“Awesome!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I just recently got back from a week at WRSC and am already itching to go back. The resort itself is basic but super clean. The lessons are good, it was my first time surfing, my instructor was J. Luis, who rocked. He had me up and riding waves in no time. I met so many great people, which is what makes the surf camp experience. The demographic my week was mostly folks in their 30's and some families. You become fast friends with your fellow surfers and spend hours together hanging at the pool, going out for meals and surfing the sunsets.

Can't wait to go back ....

1  Thank deeeejjjj
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hola deeeejjjj,

Glad you had an awesome time staying with us! Itching to come back ehh? Sounds great, we would love to heave you. If you didn't know already, return guests get 10% off their entire package so come back whenever! I'll pass your kinds words onto J. Luis. He will definitely be stoked! Thank you for the review!

Pura Vida

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This place is great! We took 2 surfing lessons here and absolutely loved it. This was our first time ever to take lessons and Maria couldn't have been a better fit. She was a great teacher and extremely sweet. The bar on the beach was a fun laid back place to finish up or start our day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hola Kim,

Thanks for coming to check us out. Sounds like you had a nice time surfing the waves in front of our location with our instructor Maria! I'll pass your kind words on to her. Come back anytime!

Pura Vida

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My first time surfing ever...got up on my first time. And that was the theme for my week spent at WRSC.

My surf teachers were great, the food and even the in-house brewed beer were good, the camaraderie developed with the fellow surf campers was AMAZING. Quite possibly, this place should be sold as a social experience first and an excellent surf location second.

Elizabeth in customer service was lovely and helpful. Flash as a surf instructor was awesome for my personality type. The boards and waves were great and helpful.

Very seriously considering more trips here and so glad I met all the people I met here.

Hola Georges,

Wow! So happy that we were able to provide you with such a positive experience. Your right, our social scene is just as marketable as our surf program! Since we receive guests of all different ages and backgrounds, WRSC is a melting pot of fun people, activities, and personalities. Thank you for your kind words. I'll be sure to pass your message on to Elizabeth and Flash.

Hope to see you again!

Pura Vida,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was my third stay at WRSC. Unlike previous visits, this time I came by myself, did the “single traveler special” and was roomed with two other guys (that I had never met before) in a triple room. Although this may sound like a hostel to those who have backpacked through Europe, it had all the great things about a hostel (convivial vibe, interesting crowd, affordable) with none of the negatives that come with hosteling. The cost for a full week was around $900 including R/T airport transfers from LIR, huge daily breakfast, shared room, unlimited use of boards, daily transport by boat or van to nearby surf spots (we went to Marbella, Playa Grande, & Avenellas), taxes, and intermediate instruction.

As mentioned in hundreds of previous reviews, there are no TVs or chairs in the rooms, the furnishings are basic, rooms are clean but can be a bit loud at night, and the staff is friendly and caring. Although the beds are comfortable and A/C in the rooms is very cold, the architecture of the hotel encourages people to get out of their rooms and interact in the public spaces.

If you are looking for luxurious accommodations, need pampering, or are on your honeymoon, this is not your place. That type of traveller should stay at the Diria, Barcello, or some other lux place and arrange their surfing with WRSC. However, if you do that I think you’d be missing out on the best part, bonding with your fellow surfers and travellers during the 20+ hours a day that you are not surfing.

In my experience WRSC is a magnet for interesting people, and tends to index high on single educated US and Canadian professionals in their late 20’s to early 40’s. However I’ve met plenty of people there who were married, had kids, or were younger/older than that. WRSC has a loyal following. I met a few guys and gals during my time there whom had been guests 4-7 times, and had made long term friends with many people they had met during previous trips. During this visit I also ran into people I had met during both of my prior visits.

No, staying in Tamarindo is not much of a cultural experience; the moniker “Tamagringo” has some truth to it. It is touristy, costs more than the rest of CR, everything is in English and Spanish, all places accept US$, and you will not experience much Tico culture other than drinking Imperial beer or eating a Casado for lunch. But let’s be honest, culture is not what people go there seeking. It is cheaper than the US, the water is warm, surf is good, food is varied and tasty, the people are friendly, and it is engineered for hanging out, meeting people, and having fun. If you want culture then head elsewhere, go inland, do some homestays or volunteer.

