“I can't wait to go back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Reviewed 13 June 2014

When I returned from Witch’s Rock Surf Camp, all I could think about is “How can I get myself back there?” I had a great time. I’ll echo others’ comments about the staff. The instructors are all super nice and sincerely want to see you stand up and improve your surfing. The food is great, especially the breakfast and the salads. One of my favorite parts of this trip was how healthy I felt the whole week. It’s so easy to stick to fruits and veggies and protein. I’m a night person, but somehow I was up and ready to go for early surf lessons without a problem. The beach is great for walking and picking up shells. And the location of the camp is unbeatable.
I went by myself and felt safe the whole time. True to what the guide books said, as a fair-skinned woman, I got a lot of comments from men when I walked in town, but it was all innocuous. I highly recommend sticking to the Saturday to Saturday schedule because that makes it easier to meet fellow surfers and the seminars and videos are scheduled to accommodate the Saturday arrival groups. Plus Saturdays are the only day the airport shuttle is free. I met several other single travelers and many return visitors and I can totally see why. I’ll be back.
Book the Catamaran tour. It’s in the afternoon so you don’t have to miss any surf lessons and it’s a fun time. They even have stand up paddle boards on the boat that you can play with.
The rooms are basic and the towels/pillows could definitely use a refresh, but the bed was comfy and you can expect to sleep really well after surfing and running around the beach all day.
Packing tip: Go ahead and throw in an extra bathing suit/ rash guard / board shorts into your bag. You’ll be glad to have a few dry options b/c you’ll be spending the majority of your time in your bathing suit. You can probably cut in half what you were planning to bring for casual/evening clothes.

Room Tip: The view doesn't really matter b/c the location is so good that you only have to walk a few step...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank joygem
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Hola Joygem,

Thank you for trusting WRSC with your solo vacation. It sounds like you had a fantastic time surfing, meeting new people, and taking advantage of our non-surfing activities. Thank you for all the feedback and we hope to see you sometime soon!

Pura Vida!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

If you are looking for a fun vacation, this is the spot. It is not the fanciest place on the planet, but it more than makes up for it with a great staff and great location on a beginner break. The food is great and the instruction is too.

You will have a lot more fun if you do some surf-specific training before you come!

Room Tip: Ocean view is great, but you will not spend much time there anyway. You will sleep well after being...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hola Susan,

Thanks for your review. Sounds like you had a great time and got to catch some fun waves! Your comment about the surf-specific training is certainly true; surfing is a full body exercise and a little preparation never hurts. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I'm just home from a week in Tamarindo and I can't say enough good things about Witch's Rock. The staff is unfailingly kind and friendly, the instructors are excellent (Flash achieved something akin to a miracle in getting me up on the board consistently.), the location is amazing, the rooms are clean and comfy, food is good, drinks are plentiful - it was an amazing experience. Met a group of incredibly fun, nice people in the van from the airport and spent the week running around surfing, diving, jumping off catamarans, and going out with new friends and my travel buddy. So much fun! Definitely booking a return trip soon!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hola Meghan,

Thank you for your kind review! We're stoked to hear you had an awesome trip and got to ride a couple waves with Flash! Sounds like you took advantage of a few of our non-surfing activities as well. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Loved the experience here and already rebooked another trip. Came by myself, met amazing people on the shuttle over and we ended up with a group of 15+. Atmosphere is very family oriented, and having never surfed before, I can now pop up consistently and understand the mechanics a lot more in detail. Isaac is my absolute favorite, mostly because he gives very honest to the point feedback and I always feel safe with him in the ocean. The crew at Joes is awesome, and the food is great, esp. the nachos.

Room Tip: I stayed at the Crocodile with an ocean front room, which was great. I stayed in the street view roo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jiemeigeng

Hola JieMeigeng,

Thank you for trusting WRSC with your solo vacation! We take pride in our ability cater amazing guests experiences to our solo travelers. Glad to hear you enjoyed our beginner program and learned from one of our team riders/star instructors, Isaac Vega. Thank you for the kind review!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Wow! As a beginner surfer, I could not have dreamed of a better place to learn. It is a perfect location, right on the beach and only 45 mins from the Libria airport. They have great instructors that not only get you up on the board, but also cover safety, paddling techniques and how to read the waves.

Each time I come (three trips so far), they keep making improvements to the facilities. Now they opened a new restaurant with live music on Friday/Saturday nights, improved the surf board cage, and upgraded the internet so we were able to do Skype from our rooms.

But the real reason we keep coming back is for people, both the great staff and the other fun surfers from all over the the world.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Surfer_Joe_M

Hola Surfer Joe,

Thank you for the kind review, and killer title, "Surfer's Paradise." We like to think so too. With our beach-front location and variety of programs that cater to all abilities, there are very few people who leave unsatisfied. We are stoked to hear you had such a wonderful time enjoying our camp. We hope to see you again!

Pura Vida

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our family of 6 just enjoyed a week at WRSC. It was outstanding in many ways but especially the instruction we received as it was our first time to surf. Our kids (ages 15-21) loved it too, plenty of challenge and activities to keep us busy and exhausted with time in between to relax in the pool and watch the sun set over the Pacific! The staff at WRSC was always incredibly helpful when we needed restaurant recommendations, tour advice, even the pharmacy. Mid-May was a perfect time to go - not too rainy yet and between high seasons so no crowds. Excellent trip in every way thanks to WRSC!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hola wareaglefamily6,

Sounds like a perfect family vacation! I'm sure it must have been exciting to watch your family learn to surf together and enjoy the perfect waves in Tamarindo. Thanks for the kind words regarding our staff. Hope to see you all again sometime soon :)

Pura Vida

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been to WRSC three times between March 2013-March 2014. I had a great time each visit. The surf instructors, reservation specialists, restaurant staff, and front desk staff are all professional and provide great service. The surf camp is good for rookies and experienced surfers alike; grom and older surfers welcome. The set up is still edgy without being a crazy party atmosphere. In other words, your kid can sit in the bar/restaurant with you while you have a drink, and you don't have to worry that your kid will see something you don't want her/him to see yet! I've met people who have returned to WRSC a dozen times. Experience surfers love that the local staff know where the waves will be, and you are driven there. You don't have to go place to place, trying to find a good surf spot in an unfamiliar location. The rooms are clean. The only complaints I've heard are about things WRSC cannot control: waves and weather. Sometimes, the waves are too big for rookies/beginners; other times, they aren't big enough for experienced surfers. The latter is rare, though, as this is Costa Rica!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Hola Silverfern1,

3 times in 1 year! You are a serious WRSC family member!

"The surf camp is good for rookies and experienced surfers alike; grom and older surfers welcome."

This is true. We try and cater to the needs of any surfer, from catching the first wave to helping you catch the ride of your life. Tamarindo is the perfect location with mellow surf directly out front and more advanced breaks just a short car/boat ride away.

Thank you for the kind words about our staff members. I will pass this review on.