Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Tamarindo
See available hotels
    Zullymar Hotel(Tamarindo)
    Good 3.5/5
    • Pool
    • Free Internet
    All reviewsboard cageintermediate groupvideo analysisel vaquerorobert augustpura vidanachosbeach breakcosta ricacatch wavesboard selectionskill levelendless summersolo tripnew friendsshared roombanana pancakes
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've been to Witch's rock surf camp three times and every single time, I have had a blast. Everyone is great. It's like going home to family. My surfing has improved each time and I am happy to say I finally feel like I am ready to take it to the next level (off playa tamarindo and onto new bigger CR surf breaks).

I have surfed with different instructors at Witch's and all of them have been fantastic. They have remembered, supported, and applauded my progression each time. This time I had the pleasure of surfing with Erlyn, Josimar, Flash and Andres. I spent most of the week with Erlyn; he is kind, patient, thorough and really is a great teacher. You can also tell he really loves to teach.

I do feel I am safe and in good hands with the instructors here. Each of them offer their own perspective when it comes to teaching and as a result, I have learned a ton about surfing. I really love the Witch's Rock instructors.

What else can I say? Everyone I have brought to witch's with me, has fallen in love with the surf camp just as I have. Witch's Rock Surf Camp rocks.

Room Tip: Book way early so you can get a room! It's a small place and books fast.
    • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
    WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Hola Monfrate,

Glad to hear how enthusiastic you are about our camp as a 3-time returner. Each time you come, you become more and more a part of the WRSC family. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself with our programs and made some new friends along the way. Hope to see you again for trip number 4!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was my first time to Witch's Rock, and I had an incredible time. Both of my surf instructors Axel and J. Lewis made the experience wonderful. Axel really pushed me to go for the bigger waves, to get the confidence to lean forward while taking them; I used to automatically lean backwards when getting up on the bigger ones and therefore missed/shied away from catching them. J. Lewis strengthened my paddling. I was there for only two weeks, and both these teachers really changed my surfing with their detailed instructions. I'm no longer afraid of getting up on overhead waves and am so grateful to them! =) I also loved the smoothies afterwards at the restaurant!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
    1  Thank 128Jennifer
    WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Hey Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. It sounds like you had a great time surfing and improving your skills here in Tamarindo. Staying on-site for two weeks is always beneficial because you can really step up your surfing skills (which it sounds like you did!). I'll pass your kind remarks onto your instructors. Hope to see you again!

Pura Vida!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

When I returned from Witch’s Rock Surf Camp, all I could think about is “How can I get myself back there?” I had a great time. I’ll echo others’ comments about the staff. The instructors are all super nice and sincerely want to see you stand up and improve your surfing. The food is great, especially the breakfast and the salads. One of my favorite parts of this trip was how healthy I felt the whole week. It’s so easy to stick to fruits and veggies and protein. I’m a night person, but somehow I was up and ready to go for early surf lessons without a problem. The beach is great for walking and picking up shells. And the location of the camp is unbeatable.
    I went by myself and felt safe the whole time. True to what the guide books said, as a fair-skinned woman, I got a lot of comments from men when I walked in town, but it was all innocuous. I highly recommend sticking to the Saturday to Saturday schedule because that makes it easier to meet fellow surfers and the seminars and videos are scheduled to accommodate the Saturday arrival groups. Plus Saturdays are the only day the airport shuttle is free. I met several other single travelers and many return visitors and I can totally see why. I’ll be back.
    Book the Catamaran tour. It’s in the afternoon so you don’t have to miss any surf lessons and it’s a fun time. They even have stand up paddle boards on the boat that you can play with.
    The rooms are basic and the towels/pillows could definitely use a refresh, but the bed was comfy and you can expect to sleep really well after surfing and running around the beach all day.
    Packing tip: Go ahead and throw in an extra bathing suit/ rash guard / board shorts into your bag. You’ll be glad to have a few dry options b/c you’ll be spending the majority of your time in your bathing suit. You can probably cut in half what you were planning to bring for casual/evening clothes.

Room Tip: The view doesn't really matter b/c the location is so good that you only have to walk a few steps to be on the beach. The tiny room is fine b/c you don't spend much time in your room, but they're teeny tiny (smaller than manhattan hotel rooms) - not even any where to sit when you're damp from being in the water. The bigger room is nice for space to dry all your wet beach stuff but you have to decide if space to dry your stuff is worth the extra $.
    • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
    1  Thank joygem

Hola Joygem,

Thank you for trusting WRSC with your solo vacation. It sounds like you had a fantastic time surfing, meeting new people, and taking advantage of our non-surfing activities. Thank you for all the feedback and we hope to see you sometime soon!

Pura Vida!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

If you are looking for a fun vacation, this is the spot. It is not the fanciest place on the planet, but it more than makes up for it with a great staff and great location on a beginner break. The food is great and the instruction is too.

You will have a lot more fun if you do some surf-specific training before you come!

Room Tip: Ocean view is great, but you will not spend much time there anyway. You will sleep well after being in the ocean all day regardless!
    • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hola Susan,

Thanks for your review. Sounds like you had a great time and got to catch some fun waves! Your comment about the surf-specific training is certainly true; surfing is a full body exercise and a little preparation never hurts. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I'm just home from a week in Tamarindo and I can't say enough good things about Witch's Rock. The staff is unfailingly kind and friendly, the instructors are excellent (Flash achieved something akin to a miracle in getting me up on the board consistently.), the location is amazing, the rooms are clean and comfy, food is good, drinks are plentiful - it was an amazing experience. Met a group of incredibly fun, nice people in the van from the airport and spent the week running around surfing, diving, jumping off catamarans, and going out with new friends and my travel buddy. So much fun! Definitely booking a return trip soon!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hola Meghan,

Thank you for your kind review! We're stoked to hear you had an awesome trip and got to ride a couple waves with Flash! Sounds like you took advantage of a few of our non-surfing activities as well. Hope to see you again!