When I returned from Witch’s Rock Surf Camp, all I could think about is “How can I get myself back there?” I had a great time. I’ll echo others’ comments about the staff. The instructors are all super nice and sincerely want to see you stand up and improve your surfing. The food is great, especially the breakfast and the salads. One of my favorite parts of this trip was how healthy I felt the whole week. It’s so easy to stick to fruits and veggies and protein. I’m a night person, but somehow I was up and ready to go for early surf lessons without a problem. The beach is great for walking and picking up shells. And the location of the camp is unbeatable.
I went by myself and felt safe the whole time. True to what the guide books said, as a fair-skinned woman, I got a lot of comments from men when I walked in town, but it was all innocuous. I highly recommend sticking to the Saturday to Saturday schedule because that makes it easier to meet fellow surfers and the seminars and videos are scheduled to accommodate the Saturday arrival groups. Plus Saturdays are the only day the airport shuttle is free. I met several other single travelers and many return visitors and I can totally see why. I’ll be back.
Book the Catamaran tour. It’s in the afternoon so you don’t have to miss any surf lessons and it’s a fun time. They even have stand up paddle boards on the boat that you can play with.
The rooms are basic and the towels/pillows could definitely use a refresh, but the bed was comfy and you can expect to sleep really well after surfing and running around the beach all day.
Packing tip: Go ahead and throw in an extra bathing suit/ rash guard / board shorts into your bag. You’ll be glad to have a few dry options b/c you’ll be spending the majority of your time in your bathing suit. You can probably cut in half what you were planning to bring for casual/evening clothes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Witch's Rock Surf Camp is a small beach front hotel in Playa Tamarindo, Costa Rica. We have 18-rooms on the beach directly in front of the best surfing waves in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. We are located 45 minutes away from Liberia (LIR) Airport. We cater to surfers and anyone that wants to learn how to surf in Costa Rica. Come and join us for the surfing vacation of your life. Call Now! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Witch`s Rock Surf Camp Hotel Tamarindo
- Witchs Rock Surf Camp Tamarindo
- Witchs Rock Surf Camp Hotel