“Hilton Doubletree, San Jose Costa Rica”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
Reviewed 18 April 2014

From the moment I stepped on to this property to the time I left; every employee I encountered from Bell to front desk wait staff bartenders all were friendly helpful above and beyond. Room was clean comfortable, entire hotel very nice. wish I could have stayed longer. Highly recommend this Hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Carolina S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose-Costa Rica. I’m happy to hear that our service and our great amenities made your stay more comfortable. Hope to see you again soon. Carolina Salazar, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here for two weeks and had a great experience. Starting with Francisco the doorman that so kindly greated us each evening and the wonderful staff at breakfast, specifically Ramon and Tania. Everyone was so kind and so helpful. The hotel itself was kept very clean but was not real fancy. The beds were very comfortable and I felt the cleaning staff did a nice job each day as well. I stayed her the first two weeks and the Marriott the 3rd week. Although the Marriott was very nice and fancier, the staff at Doubletree wins hands down. I would stay at the Doubletree again, in a heart beat, just based on the staff alone.

I did run behind the hotel in the nice neighborhoods each morning after sunrise and felt completely safe, but can not speak to the safety after dark.

Thumbs up again for being treated like a true guest at the same time feeling like family.

Room Tip: choose a room that faces the pool area if possible
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your nice comments. I’m happy to hear that Francisco, Ramon and Tania made your stay more comfortable. I’ll pass it on. Thanks for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. Carolina Salazar, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed only one night to fly out early the next morning... one night too many if you ask me! Upon arrival we were greeted nicely by the doorman, our room wasnt ready since we were slightly early, so we stored our bags with the front desk and hit the pool. The pool had a nice bar area and was very clean, but the noise was not ideal. It being so close to the airport you got a lot of that traffic noise. After settling in, we decided to head into the old city to check things out, the conceirge informed us it was SAFE to take the public bus down and back since it would be considerably less expensive then a taxi. We had no problems, and arrived back before sunset and decided to go to the Hardrock Cafe for dinner which happened to be a block and a half from the hotel. Ate dinner, which was greasy and not good at all unfortunately (but that's for another review), and decided to walk back to hotel. Just out of site from the Hardrock two men in hoodies approached us on the unlit sidewalk, put a gun in my face and demanded all of our money! We gave them what they wanted and we ran back to the Hardrock! The manager there was very attentive, called the local police and the hotel to send a shuttle for us. He informed us at this time that this has been happening a lot lately, and that the wait staff was frequently being robbed as they got off work! Would have been nice to know right? Once we got back to the hotel, we spoke breifly to the police who didnt seem remotely interested in speaking to us.Hotel management also spoke with us at this time to see if they could do anything. My boyfriend proceded to ask them if this sort of thing happened frequently, they were hesitant to reply honestly, and finally answered "yes, this is a bad part of of town". Again, would have been nice to know right? Dont tell your guests its safe to travel without an escort if its not! Be HONEST with your guests, we would have been ok if you told us "to be careful at night, definitely call a shuttle". But instead we got robbed, at gunpoint! Its scary to think what could have happened, and I hope this doesnt happen to anyone else! BE AWARE of your surroundings, and ask questions!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lauren A

Thank you for posting your feedback and please accept our sincere apologies. We take all comments we receive from our guests very seriously and your suggestions will help us improve guest safety at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose . Again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. If we can help in any way, please feel free to contact us. Carolina Salazar, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

First night there I was assigned a room on the 1st floor which had no functional windows nor external air circulation. The room was musty and smelly to the point I could taste the smell. The floors were sticky with damp film of moisture. Upon seeing the room I immedeately returned to the main desk to get another room and unfortunately the hotel was sold out. I couldn't sleep that night due to the smell, the pillows and linens smell musty like an old locker room. The staff was polite and appologetic, and they did upon my request move me to a 2nd floor room with functional windows the next day. Bottom line rm #1108 should not be for rent for any price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review of your experience with your guest room. At DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose, we often utilize guest reviews to help us improve our hotel operations. We’ve reviewed your feedback with our hotel team and are now actively taking steps to freshen our guestrooms. We appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Costa Rica. Carolina Salazar, Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Double Tree is a bit faded and could do with a refresh, but overall it's a comfortable and rather bland, US mi-range chain hotel. Staff are generally very kind and helpful, though I found reception staff to be a bit cold and officious. Rooms are spacious and comfortable, with those awful little coffee percolators that deliver flavorless black water, no matter how hard you try to squeeze some value out of the coffee bags. Don't go looking for a decent cup of coffee in the restaurant either - more black water. Quantity matters here more than quality. 'Another cup of coffee?' Perhaps not. Mercifully real coffee can be found in the lobby.

