Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
El Rodeo Estancia Boutique Hotel & Steakhouse(San Antonio De Belen)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$80
US$107
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose(San Antonio De Belen)
US$238
US$227
  • Pool
US$186
US$166
Doubletree.com
  • Pool
City Express San Jose Costa Rica(San Antonio De Belen)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$96
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
  • Spa
US$78
US$75
Apartotel Obelisco(San Antonio De Belen)
TripAdvisor
1,071 results
All reviewsjapanese restauranthard rock cafesan josecosta ricaclose to the airportfree shuttlebreakfast buffetshopping mallswim up barsmall casinolobby areacoffee makergift shopan early flightinternational airportpoolsquattro
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a couple months on a business trip. this hotel seams nice but we experienced a few thing that is completely unacceptable, we understand that costa rica is full of wild life, but finding a scorpion and a rat jumping out of the toilet was what we experienced at this hotel. the pool isn't really clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tony_potenza
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. I have never before received a comment such as yours. I will definitely talk to housekeeping and investigate this issue. With regard to the pools, they are cleaned daily. Should you visit us again we are sure that you won´t have any problems.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

The hotel is located aprox. 5-10 minutes from San Jose´s International airport.
A complimentary shuttle bus is provided by the hotel.

I decided to book this place as it had a very good rating on Expedia - which I don´t share at all after I had stayed here:

I arrived at night; the check-in was quick.
My room was on the ground floor: spacious but moldy-smelling.
Some maintenance work is required here (at least in the room I stayed in). See pics.
A lavatory - and no plug!
No manual water-tap with hot/cold water - only a contact-free "switch".

As I found out later, the sliding door to the terrace DID NOT LOCK!

The room´s furtniture was an absolute tasteless collection of furniture - a shame for a hotel of that category (see pictures). 3 stars - at its best.

I went to the "fitness facility" which was the next nightmare:
2 smelly rooms - disgusting.
Almost dark - thanks to several defective lights - and some old workout equipment.
Management: you should either shut this section down or bring it up to date!

In front of the hotel - like 30-50 meters,
construction work was going on: a Hard Rock Cafe is built.

It´s a 10 minutes walk to the Plaza Real Cariari Mall with some dining and shopping options.

Breakfast: A selection of fruits and sweet foods.
For being a tropical country, the juices were disgusting! Artificial sweet sugarwater!
Asking 3-4 times in order to get a cup of coffee - I wonder how the service is when the place is busy.

From the outside, the hotel looks nice - including the lobby.
The room, corridors, gym etc. are far below this level and needs some brush-up.

The location of the hotel is nice - and it´s a challenge for the management to
get it up to date so that visitors can fully enjoy all potentials.

I´ll look for a different place next time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments. Your compliments regarding the outside of our hotel and the lobby were much appreciated. The constriuction of the Hard Rock Café has already been completed and it is now open for business.

We are sorry that you were not pleased with your stay. I have spoken to the operations manager and giving him a copy of your message. Your pictures made it possible for him to fix the demage which had been done behind the door and which was an oversight.

Here in the tropics it is very difficult to avoid any musty smell you mentioned due to high humidity such as we have in Costa Rica. Our rooms are aired frequently.

In your pictures I noticed that only one room of the gym was shown. I wonder if you saw the other rooms with the other equiment. With regard to the lighting I have not hear about this problem before. So we will definitely check into it. Usually the Tropicala restaurant has at least three fresh fruit juices available every morning. Indeed, many clients have complimented us on the quality of our breakfasts.

I should like to provide you with my direct email address ( mruiz@wyndhamherradura.com), if you return to Costa Rica it would be my pleasure to make sure that you receive a room which is to your liking and to show you the full extend of our installations and how to take full advantage of them.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Excellent service and facilities. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and the food is excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
2  Thank Alexander I
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Alexander,

