“Cute room, excellent breakfast, great service 1 would stay again”

Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
Reviewed 14 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at this Ramada this first and last nights of our 16 day Costa Rican adventure. What a great find by our travel agent!
My husband had done two summers of biological field work in Costa Rica approximately 30 years ago, and had never stayed in what could be considered a tourist hotel, so was a little apprehensive of what he would find. But the hotel was great. Easy check in, cute and very clean room. We arrived late that night so the restaurant was closed and we instead ate in the bar. The server (sorry, I forgot his name) was very good, even though he was running the bar and dealing with drinks for the casino. My husband and I both had the typical Costa Rican dinner - salad, grilled cheese, black beans and rice, his with fish and mine with beef - very tasty. The next morning we experienced the best breakfast of the entire trip (including the breakfasts we had on the Windstar) - a lavish buffet that included gallo pinto, delicious and fresh fruit, some excellent organic jams with croissants and many many other options. All in a lovely open air setting near the pools. Check out was a snap and then it was off to our cruise.
After the cruise and then six nights at an excellent ecolodge (La Paloma) in the Osa peninsula, we stayed at the Ramada again the night before our departure from Costa Rica. This time our room was a bit more expensive but on the executive floor, with a room almost twice as large and a more luxurious bathroom, also free wifi in the room and free use of computers in the business center. After a 3 hour nap (those 6 days in the Osa were great but exhausting) we had lunch at the Tropicala restaurant and were very pleased with the food - I had the tortilla soup (delicious with hearty chunks of avocado) and the beef tenderloin sandwich (very tender with a perfect and garlicky chimichurri sauce). Really good. And the next morning we were again very happy with the breakfast buffet.
Honestly, I can't think of a better place to stay on arrival and pre-departure days - it is a 5-10
minute ride to/from the international airport, the service is great, the food was outstanding for a non-luxury hotel, the rooms were cute (even better the second time) and very clean, the pools were great, as were the drinks in the bar. The only real issue might be the location, as it is not close to
anything touristy, but no problems getting a taxi and free transport to
and from the airport. We recommend the Ramada Plaza Herradura very highly.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank reptileenthusiast
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments. I am glad you have had such an excellent stay with us. I hope you will be able to enjoy the japanese restaurant which is the best in town next time.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We spent 2 nights at this hotel so we could do one last tour of the central valley and still be near the airport for our early morning flight. For our purposes the hotel was perfect, but for others the location well out of town near a factory may not be as good.

After being at some more rustic hotels earlier in the trip, this elegant perfectly clean place was really nice. Beautifully decorated hotel, large pleasant room with a huge bathroom, nice restaurants, and excellent breakfast buffet. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. The pool area was beautiful but unheated so it was kind of cold. My kids still played in it, but it was not warm enough for everyone. On our last morning we had to leave before the breakfast buffet started, but when I asked they arranged packed breakfasts for us to pick up at the front desk and take to the airport. I felt this place did everything I wanted and I would highly recommend it if the location works for you.
You can even pay your airport departure tax here which will save you time at the airport.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mattabessett

Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for the time you have taken to write this note. It is very important for us to know that our people are very committed with the sustainability and high quality service.

Reviewed 30 December 2011

Spent 9 days at the Ramada and really enjoyed the hotel, staff, etc... the one negative is that its next to a factory that is in operation from early morning to late at night. There were sounds that coming from the factory that did interfere with my sleep. We loved our room...it was roomy, comfortable and had a great bathroom. Housekeeping services were excellent. A daily breakfast buffet was included in the price and it was really good. The hotel has a spa and they have specials almost every day which were a substancial savings...plus a guest can use the spa's hot tub and steam room for no charge, just call ahead. The disappointment was that the hotel states it has 5 hot tubs outside which it does but they are right in front of the restaurant, I mean just a couple of feet. No one used them while we were there because I think no one felt comfortable being almost a part of the outside seating of the restaurant...I know we didnt. The really good news is that the hotel is right across the street from large mall, called the Playa Real Cariari. There is a walking bridge not too far down from the entrance to the hotel where you can cross over. The mall is two stories and has lots of fast food restaurants and stores inside. There is also a strip mall with up to 5 or 6 restaurants next to it and and Mega Grocery store on the other side. This gave us a lot more flexibility on where to eat and things to do. The hotel staff was also very helpful about using the bus system which is so much cheaper than taking a taxi into San Jose. It was less than $2.00 US for a round trip.