During my five day (conference) stay, the lobby featured a rather cheesy display about the upcoming Oscars. Guests were invited to vote for their favorite stars and films. This should tell you all you need to know about the DoubleTree.

Conference facilities are OK, though the plenary area (the ballroom) is windowless.

The pool is huge and well maintained.

Food is mediocre. Vegetarians will not find their joy here. Wine is served in plastic cups if you want a drink by the pool. How tacky can you get?

Overall a pleasant, comfortable hotel. If you are looking for some real Costa Rican character and style, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the pool have balconies, but can be a bit noisy if kids are around.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your insight on your recent experience at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose-Costa Rica. We’re very sorry that some of our services didn’t meet your expectations and we’re taking your recommendation to improve them. Our guest reviews give us valuable information to deliver the best dining experience possible, and we appreciate your feedback. Please visit us again the next time you’re in Costa Rica, and tell us how we’re doing. Thank you. Carolina Salazar, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was doing my second marriage there, and later stay over night. Absolute everything was great. Service was very good and the room was great and very high quality. The whole party was payed by my father in law. so I not can say anything about the prices, but this is a first class hotel, so everything had his price too.
Well, we not have enough time to enjoying ever single possibility (like spa, etc.), just looking around, and really found nothing to grump!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

It was a pleasure to host your important event. We look forward to sharing many more of your special moments. Thanks again! Carolina Salazar, Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Having visited Costa Rica a number of years ago, this trip to San Jose was mostly to see some of the highlights of the city. We had stayed at the Hampton by the airport previously, so I decided to try the seemingly more resort-like DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari.

I was initially assigned a nice two-room junior suite at a quiet end of the hotel near the fitness room and spa. But since it was on the first floor and faced upon an outside side street, I decided to ask for a change. Although the hotel was apparently close to fully booked, the front desk staff were gracious and accommodating in finding a room on the upper floor which faced into the pool area. It had a nice balcony, but they apologized for not being able to find an available upgraded room. The room was actually totally great!

A quick tour of the hotel turned up an ATM on property, a well-equipped fitness facility, casino, spacious open-air restaurant and an inviting large swimming pool. It was the latter which called me by name to have a swim, and then a nice poolside beverage and lunch filled out most of the afternoon. I found specialty restaurants, bars, a shopping mall, grocery and liquor stores, a food court and several nice boutique shops all within easy walking distance. It was simple to purchase my coffee beans to take home, handmade candies, gifts and souvenirs without having to venture far from the hotel.

Their breakfast buffet was amazing...all you could want and more! But as with all good buffets, I hated (but needed) to stop eating. The hotel shuttle can be reserved to take you directly to the airport for a reasonable fee...unlike being terribly overcharged on the taxi ride from the airport to hotel! And just a suggestion...pay your exit tax at the hotel and for a few dollars more you can avoid the long lines at the airport!

But there was a huge downside to staying at the DoubleTree Cariari. It was fun to just hang by the pool, eat, drink, work out and catch a few rays of sun :-) So I really never left the property except to browse the nearby mall, buy a few groceries and shop for the items to take home! That means I'll just have to book a return trip to actually see the highlights of San Jose...lol :-)

Room Tip: Better to face the pool of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank eelSeattle

Thanks for staying here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose-Costa Rica. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service (along with our delicious cookie at check in). We look forward to welcoming you back. Carolina Salazar, Director of Sales & Marketing

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel...
#5 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 78 in San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#12 of 78 in San Jose
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Jose Aeropuerto, Costa Rica
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#4 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose? Share your experiences!