Bottom line: I’m hooked on WRSC. I’ve had so many perfect days with them there is no reason for me to look elsewhere. If you want to learn to surf, meet great people, relax and have fun at a price that won’t break the bank, you’d be hard pressed to do better then WRSC. I can’t wait to come back next summer!

4  Thank globedecker

Hola Globedecker,

So happy that you trusted WRSC with your solo vacation. It sounds like it all worked out for you once again!

You're right, our rooms are cozy and comfortable, but we love the people to come out and socialize. With all the like minded visitors eager for surf and adventure, life-long friends are destined to be made. Thank you for you kind, genuine review of our little slice or paradise. We will see you again soon :)

Pura Vida!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

First of all, we aren't surfers but we do enjoy the laid-back lifestyle of being a beach bum! After spending the first 10 days of a 2-week Costa Rica vacation at other resorts and traveling the rain forest, we spent the last few days in Tamarindo. Although we stayed at another hotel there, we naturally gravitated to WRSC for all our meals and a friendly, home-like atmosphere. The food at "Eat At Joe's" was good, simple, tasty, and affordable...breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We also enjoyed our afternoon beers at the "El Vaquero Brewpub", where we started a tab easily and drank on the beach with sand between our toes. WRSC provided a family friendly environment where we could relax, eat, drink, laugh, watch tv, pet the local dogs, and catch up with the world since they have great internet service. Witches Rock Surf Camp is a definite place to stop and unwind from the rest of the world!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hola Shelly,

So happy we were able to provide your anchor during your Tamarindo vacation stop. You're right, WRSC pulls in a steady crowd because of the great food, friendly staff, and premier location on the beach. Thank you for gravitating towards us. If your ever back in the area, make sure you stop by, say hello, and maybe try your luck with a surf lesson :)

Gracias & Pura Vida

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I’m 65 and was bulldozed by my two best friends to go surfing in Costa Rica. Then they started talking about “two-a-days.” I would never survive. I was worried. Guess what? It was the most amazing adventure I have ever been on. And I never thought I could stand up to surfing six days in a row, let alone two sessions a day--let alone big steep fast barrels and walls. there are ALWAYS waves down there somewhere.Here is 100% of our schedule for the week: take a boat or a van or a van and then a boat to travel to near or remote surf spots; surf all morning starting at 6 AM, go back and eat breakfast, go to the room, clean up and recuperate on the bed for 2 hours, eat lunch and then go out for the second session. I did things I never even remotely imagined I could do. Our two guides, David and Chilo are the two best surfers I've ever seen. They're also wonderful people. I had my own cheering section. The trip to Witches Rock and Ollie's was the stuff of legend. Krista at the front desk went on some of the trips with us and is an absolute delight. Maxie at the cage, Nelson at Vaqueros, the waiter and waitresses at Joe’s, the folks who maintain the place—they are all spectacular human beings and they are all now good friends of ours. (The whole freakin’ country is populated by nice people.) I have memories to last a lifetime—or at least until next time. Unforgettable!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Roland W

Hola Roland,

Sounds like you had a great time and took your surfing to the next level while you were with us. You're right, Costa Rica has waves 100 percent of the time! Sometimes we may take you to a remote secret location to find them, or sometimes you can find them right outside of our camp in Tamarindo; both options have their own perks.

Thank you for you kind words about our staff; I will make sure I pass your review onto Krista, Maxi, David, and Chilo. Thanks for coming and we hope to see you again!

Pura Vida,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from a week trip to WRSC. I had never surfed before or traveled alone before and this place was great for both of those. It was easy to make friends and the waves out front were good for beginners, as was the rock free sea bottom. The staff was really great. Maxi, who worked in the board cage, was always smiling and such a sweet spirit and I couldn't have asked for a better first person to talk to in the morning on the way to pick up the surfboard! The instructors were great also (I had Erlyn most of the week and then Josimar the last day)--they were laid back and fun, but also attentive and patient and gave good tips. Now I feel comfortable and ready to go out surfing by myself and catch waves. Overall it was a great trip, i definitely want to return.

1  Thank MargroB87
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Hola Margro,

Glad you hear you had such a wonderful time at our surf camp and loved the waves in Tamarindo! You're right, the rock-less bottom and smooth waves right front make for a perfect beach to learn and improve your surf skills.

I'll make sure to tell Maxi and the surf instructors about your positive review :)

Hope to see you again soon!