Room Tip: Try to be away from the factory next door
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mjesijames

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and comments about your experience at the Ramada Herradura.In fact, you had enough time to enjoy most of our services. Boring is not allowed at the Ramada Herradura. As a matter of fact, you will find different specials at the restaurants, bar and casino as well. Moreover, you would be able to enjoy such a different events for those special dates such as thanksgiving, labor day, mother and father´s days and so on. We hope you have you with us in a near future again.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I only spent one night at this hotel and did not arrive until 10:30 PM, but was very pleased with the accommodations and the staff. Although I arrived late, the hotel provided an excellent buffet dinner. The rooms are spacious and clean and the grounds are beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank rkambinus
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sending us this note. I appreciate the time you have taken to write these commets. I hope you stay with us again and would be able to enjoy our beautiful grounds, swimming pools, restaurants and so on.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed here only for 2 nights. The hotel is located far from center and I would not book it for any other reason, but its close proximity to the airport. The rooms are rather small, and a bit outdated, but clean and the beds are very comfortable. The bathroom is small, but each one consists of a whirlpool bathtub (small in size) - which by the way is nice and deep - great for soaking. That was a nice touch.

I think the nicest thing about this hotel are its grounds - beautifully groomed and the pool area is really awesome :) I would stay here again, but only for the same reason - close proximity to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Reasonable rates and full buffet breakfast are two of the major positives of this hotel. It does have a truly impressive entrance, lobby and reception area which has been recently remodled but that's about where it all ends and everything else seems to be in the process of being chaged.... I hope.
PROS:
- Good rates and regular free shuttle to / from the airport
- Wide selection of food at the breakfast buffet
- Spacious rooms

CONS:
- The nice modern room which I booked and saw on the webiste was nothing like what I got and obviously got one of the older rooms
- For some reason I was given 2 twin bed when I requested 1 king but that was rectified
- Walls are extremely thin to the point that you could hear people having a "normal" conversation in the room next door
- With 2 of us in the room we never got more than 1 bottle of water daily, maybe we were to share it
- With it being a conference facility, expect maybe a night or so of music.... this I realized the hard way
- Fitness center was disappointing with only 3 (literally) pieces of gym equipment

My one MAJOR problem with this hotel was that it is well known for having conferences, meetings & events and I was trying to have something there for 11-11-11 and up to this day I wasn't able to reach anyone from banqueting to talk to them or have a walk around to help me plan. So in the end I had to find another place to plan my event which needless to say didn't come off as I expected. Really disappointed with their lack of service in this regard.
I planned a similar event at a hotel nearby last year and got much better assistance and correspondence that what I got with Ramada.

Overall you get a good deal for room and breakfast within walking distance to the mall but if you could spend the extra money you'll get a better experience at another nearby hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bajan300
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you the time you have taken to write this note. Our hotel has a lot of advantages for those clients who are traveling for business and leisure.

We really appreciate you comments and suggestions which no doubt help us to do it better every day. I am going to find out what happened with your request , however, if you would have had more information such as: the employee name, position, etc that will help us to make better dessisions. We hope to have you with us in a near future.

All the best,

Reviewed 1 November 2011

We did not have reservations here and the front desk was more than accommodating when we showed up. We felt the price was right and the rooms were very nice. I personally thought the location was perfect since it was between the city and the airport. A great pool and a fantastic breakfast buffet!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
maximilianoruiz, Director of Sales at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Ramada Plaza Herradura Hotel.

We appreciate these excellent comments about your experience with us. Our people are very committed with high quality service and sustainability. We hope to have you with with in a near future.

Regards,

Maximiliano Ruiz V.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Jose Aeropuerto, Costa Rica
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#4 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 78 in San Jose
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu

Been to Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!