“Great start to vacation!”
Review of Peace Lodge

Peace Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Heredia
Los Angeles
“Great start to vacation!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was our first stop on our Costa Rican vacation - and what a start! Not far from the San Jose airport and as soon as you arrive, you are treated as valued guests. The service and attention is amazing and everyone we met there was wonderful - so friendly and accommodating! The resort is breath taking. From your first view of Trout Lake from reception down to the Waterfall Gardens - everything is spectacular!

We stayed in The Monarch Villa which is a huge room - immense master bedroom, separate loft upstairs for the kids, and large living area. The bathroom is simply incredible with large jacuzzi tub with a waterfall and dual waterfall shower head shower. The design and detail of the room defies words with tons of tiny touches that make you say "wow,"

We had a private tour through their animal sanctuary and the Waterfall Gardens. This was perfect for us (family of 4 with 2 kids - 9 and 6). The kids loved this and we made so many memories their that we won't forget from feeding toucans and hummingbirds to touching butterflies to my son having a baby boa constrictor around his neck (he loved it, me not so much...).
The waterfalls were spectacular. We did the night frog tour as well which was lots of fun.

The food was of very high quality all around. Great breakfast buffet and lots to choose from at dinner. My kids fell in love with our waiter who always remembered our names and went out of his way to provide excellent service (thanks Daniel!).

We also enjoyed their "indoor pool" - not really indoor but covered and swam both in the day and the night looking out at the beautiful landscape. And my kids loved their first fishing adventure on Trout Lake.

Only caution at this hotel is that there is a ton of steps, so would not recommend it for anyone unable to handle walking up and down them multiple times a day. For us, it was a great way to work off all the food we were eating!

In all, I highly recommend this resort for families!

Room Tip: Loved the Monarch Villa which had separate sleeping loft area for the kids and was very spacious for...
2 Thank calidoc2006
PeaceLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Peace Lodge, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear calidoc2006
The staff and management of Peace Lodge wish to express our gratitude for your glowing review of our property. It gives us much pleasure to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your vacation with us from accommodations, to exhibits, to food and service. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to Daniel. Our desire is to provide a memorable experience to our valued guests and to know we have succeeded is most rewarding. We hope one day to be able to welcome you again.
With thanks
Carole Comienzo
Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bellevue, Nebraska
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I showed up with over 100 lbs. of camera equipment. Two young men hauled it up and down stairs for 2 days. When I wanted to move to another location one phone call and around came the golf cart. At 63 years of age it was great. Great place to shoot hundreds off hummingbirds. They come to you. There is a building to get frog shots. Great place to shoot flowers, wildlife etc.. No problem setting up eight speedlites and stands. They cater to photographers. Staying at the hotel allowed me to catch the sunrise light for the best shots and to beat the tours that start coming in at 9am.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mark C
PeaceLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Peace Lodge, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of our property. Staff and management are gratified that you found us to be a "photographer's paradise" and enjoyed the services of our staff members.
We are looking forward to your return visit in anticipation of seeing more of your talented photography.
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Flowers, frogs, butterflies, birds, waterfalls, volcano and the most amazing bathrooms. Yes there are about 100 plants, a spa, a shower and a waterfall in your bathroom with complete ceiling sky light. Extremely unique experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EspressoRay
PeaceLodge, Gerente at Peace Lodge, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear EspressoRay,

Thank you very much for your valuable review. Staff and management of Peace Lodge are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit.

We look forward to your return!

Warm regards!

Jorge Alvarado Herrera
Hotel Manager
Clermont, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel during our recent trip to Costa Rica. It was truly an amazing experience! The accommodations and grounds were incredibly beautiful, and the staff was exceptional. Highly recommend it!!

