“Pura Vida Surf Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Witch's Rock Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Washington, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, United States
“Pura Vida Surf Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I had a father son surf trip this summer that was a blast! Pako and the rest of the instructors & staff at WRSC were terrific and everyday was a new adventure. We stayed at another hotel that they have a partnership with (Daria Resort) and the accommodations were perfect. I hope to make this a yearly trip-

Benji-Jack

Room Tip: Rooms across the street are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Hola Benjamin,

Thanks for your review! Stoked to here you and your son had some good lessons here at Witch's Rock and enjoyed your Costa Rican adventure.

I'll be sure to pass your kind words onto Pako :)

Hope to see you two again, Pura Vida!

WRSC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Gulf Breeze, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I have been going to WRSC since 2006 and have found that they continually provide great service. I am an advanced surfer and always love the trip to Witches and Ollies. The guides always try to put on the best waves and we have never been disappointed. David and Chilo are the best. I was able to bring my son with me on our most recent trip and he now knows why I always come home stoked and looking forward to next year. If you are going to Witches and Ollies, request "Alex". When we went with him on our last trip the boat was great, rode better than a Panga, and he got us there quick. Again, Thanks to everyone and our crew will see you next year!!
McFarland and crew!!

Room Tip: Remember, this is set up for surfers. If you are expecting the Ritz, pick another sport. We like the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hola David,

Thanks for your review! Stoked to hear after all these years you are still our loyal client :) Yes, for the advanced surfers, Ollie's and Witch's is the usually the highlight of the trip. All day boat trip, perfect waves, always with your buddies.

I will be sure to pass your kind words onto David and Chilo.

Hope to see you again! Pura Vida

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I LOVE THIS PLACE! I had always wanted to learn how to surf and for several years prior to finding Witch's Rock I did a lot of searching on the Internet to find a place to learn. I did not want to just travel somewhere and sign up for lessons while on vacation, I wanted surfing to be my vacation and WRSC was it. I happened to be talking to a friend who was living in Costa Rica and he suggested 2 places and after researching a little more I found that WRSC seemed to be what I wanted. It definitely was what I was looking for because I just returned from my 4th trip there in the last four years. I don't get to travel too much and if I can visit only one place this is it!

My first three trips were solo trips and I was very nervous about this. I emailed and talked to the women (Julie, Shawna, Elizabeth) who set up the trips and they were very reassuring about visiting WRSC by myself. If you travel Saturday-Saturday they pick you up and take you back to the airport. Which is really helpful and you meet several of the people you will be surfing with on the car ride in. By breakfast the next day I had made a handful of new surfing friends and it was no longer a solo trip. I think one of the best things about WRSC are the people you meet and hang out with throughout your trip. Typically you surf with the same people each day, but it is easy to meet people in other groups by hanging out at the pool or going out for a sunset surf. This last trip that I just returned from I brought a friend. I have been talking about WRSC since the first time I went and finally a friend from work decided to give it a try and she loved it as well.

The first two trips to WRSC I was in the beginning group and we did most of our surfing on the beach only 50 yards from the hotel. The instructors were very helpful and get you riding your first wave within the first lesson or two. I have yet to have a bad instructor at WRSC, they all have their strengths and I'm sure weaknesses and each can help you in a different way. The last 2 years I have been there I joined the intermediate group. We traveled by van or boat to different beaches to catch the waves. Usually the the surf instructor will research which beach will have the best waves and off you go in the morning. If you are in the intermediate group your surf instructor becomes more of a coach, not as much teaching, but more helping you pick the right wave and telling you when to start paddling and to stand up. You can either hang out by your coach and get some help or spread out from the group and catch the waves on your own. The past two years I have had Flash as my instructor and he is very patient and helpful. Every once in a while he will catch a wave, which is fun to watch, but otherwise he is hanging out, sitting on his board, ready to tell you to "paddle, paddle, paddle".

The restaurant is very good. Each morning they have coffee ready and it's nice to grab a cup before the lesson. Breakfast is complimentary and always very good. Depending on the time of your lesson, you can either have breakfast before or after surfing. I prefer an early surf session and then relax in the restaurant while eating breakfast and watching the surfers out on the Ocean. Breakfast is always a great time to hang out with your fellow surfers and talk about the waves you caught.

The hotel is very practical, it is not a five star hotel with fancy towels and bedding, but it is clean and comfortable. Every room has AC and hot water in the shower. No TVs or real amenities in the room but who needs them. The rooms have just what you need and unless you need a break from the heat or are sleeping you won't be in there anyway. I might recommend bringing your own pillow if you are picky about that but otherwise unnecessary.

Everyone in the shop and behind the desk are very helpful. We had a problem with our AC and went down to let them know, within an hour one of the maintenance guys was in our room to take a look at it and fix it. I have always found them very helpful and if you have a problem, let them know and they will take care of it.