Thank you for your very pleasant and affirmative message. It is good to know that you had a memorable visit, and that everything was to your satisfaction.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Costa Rica.... Pura Vida!!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Purpose of our visit here was a business conference for my husband, and some touristy things.
We arrived in early, and were checked in with efficiency. Our luggage was stored until our room was ready. The whole process was painless.
We were given the meandering tour thru the maze of accommodation wings to the restaurant, and enjoyed a great meal by the hot tubs. Prices were not exhorbitant, and the food was tasty.
Our room was ready and we settled in. Fortunately we were put in the newer section of the hotel, where key passes are required to use the elevators...so we didn't have issues with roving bands of drunken partiers. However if said people had just gone to the far end of the stairs...they would have found that the stair doors were always open, so really the key pass security was pointless. Also I watched a young child jimmy the stair door close to the elevator, which was actually locked and closed, but not securely latched, and gain access to the secure area that way. Sure made it faster to get to our room.
Our room was spacious, clean, and had a view over the pools...just lovely.
We did hear some raucous one evening in the hot tubs, but hotel staff were quick to disperse the partyers and it was quiet again.
It was nice that there were two tourist information offices in the hotel...near the lobby. I made good use of both these establishments and will review my tours there as well...the 3 in one tour with Marbello Tours; the Britt coffee tour; and thru Grayline...the Jungle Tom Safari tour to Tortuguero.
We ate twice at Satsura restaurant in the Hotel...fabulous sushi, good service...just wasn't expecting to have sushi in Costa rica...I try to taste local foods as much as possible. However..it became quick knowledge that the nearby Italian restaurant was sub par...and we did explore some restaurants around the Hotel...we were just limited by space, and distance.
Pools were continually cleaned and maintained...wonderful...debris from thoughtless guests quickly collected...gym facilities rather warm, but the fan did help...all machines functioned well.
Breakfast was extensive...to say the least...all very tasty..highlighting local favourites as well...lots of fresh fruit...and if you like coffee...it was tremendous. Staff hard working and courteous.
Nice gift shop in the lobby...conference center a short walk across the parking lot...certainly fed the conference people well and provided a fine location for the meeting (600 people).
Location is relatively close to the airport, across from the Carrion shopping center...ha...no jokes about that...with lots of opportunity to shop/dine there if you wished. Otherwise it was a rather industrial/residential area...which could have been in any big city.
What more can I say...nothing untoward happened...it was a clean, peaceful place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the executive floors by the pool...marvelous.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank mokinator10

Dear guest,

We are greatful for your message. We are glad you enjoyed your stay as well as the restaurants, the pools, the tour agencies and the subsequent tours. We appreciate you mentioning the fact that the star doors were either opened or easy to open, we will definitely check into this to improve security. It is good that you were not bothered by the poeple who were partying, and we are pleased to hear that our staff quickly broke up the group which was causing to much noise.

We expect to see you in the near future and trust that you will once again enjoy your stay.

All the best,

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Hotel room - nice enough. About what we expected.
Restaurant - see separate review. US $18 for a burger, drinks watered down and taste like powdered drink mix, but passable.
Service - very nice, attentive staff. Waiters fairly attentive, clean, food good.
Trying to actually sleep...not possible with Roving Drunken Hordes of partiers who feel the need to scream in the Halls at night and bark like dogs and howl like wolves in heat. Really wish i was kidding.
Apparently the Wyndham tries hard to attract a lot of 'Functions' of every sort to increase its revenues.
Sharing one very small parking lot out front are a large hotel, a Japanese Steak House, a casino (part of the Wyndham) the "Fiesta Restaurant", the other two restaurants, an events Hall (which was having a wedding going on) and almost completed and soon to open is a Hard Rock Cafe. All this without any thought as to where to park all these people! The parking attendants (a nice security touch) are triple parking everyone on top of each other and reserving numerous spaces for rental cars which i guess is yet another side business for this Mega-Mall of activity.
This could be quite the conglomerate of businesses if not for the fact that its all going on in one small parking lot.
What leads me to give the place one star though, is that the main reason i needed a hotel room for several nights was to have a place to sleep away from home. Well, THAT was impossible. Because they have no means of monitoring their Hordes of screaming drunks after they get them all sloshed down at the casino! Its admirable that they try to keep them off of the highways after imbibing a dozen drinks, but for those of us who don't need to hear their Impromptu Karaoke at all hours of the night while they scream out each others name (as though they cant see each other thru Beer-Goggles) it sort of defeats the purpose of getting to sleep. Ergo, the one star.
If it was actually possible to simply get some sleep on this trip, i'd have given them a somewhat higher rating, but i didnt come here to monitor the post Game-Losing soccer team of the Mental Midget League after they drown their sorrows in cheap Cervesas at the Hotel Watering Hole. I didn't waltz into their drunken Pitty-Party and demand to have a quiet moment while they try to read the words under the bouncing ball of their Karaoke Machine.....i wish they'd have chosen to sing at the top of their lungs in the bar and casino and not parading up and down the hallways, serenading the sleeping guests. Perhaps the casino could have booked them as a side Freak Show.
Anyway, when a business like this tries too hard to make money at the expense of quality, it becomes painfully obvious to all. Business travelers are looking for one thing, drunken footballers, a different thing, and 6 businesses under the same roof, all vying for the same parking spaces, well, maybe you just have to experience it for yourself.
If they ever sell stock at an IPO, im definitely going to buy some, because THIS Wyndham knows how to stuff 10 pounds of sausage into a 5 pound bag. Unfortunately, it sounds like an uncomfortable bag to be IN! Cough, gag, wheeze!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Mark N

Dear Guest,

Thank for taking the time to write your opinion regarding your stay. I am surprised that the staff which you indicated was friendly and helpful did not take action when they received your call with regard to the disturbances in the hall out side your room.

As you mentioned we try to meet the needs of each an every one of our guests. It is a pity that some people took partying to an extreme. I can understand why a person looking for peace and quite would be upset with this situation. However, I am sure we could have resolved the situation if you had notified the fron desk.

Regarding your coment about parking, perhaps, you only saw our parking lot by the main entrance. I can assure you that we have another parking lot for over 600 vehicles behind the main building.

We hope that if you have the opportunity to stay with us again that you will not run into any of the issues.