3 Thank CarolClermontNY
PeaceLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Peace Lodge, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and are gratified that you enjoyed the experience. Thank you for your kind review. It is very much appreciated.
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I felt compelled to write and offer a review of the Peace Lodge given the experience my family had there a few weeks ago. I agree 100% with the glowing comments offered by other impressed guests who have posted reviews. The design of the property is really amazing. While there are lots of stairs, both on the resort property and at the waterfalls, all are superbly constructed for easy safe access while still somehow blending into the natural beauty of the surrounding area. Our room, the most “basic” of those offered at the Peace Lodge was really amazing – our favorite of our entire stay in CR (and we stayed at some beautiful resorts!). Interactive animal exhibits were once-in-a-lifetime experiences my kids (9 and 12) will never forget. Our stay was just prior to Easter, which is, apparently, the busiest week of the year, but you never would have known that. There is such an intimacy to the setting. The staff immediately get to know you by name and anticipate your every need - we always felt like we were guests in someone’s private home! I wanted to give them a shout out, and I hope I correctly remember their names and don’t leave anyone out. Because, most importantly, I had a pretty scary medical emergency that honestly could have ruined our entire trip had the staff not been as attentive as they were. We were several hours late on our arrival as my son and I had both developed ear infections after surfing in Manuel Antonio (a blast, by the way!) and we needed to stop at a medical clinic in Quepos to be evaluated and get antibiotics. We were delayed enough to miss our first scheduled tour of the property at the Peace Lodge. Upon check in, Jason greeted us and told us not to worry about a thing. He would re-arrange the tour and be sure we could do it on another day. My son got feeling better with meds pretty much immediately. However, my infection spread quickly, all my lymph nodes down to my collar bone swelled up, and by the next morning I had excruciating pain and pressure in my ear and head. While I suspected it was just an ear infection, I have some other serious health issues that made this experience VERY SCARY. I was in a foreign country, a long ride away from a major hospital, with no phone service, and American doctors who were not responding to e-mail! The morning desk attendant in the main lodge, Jose, immediately opened up the staff office, gave me open access to the Lodge’s phone line (no charge), and found me a comfortable spot to try to contact the US. He was very reassuring and kept checking in on me, asking if I needed anything, and quickly arranged for a private driver to come transport me to the hospital. And before they would let me go to the hospital, they had a local ambulance company come and had the EMT check me out to make sure I was OK to make the trip (again, no charge for the EMT check - just making sure the plan was a safe one). The driver got us there quickly, waited while I was seen in the ER, then got us back to the Peace Lodge. Good news in all this - I chose to go to the large private hospital in San Jose – Hospital Clinica Biblica, and ER doc was great. Whole facility very modern and all about customer service (wish I could get that in the US!). They immediately treated me with different antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and pain meds and got me feeling better within hours. We were back at the Peace Lodge by early afternoon, but I was so upset my illness had interrupted the day’s plans that my family was so looking forward to – rafting and horseback riding. But Jose had already taken care of all of it – he rearranged the activities until the next day (no cancellation charge despite this being one of the tours that there usually is a penalty for last-minute cancellations) and Jose suggested how we might use the afternoon for the different wild-life exhibits so we would still be able to get in everything we had hoped for. From that point forward, ALL the staff kept checking in on us to make sure I was feeling OK and we had what I needed. Next day, Mike, one of the bird experts, was our driver for the day to the rafting/horseback riding. So personable and knowledgeable about the area – even the drive was fun! We stopped on the way back at a local private home where Mike knew a Great Pootoo bird was nesting with its baby – a really beautiful (and apparently rare) sight. Given the length of our day, we were a little worried we would not make it back in time to see the Falls (the one thing we hadn’t gotten to yet given my hospital trip) as the last shuttle back to the lodge leaves at 5pm. Mike told us not to worry about it – take our time and enjoy the Falls and if we missed the last shuttle, he would come back and get us personally! We made it – with time to spare, but still, the offer was so appreciated! Our final day, Mike came in at the crack of dawn to do the private bird tour we had missed (my 9 year old daughter is a huge bird lover!) so we could squeeze it in before heading out to the airport. A few days after we arrived home, Mike sent me an e-mail with his notes of all the birds we spotted along with beautiful photos – my daughter’s been proudly showing them off at school ever since! Wait staff was also really wonderful – all very attentive and know you by name. Walter was our primary dinner waiter and Daniel the bartender making terrific drinks at the Lodge’s different bars. Last but not least, he didn’t know the young man’s name, but my husband said: “be sure to mention the Serpentarium guide!” He took the time to tell my son all about the different snakes and even offered to take a few out so he could see them up and close. Obviously, I would highly recommend the Peace Lodge without any reservations. While it may be on the expensive side compared to some other resorts, you get what you pay for, and in our experience, every penny was worth it! Just a beautiful property with really top-notch staff.

Room Tip: If you are trying to be more mindful of budget, we had the most "basic" of rooms and it wa...
1 Thank Janis T
The staff and management of Peace Lodge wish to express our gratitude for your gracious comments. It is always rewarding to know our guests have had a memorable vacation experience. Thank you for staying with us, it was our pleasure to serve you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My entire family stayed at Peace Lodge last week and had such a great start to our CR vacation. My children LOVED the animals, fishing ,hiking. The amenities (we stayed in a standard room) were very unique and my kids loved the waterfall in our bathroom and jacuzzi on our deck. The staff made a huge effort to be accomodating and helpful.

5 Thank Momfotwoboys
Dear momfotwoboys
Thank you very much for your kind comments about our property and staff. It gives us much pleasure to hear your family enjoyed a pleasant experience and that you found our accommodations unique and our animal exhibits fun for your children. Our staff is pleased to hear you found their service to be helpful
Thank you again for taking the time to post a review
Warm regards
Carole Comienzo
Guest Relations Manager
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here during Semana Santa, when most of the tourist areas are very crowded. This place is absolutely wonderful. The moment you arrive, you can feel all of your tension or stress just lift away. Very courteous and attentive staff. Quiet, even with the crowds in the waterfall gardens. My kids loved the animals, and the falls are just gorgeous. Food is good. We loved keeping the balcony door open and waking to the sounds if the birds, monkeys, and water. Bed is super comfortable. Rollaways for the kids were provided and were comfortable as well. Wonderful place.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank cindyp212
Thank you for writing such a lovely review of our property. It is gratifying for the staff and management to know you found a peace and serenity here with us. We appreciate that you chose to vacation at Peace Lodge/Waterfall Gardens and sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heredia
Xandari Resort & Spa
#2 of 9 in Heredia
El Churrasco Hotel Restaurante
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn
Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel and Nature Reserve

Been to Peace Lodge? Share your experiences!