“A Very Special Place: Perfect Way to Start the Trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Heredia
Toucan Rescue Ranch
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Very Special Place: Perfect Way to Start the Trip”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We booked the guest house for the first night of our 2 week vacation in Costa Rica and boy, was that the right decision. It's just a fascinating place. We arrived later than we wanted due to traffic from the airport, so it was dark and we were hungry, but Leslie was waiting for us with a menu in hand to make sure we were able to order food from a local restaurant before it shut for the night. The food was really good and we were grateful. In the morning, we awoke to see rows of Toucans from our window, and the sounds of nature all around us. But toucans are only the start of what she has there. The truly special part is meeting Leslie and hearing about her life and mission. She sat with us at breakfast (delicous, plentiful, homemade -- awesome coffee that is home grown) and brought out baby sloths to feed. You simply can't believe you're sitting at breakfast with an adorable baby sloth. Leslie then takes you on a tour of the ranch. Such variety, it's a mini zoo. But knowing the work she is doing is pioneering and life-saving makes it all the more special. While we were there, animal rescue professionals stopped by to drop off another toucan and to have her help and see if a rescued baby owl was ready to fly on its own. She is clearly an integral part of the animal rescue community in Costa Rica. We loved being part of her world for just a little while. You'll see so many different animals, up close, in what is clearly a happy and healthy setting. My girls (young teens) were enthralled by every minute of it. I was so happy we started our tour there -- we saw many animals in Costa Rica, but I think the ones we saw with Leslie at the ranch were the most memorable. We even took some selfies with the older, tolerant sloth. Highly recommend this experience. Once in a lifetime.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BostonTravellingMom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I knew I wanted to take the tour, but I'm also so glad that I stayed the night in one of the two guest houses. Leslie and Jorge made me feel at home and like I was part of the family immediately. I already reviewed the tour attraction, so I'll try to focus on the guest house. I was very comfortable in my room. The bed and shower were very nice. Had I been cooking, the kitchen had everything I would have needed. When I arrived before my room was ready, Leslie and Jorge were happy to visit with me, showed me the new clinic, and even offered me some of their leftover lunch. In the evening after the tours were done, I sat on the front porch to use the wifi, and felt so comfortable and welcomed visiting with them. When it was time for me to leave in the morning, I truly felt sad to be leaving such a beautiful place and such wonderful people. Knowing that I was traveling alone, they told me to keep their phone number in case I had any difficulties, as it's always good to have a friend. I was and am so thankful for this experience!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jaime G
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 31 July 2014

An absolutely wonderful experience! We stayed at the Toucan Rescue Ranch for our first two nights when we arrived in Costa Rica. It was a great way to start our vacation; it was so peaceful and welcoming. We loved everything about the Ranch. They truly do an amazing job with the animals. Everyone was friendly, warm and helpful. The tour was extremely interesting; we did not want it to end and it was really something seeing the baby sloths feed. The cottage was perfect, it had everything including a living and dining area and was so cozy; we enjoyed hanging out it in and what a bonus having the animals around us. We loved being able to step out and wonder about looking at the animals whenever we wanted to. It was truly a wonderful experience. The only problem we had was we wanted to go back for a night before leaving Costa Rica but we did not have enough time. If ever we go back to Costa Rica, going back to stay on the Ranch will be on the top of our list.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had an amazing time at the Toucan Rescue Ranch. My husband and I started our trip from San Jose airport with a tour here, and then stayed overnight. The cottage was quaint and cozy, the staff extremely nice and warm, and the animals were of course, amazing! We loved having the opportunity to learn about the animals at the beginning of our trip and then see them in the wild throughout. I would highly recommend staying here for a unique experience where you have up close interactions with animals. So many sloths...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Wonderful experience! Carol was very welcoming and helpful, she is passionate for the animals. We got to see many babies and we were welcome to walk around the ranch after the tour. The sloths were my very favorite.

The guest house was very clean and private. And it was nice to have breakfast on the porch with the birds and monkeys around us.

They are doing a tremendous work with all the animals. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Giddy Up D
Oregon
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This place was amazing! The rooms are your own private cottages with lots of sleeping areas. And the breakfast was great! It was the best gallo pinto I had on the trip. We came to Costa Rica to see the animals of the rainforest, and here we saw more species than anywhere else on our trip. Carol and Leslie gave us a great tour of the space and told us all about the animals and how they came to their place. I love that they are trying to rehabilitate the sick or injured animals to put them back into their own habitat. And if that isn't able to happen, they continue to care for them. You can tell they really have passion for what they do. If you stay there, you get to see Leslie feed the babies right near where you are eating breakfast. I have some of the cutest pictures of the baby sloths eating out of little baby bottles. And it was so sweet to watch Leslie trying to teach them how to eat their natural food - various kinds of leaves. I highly recommend this place for the heartwarming feeling you will get from the animals and the people who care for them.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DianeOregon
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed 1 night at the end of our Costa Rican adventure, and it wrapped everything up just beautifully. Also, it was great to have a hot shower and a fluffy pillow after staying in cheap hostels all week. We loved getting to know the creatures that live there, as well as witness the welcoming of a sweet as can be stick bird in need of Leslie's love and care. I know this won't be the last time I see Leslie and Jorge. They are such great hosts, we were so sad to leave, but I'll be back!

Please, even if you don't visit... consider giving to their cause. It truly is great!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heredia
Hotel Chalet Tirol
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 77 in San Jose
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn

Been to Toucan Rescue Ranch? Share your experiences!