“Make sure you stay in the tower!”

Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed here on two separate occasions ....at the beginning of our trip and end of our trip in Costa Rica. The first night we were placed on the main floor in what could possibly have been the loudest room and worst night I have ever experienced in my life in a hotel. The room smelled musty and as mentioned the noise was unbelievable. When we conveyed this to the staff, they assured us that on our return we would be placed in the tower and it would be a completely different experience... and so it was. The rooms were delightful and we slept like babies. We booked our rooms through Expedia and I'm not sure if the first room was in the "Expedia Hallway" or not but we certainly were happy with our subsequent room. The pool is great. Also very close to the airport and van service provided.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room in the tower!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your message. It is unfortunate that you had a difficult situation on you first visit to our hotel. However, I am pleased that our staff listen to your comments and result the situation when you returned.

I hope to see you again in the future.

Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I booked 3 rooms for my family of 9 for one night before a 7am flight back to the states. Rooms are typical wyndham quality I'm used to in the US. The hotel has 4 beautiful pools which provided a nice place to relax and let the kids play for the afternoon. Several restaurant options nearby, including an argentine churrasceria. We also chose this hotel based on proximity to the LDS temple (Mormon) which we visited, only a short cab ride. Airport shuttle was on time, 10-15 min ride to SJO, no issues on early morning departure. Hotel staff are friendly, professional, bilingual, with overall duplication of Wyndham quality in US. I'd stay here again for an SJO arrival or departure.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us. It is always a pleasure to hear that our hotel is up to the standards of any Wyndham hotel in the US. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here for a conference. I had a very good room though it seems that there are varying grades of rooms. Conference facilities were good. Internet good. My only complaint was the food. The breakfast was mediocre and repetitive. As was the food at the conference. There is a Japanese restaurant on site which is good - and there are other restaurants on site which I did not go to.

Dear Guest,

We have received your message and apprecite your comments. I am surprised that you found the breakfast repetitive since it is a buffet, which offers quite a variety of different options. Each of the conference organisers are in charge of choosing the menus for each meal that was served. Perhaps, you could mention to those concerned the fact that you would prefer more alternatives.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I think looking at other reviews that the hotel has different blocks and that I was in the modern block, with a nice room overlooking the very pleasant and ttractive pool area. A colleague in the older block was not so happy. So insist on a room close to the restaurant/pool area.

The welcome (in English) was good, service friendly and efficient, room very nice (and clean and mould-free), restaurants reasonable though the food in the main restaurant was acceptable rather than good. Good Japanese restaurant. All hotels should offer free internet in rooms and throughout the hotel, one of my main concerns as I travel mainly for work, and this one does; well done – and shame on those hotels, including many big chains who still rip us off so disgracefully.

My room was joined to the next one by a door and I could hear my neighbour’s television. That would have disturbed me if I didn’t always travel with earplugs. Apart from that a good experience, lovely pool area, and at $115 I’d say good value. But it is near the airport; very convenient for me as I was working but 30 to 45 minutes from the centre not perfect for tourists I would imagine.

In one sentence: I enjoyed my stay and would go again.

Room Tip: This rating scale is unhelpful; I need a "good" rating between average and "very good...
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel's infrastructure is good. I realized from reading several reviews that all rooms are not created equal! My room was small but adequate, clean sheets and towels, bur was in need of an upgrade. The grounds are beautiful
Colleagues of mine got a much bigger room with more amenities
The free breakfast is a plus, but don't get too excited! It's the SAME thing each day. More thought could go into choices. The choices of cheese and ham for example, are low quality

The plus is there is good strong wifi in the entire hotel and the conference facilities were good.
The staff was efficient and helpful

Overall the stay was pleasant

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

It was good to receive your message and the comments therein. Our hotel offers several different rooms categories, therefore I am unable to comment on the differences you noticed between your room and that of your colleagues, because i am not aware of the reservations which were made.

I will definite talk to the food and beverage manager althogh, I know that he makes every effort to maintain the quality and variety offered at our breakfast buffets.

Sould you have another opportunity to visit Costa Rica we shall look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights and have to say the stay was average. I enjoyed most of the services in the hotel. The room was acceptable although a bit old and ran down. The bed was comfortable. The hotel buffet breakfast was very basic and repetitive every morning. The hotel location is not the best. The main road in front between the airport and San Jose is busy most of the day. If you stay here need to plan very well your time to get to meetings if they are not held at the hotel.

Dear Guest,

Your letter and comments were appreciated. Please note that for the past two years we have been slowly renovating our hotel in order to cause as little discomfort to our guests as possible, while trying to ensure that these same guests will apprecite the improvements. Therefore, there are still some rooms which need to be worked on. We hope when you have an opportunity to visit us again you will benefit from these renovations.

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Like many travellers, we stayed here on our way to the airport. After 8 nights in somewhat rustic conditions, I thought we would splurge for a little luxury on our last night. What we got was very little luxury indeed.

The hotel has invested substantially in the common areas, with a lovely lobby, grounds, etc. The room we stayed in, however, has not received the same attention and is in need of an update. The room we stayed in had low ceilings and concrete walls and was below grade - yes, it was a basement room. The windows, AC and bathroom appear to be original from the hotel's construction in 1975. The whirlpool tub was old and the jets yellowed with age. The furniture and paint were in good condition and of good quality.

The first room they put us in had a strong odor of mildew. We called to complain and they first said they had no rooms, then agreed to move us. A few minutes later we heard voices a few rooms over, then two hotel staff came to move us a few doors down. The new room was filled with a fog of Febreeze. When the stench of the deodorizer cleared, the new room was better, though there was still a strong mildew odor in the bathroom area.

We ate at the Japanese restaurant - the food was mixed, with some outstanding items and some that missed the mark. It was fairly pricey, but not unexpected for the setting.

I was frustrated with the free shuttle service, which was a significant factor in our decision to stay at this hotel. On check-in, we learned that the shuttle starts running at 5am, and our flight required us to be at the airport at 4:30, so they told us we would have to take a cab. The cab ride was $15. We have stayed in much cheaper hotels with better and more flexible service.

Bottom line, next time I would choose something different. Maybe the (even) pricier rooms are nicer, but for me there is a limit. I was reminded that for me, paying for the name brand hotels in Costa Rica is generally a mistake. There is almost always something offered by Costa Ricans that is better, cheaper, friendlier, and certainly more interesting. If you're not like me and you're really wanting to pay more to get the standardized US-style experience, don't expect the same level of quality for the price as you would at home.

Room Tip: the 1100 series is not the 11th floor but the basement. Avoid!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We apprecite your comments. Please note tha you are absolutely right, we have been working on the renovations of the common areas of the hotel for quite a while.

However, we have also being renovating the rooms which is must be a very slow process in order to inconvenience our guests as little as possible. As in all renovations the work must be done carefully and this takes time.

Hopefully on your next visit you will be able to enjoy one of our newly renovated rooms.

Warmest regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
1 mi away
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, San Jose Aeropuerto, Costa Rica
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson...
#4 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Holiday Inn Express San Jose Airport
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela

Been to Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!