool and watch the sun set over the Pacific! The staff at WRSC was always incredibly helpful when we needed restaurant recommendations, tour advice, even the pharmacy. Mid-May was a perfect time to go - not too rainy yet and between high seasons so no crowds. Excellent trip in every way thanks to WRSC!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hola wareaglefamily6,

Sounds like a perfect family vacation! I'm sure it must have been exciting to watch your family learn to surf together and enjoy the perfect waves in Tamarindo. Thanks for the kind words regarding our staff. Hope to see you all again sometime soon :)

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been to WRSC three times between March 2013-March 2014. I had a great time each visit. The surf instructors, reservation specialists, restaurant staff, and front desk staff are all professional and provide great service. The surf camp is good for rookies and experienced surfers alike; grom and older surfers welcome. The set up is still edgy without being a crazy party atmosphere. In other words, your kid can sit in the bar/restaurant with you while you have a drink, and you don't have to worry that your kid will see something you don't want her/him to see yet! I've met people who have returned to WRSC a dozen times. Experience surfers love that the local staff know where the waves will be, and you are driven there. You don't have to go place to place, trying to find a good surf spot in an unfamiliar location. The rooms are clean. The only complaints I've heard are about things WRSC cannot control: waves and weather. Sometimes, the waves are too big for rookies/beginners; other times, they aren't big enough for experienced surfers. The latter is rare, though, as this is Costa Rica!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Hola Silverfern1,

3 times in 1 year! You are a serious WRSC family member!

"The surf camp is good for rookies and experienced surfers alike; grom and older surfers welcome."

This is true. We try and cater to the needs of any surfer, from catching the first wave to helping you catch the ride of your life. Tamarindo is the perfect location with mellow surf directly out front and more advanced breaks just a short car/boat ride away.

Thank you for the kind words about our staff members. I will pass this review on.

Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I took my husband to Witch's Rock for his 30th birthday. We had a blast and will definitely be back next year! We were worried because we heard May was the start of rainy season but had beautiful weather. We did not stay at the surf camp because they did not have any availability but at Cocodrilo (about a five minute walk away). So I can't comment on the accommodations - just the grounds (which are lush, well kept and beautiful) The camp is run very well and the front office staff is very helpful. They can help you with details around the surf camp, the surrounding town of Tamarindo and even book you on tours. In line with other reviews, it did seem like some of the surf instructors were more attentive than others. Luckily, my husband was paired with Beto almost every day and really enjoyed working with him. Same with the board cage- some days it was hard to pull the staff away from socializing to help you grab a board and then some days the staff on duty was extremely helpful. However, I think you have to accept that it’s a laid back place so this didn't really have any effect on our experience. The restaurant on site is great as well with a full menu, friendly wait staff and reasonable prices. The camp is pretty centrally located and a short walk into town. The only complaint I had was with the ride back to the airport wherein our driver picked up/dropped off a stranger and then stopped in some neighborhood leaving us to wait in the vehicle. But, again, this detail had no bearing on my actual experience at Witch's Rock - more just makes me want to rent a car the next time we visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hola Emily,

What a great birthday present for your husband! Especially the dry weather you experienced during your stay.Sounds like you had a good experience in the water as well. I'll pass your kind words onto Beto; he will be stoked to hear your positive feedback. Hope to see you guys again sometime soon :)

Hallandale Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I did a solo trip to Witches Rock Surf Camp as my first trip out of the country. I went from Saturday to Saturday. This was the most amazing experience of my life!!! There were at least a dozen other solo travelers. We all hung out together all week, did a bunch of tours together, and of course, surfed from sun up to sun down! The instructors were amazing, the food was great, and the camp was run so smooth. This place was absolutely incredible!!! If you're thinking about a solo trip or a trip with others this is definitely the place to go!!!

Room Tip: Do a shared room if you're traveling solo. The price was great and you'll make some great fr...
1 Thank Melissa M
Hola Melissa,

WOW! Thank you so much for trusting WRSC with your first experience out of the USA. We are always satisfied to hear positive reviews, especially from the solo travelers like yourself. We hope to see you again!

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I had such a great time at WRSC. I traveled solo for the first time and you just meet so many amazing people, from the WRSC staff to other travelers. There is never a lack of things to do or people to go grab a beer or dinner.

The surfing: you will learn to surf. My instructor was Axel, who was very good, he had me up surfing by my third attempt and by the second day I felt as though I could get up on nearly every wave attempted.

This place has an exceptional staff from the people who handle the reservations to the cleaning staff, but the surf instructors are exceptional. They want you to learn to surf more than anything. I will definitely be back for sure.

1 Thank JMO3672
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hola JMO3672,

Thanks for trusting WRSC with your solo vacation! We're glad to hear you had an amazing experience and met a handful of new people.

"The surfing: you will learn to surf. " Absolutley! The waves right out front of camp are perfect for beginners and our expert instrucructer will surley get you riding! I'll pass your kind words on to Axel.

Thanks for the review! Hope to see you again soon.

(P.S. still availability for the upcoming Fall months.)