Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
US$92
El Rodeo Estancia Boutique Hotel & Steakhouse(San Antonio De Belen)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$73
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose(San Antonio De Belen)
US$253
  • Pool
US$189
  • Pool
City Express San Jose Costa Rica(San Antonio De Belen)(Great Value!)
US$81
US$102
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
  • Spa
US$76
US$71
Apartotel Obelisco(San Antonio De Belen)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,088 results
All reviewsjapanese restauranthard rock cafesan josecosta ricaclose to the airportfree shuttlebreakfast buffetshopping mallswim up barsmall casinolobby areacoffee makergift shopan early flightinternational airportpoolsquattro
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I think looking at other reviews that the hotel has different blocks and that I was in the modern block, with a nice room overlooking the very pleasant and ttractive pool area. A colleague in the older block was not so happy. So insist on a room close to the restaurant/pool area.

The welcome (in English) was good, service friendly and efficient, room very nice (and clean and mould-free), restaurants reasonable though the food in the main restaurant was acceptable rather than good. Good Japanese restaurant. All hotels should offer free internet in rooms and throughout the hotel, one of my main concerns as I travel mainly for work, and this one does; well done – and shame on those hotels, including many big chains who still rip us off so disgracefully.

My room was joined to the next one by a door and I could hear my neighbour’s television. That would have disturbed me if I didn’t always travel with earplugs. Apart from that a good experience, lovely pool area, and at $115 I’d say good value. But it is near the airport; very convenient for me as I was working but 30 to 45 minutes from the centre not perfect for tourists I would imagine.

In one sentence: I enjoyed my stay and would go again.

Room Tip: This rating scale is unhelpful; I need a "good" rating between average and "very good". Most of my "very good" ratings should read "good". Perhaps the site owners could fix the scale (still needs a midpoint)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel's infrastructure is good. I realized from reading several reviews that all rooms are not created equal! My room was small but adequate, clean sheets and towels, bur was in need of an upgrade. The grounds are beautiful
Colleagues of mine got a much bigger room with more amenities
The free breakfast is a plus, but don't get too excited! It's the SAME thing each day. More thought could go into choices. The choices of cheese and ham for example, are low quality

The plus is there is good strong wifi in the entire hotel and the conference facilities were good.
The staff was efficient and helpful

Overall the stay was pleasant

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear guest,

It was good to receive your message and the comments therein. Our hotel offers several different rooms categories, therefore I am unable to comment on the differences you noticed between your room and that of your colleagues, because i am not aware of the reservations which were made.

I will definite talk to the food and beverage manager althogh, I know that he makes every effort to maintain the quality and variety offered at our breakfast buffets.

Sould you have another opportunity to visit Costa Rica we shall look forward to seeing you again.

Regards,

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights and have to say the stay was average. I enjoyed most of the services in the hotel. The room was acceptable although a bit old and ran down. The bed was comfortable. The hotel buffet breakfast was very basic and repetitive every morning. The hotel location is not the best. The main road in front between the airport and San Jose is busy most of the day. If you stay here need to plan very well your time to get to meetings if they are not held at the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Your letter and comments were appreciated. Please note that for the past two years we have been slowly renovating our hotel in order to cause as little discomfort to our guests as possible, while trying to ensure that these same guests will apprecite the improvements. Therefore, there are still some rooms which need to be worked on. We hope when you have an opportunity to visit us again you will benefit from these renovations.

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Like many travellers, we stayed here on our way to the airport. After 8 nights in somewhat rustic conditions, I thought we would splurge for a little luxury on our last night. What we got was very little luxury indeed.

The hotel has invested substantially in the common areas, with a lovely lobby, grounds, etc. The room we stayed in, however, has not received the same attention and is in need of an update. The room we stayed in had low ceilings and concrete walls and was below grade - yes, it was a basement room. The windows, AC and bathroom appear to be original from the hotel's construction in 1975. The whirlpool tub was old and the jets yellowed with age. The furniture and paint were in good condition and of good quality.

The first room they put us in had a strong odor of mildew. We called to complain and they first said they had no rooms, then agreed to move us. A few minutes later we heard voices a few rooms over, then two hotel staff came to move us a few doors down. The new room was filled with a fog of Febreeze. When the stench of the deodorizer cleared, the new room was better, though there was still a strong mildew odor in the bathroom area.

We ate at the Japanese restaurant - the food was mixed, with some outstanding items and some that missed the mark. It was fairly pricey, but not unexpected for the setting.

I was frustrated with the free shuttle service, which was a significant factor in our decision to stay at this hotel. On check-in, we learned that the shuttle starts running at 5am, and our flight required us to be at the airport at 4:30, so they told us we would have to take a cab. The cab ride was $15. We have stayed in much cheaper hotels with better and more flexible service.

Bottom line, next time I would choose something different. Maybe the (even) pricier rooms are nicer, but for me there is a limit. I was reminded that for me, paying for the name brand hotels in Costa Rica is generally a mistake. There is almost always something offered by Costa Ricans that is better, cheaper, friendlier, and certainly more interesting. If you're not like me and you're really wanting to pay more to get the standardized US-style experience, don't expect the same level of quality for the price as you would at home.

Room Tip: the 1100 series is not the 11th floor but the basement. Avoid!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We apprecite your comments. Please note tha you are absolutely right, we have been working on the renovations of the common areas of the hotel for quite a while.

However, we have also being renovating the rooms which is must be a very slow process in order to inconvenience our guests as little as possible. As in all renovations the work must be done carefully and this takes time.

Hopefully on your next visit you will be able to enjoy one of our newly renovated rooms.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed for two nights before returning to the U.S. The hotel overall was fine. Very beautiful and well kept grounds. The staff (with a few exceptions) were all very couteous and professional. Food was lovely, but a little pricy. For example, there was no menu for lunch, just a $20 per person buffet. Breakfast was rather good and was included. The sports bar was nice too. For lunch and dinner one night we opted to go to the Hard Rock Cafe (right in front of the hotel.). Anyway, a souce of frustration was the television in our room. Either the TV was bad or the connection was bad. We reported this after we checked in. At first nobody came. Tried again two hours later and then a maintenance man came. He did not even enter our room to look at the TV. He simple said " I know what the problem is" and left. We went out, then came back, now early evening. No fix. I thought this is strange. I have been in hotels before where the TV went out and usually, the TV gets replaced or they fix the wiring. Called the front desk again. The same maintenance man came again asking what the problem was (huh?). This time I asked him to please look. He said he would be right back. He didn't. Next morning, no fix, no maintenance man. We left the hotel to go see downtown San Jose (lovely visit). After we returned, TV not fixed. Wife asked to speak to the manager. We were told he was at lunch and would see us later. That evening (must have been a really big lunch), he stopped by our room. Offered to move us to another room. Since we were departing in the morning, we could not. We are not complainers. We are really not. It was just odd. The manager did not seem to have control of his mysterious maintenance man. Anyway, if you can find another airport hotel without the pricey food and a mysterious maintenance man or a tardy manager, I would say stay there. Cheers.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank youvery much for your message and feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the grounds and that your experience with our staff was generally very pleasant. We would like to apologies for the difficulties that you had with the TV and the repair man.

Obviously, it would have been more satisfactory if our general manager could had visited you earlier. However, his schedule made that impossible. It is a shame that you were unable to take advantage of the new room that he offered you.

SInce you were departing the next morning, I can understand why you were reluctant to change rooms for only a few a hours. I have contacted the General Manager, we are sure that this type of situation will not arise again.

We hope that we will have the plesure of seeing you again on your next trip.

Your sincerely,