Finally, a shout out to Maxi, in the board cage. He will make sure you have the right surf board and will even put it aside for you so it's ready in the morning.

All in all , if you are looking for a fun trip and want to learn how to surf WRSC is the place to go. I highly recommend it and will be back again.
-Heidi

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hola Heidi,

So happy to hear the positive feedback from your fourth trip with us! It sounds like you have really enjoyed your past trips with us and progressed each visit making your way up to the intermediate coaching program.

Thank you for all your feedback and thorough review, I will make sure to pass this onto those you mentioned.

Hope to see you again soon!

Pura Vida!

Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Back in the US after my first solo trip out of the country and first trip ever to Costa Rica and I can not wait to go back! Tamarindo is a small, beautiful down dedicated to surfing and truly living the Pure Life - Pura Vida - its growing fast but I hope it will always keep the spirit and charm it has currently. Staying at Witches Rock Surf Camp was amazing! The camp is clean and very well maintained. The staff is great and always happy to help. I have never surfed before and I have to praise all of the instructors for their wonderful patience with all of us beginners! I met some amazing people and hopefully life long friends at the camp - I arrived solo but from the moment the driver picked me up at the airport I was never alone.

Room Tip: If you're going solo share a room with others. I was hesitant but am so happy I did. We became f...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicole F
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Hola Nicole,

Thank you for trusting WRSC with your first solo trip out of the US! We're always stoked to hear positive reviews from our solo travelers. You're right, Tamarindo is a beautiful town that emits the Pura Vida energy with Witch's Rock in the center of all the action. Glad to hear you had such a great time with us!

Gracias y Pura Vida

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I are in our 40's and were looking for a get away without the kids. Witches Rock surf camp was perfect for this, we learned to surf, made new friends and had the time of our lives. The witches rock staff take care of everything and the surf instructors are patient and kind and can teach you to surf at any age. The hotel on site was full but the staff helped us find accommodations close to camp. We are already planning our trip back next year with the kids!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hola Siemsy,

So happy to hear you enjoyed your get-a-way without the kids. Yes, Witch's Rock is a perfect place for any age or ability and super easy to meet friends. Glad to hear you had a blast staying with us.

Yes, please, next time bring the kids and we'll keep on spreading the stoke!

Pura Vida,

Staunton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

It is a great place to go surf and enjoy the ocean. The staff and instructors are all friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The guests are all surfers (or on their way to becoming surfers), some with spouses and children along. Everyone seems to have a similar approach to life and thoroughly enjoy each other. It is a lot like a hostel in that way.

We enjoy Costa Rica. I do the surf tour and my wife enjoys ocean swimming. The selection of surfboards available has become better and better over the five trips that we have made. This year I was so taken with the board that I used, I bought an identical board when I got home.

The food at Joe's is great, but we also enjoy walking into Tamarindo, often with other guests, and eating at the wide variety of restaurants.

The music and partying can be fairly loud on Friday and Saturday nights, but we are so exhausted by evening time that we sleep right through it.

Hope we can go back next year!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Hola Byron,

Thanks for you review. We agree, most of the people who come here all have a similar mindset and adventurous outlook on life. That's why it's so easy to socialize and meet new friends! As yes, just recently we received over 20 NEW surfboards of all kinds of shapes. We are pleased to hear you found one that worked well for you.

We really appreciate you coming back for your 5th time! You are truly a WRSC family member :)

Pura Vida, see you soon for #6!

Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We went surfing to Costa Rica with my brother without knowing exactly what to expect. We arrived to the Witch's Rock Surf Camp and everything was Ready and waiting for us. We had our surfing sessions scheduled for the week and everyone was really helpfull.
The surf was amazing, we went to 3 different beaches by boat and van, and the instructors were great. Special mention for Pako and Erlyn, two great "Ticos" who were really involved, and taught us a lot to improve our surf.
the 2 restaurants the hotel has are very good, but also the town of Tamarindo has a lot of nice and good places.

Just som advices:
-Try to book with some time, we only booked 2 weeks in advance and had to move from room to room and even some nights to another hotel (at Witch's rock they helped us and they made all the arrangements)
- They have all kinds of surf boards, but i still prefer to have mine
-Tamarindo is quite expensive, i was expecting something a lot cheaper
-Ticos and Ticas are great people, you will fall in love with the place and the people who live there
-Have fun and enjoy! Pura Vida!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Marcruiz
Hola Marcruiz,

Sounds like you had a great time with us traveling to a handful of local beaches and hanging out with some of our awesome surf instructors!

You're right, we really try to make your vacation as easy as possible. From the pick-up at the airport to two onsite restaurants with our own micro-beer, we try and provide everything you might need for a pleasant, rejuvenating vacation.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again!

Pura Vida,