“Sick for a week”

Ranked #5 of 205 Restaurants in Heredia
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Even though the owner means well, the place is ready close down. My wife and I were regulars as the food was good and the prices were decent. Our last time there we got a severe stomach infection resulting in non-stop vomiting and diarrhea, followed by visits to the gastrointestinal doctor and bills of hundreds of dollars/thousands of colones.

2  Thank Rafazv70

Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

Try the empanadas, the enyucados and the crepes!
Service is very friendly. The atmosphere is tranquil, with smooth music and always exhibiting paintings from local artists.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

The food was well executed. I had the trout which was faultless, though my wife found her steak indifferent. No surprises there, as Costa Rica is not known for the quality of its beef. If you have not tried empanada's I can recommend them as a starter. The restaurant itself has attractive Decor, and unusually for Heredia is set back from the road and thus provides off street parking. I have one major criticism and that was the service, we waited over an hour from order to the first course appearing. Now to be clear, this may not be typical, there was a Public Speaking group having a meeting and eating when we were there, and this may have swamped the kitchen. However the service was so so slow I am unlikely to try this resturant again for a while.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I spent 6 nights in Heredia and ate at this restaurant two of those evenings. The owner was incredibly nice and helpful. We asked for his recommendation both nights and received some of the absolute best meals we've had. -The first night we ate Trucha (trout) with a honey mustard sauce, new potatoes and an amazing vegetable medley with a Passion Fruit batido...AMAZING! We didn't even talk, we just savored the food. The second time we returned, my husband ate a Del Monaco steak and I had chicken, and this time we had a Cas Batido which was incredible!
It is also good to mention that I have a dairy allergy and the owner talked to me about my preferences and made up a special chicken dish for me with pleasure... and it was just as amazing as the trout the first time!
I most highly recommend this restaurant for an excellent affordable meal. Meal like this in the states would cost twice as much as it did here! We'll be back when we return to Costa Rica!

Reviewed 1 February 2012

A large group of friends -- four of us pregnant -- had lunch at La Candelaria. The salad bar is a bit sparse, but since I've never been to another restaurant in Costa Rica with a free salad bar, I won't complain. The Spanish owner was very friendly, and gave us wonderful recommendations. The food was delicious. We will return!