“This is a Marriott????”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Beach, New York
“This is a Marriott????”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I guess I'm used to staying at the courtyard Marriott’s, so I was EXTEMELY surprised by my visit here, but from others who have stayed in the area at very high profile resorts, wished they stayed here instead. Where do I start?!?!?!..the convenience from the airport (San Jose) to here was quite impressive (only 10 minutes). The staff and service, 5 star, overly accommodating and friendly. The grounds, immaculate (great 1 mile run on the path and beautiful gym). The room, we stayed on the top floor overlooking the pool, and waking up every morning to the beautiful mountains was breathless, especially with our Juliette terrace, our room was 610. Spa was amazing. Such an open and inviting resort, loved how the hotel wasn't enclosed, you always felt like you were at an outdoor palace. If I had to give anything negative it would be that the pool was cold. I'm used to heated pools and would have preferred at least one of the pools to be heated, but if that's my biggest complaint, how can you complain?!?!?! This was a business trip for me, and I chose to stay there to piggy back on pleasure, and I’m glad I didn’t switch resorts for my personal vacation. Had such a nice mix of family, singles, and business folks that it made it the perfect choice! Stay here and you won't be disappointed, i know many others who have stayed in other resorts in the area and were VERY disappointed.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the pool. I know a lot love the ground floor as you have a patio
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Suzie:

Your enthusiasm in sharing your experiences and how much you did enjoyed the magnificent views of the mountain range, your room featuring spacious and luxurious accommodations; it is really contagious and enviable.

It is clear to me, that you got a direct connection in harmony with all the gifts of nature that this privilege country has to offer you for your full enjoyment and relaxation. Our facilities won’t mean anything, without special guests like you. Yes, we provide you with a genuine spirit to serve, but you are the real and unique reason for us to keep up with our good work.

Hopefully, in a near future we will have the pleasure to have you back in our hotel!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Hallandale Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have had the pleasure and privilege of staying at this magnificent hotel before but this
time wanted to compliment several employees that we had the pleasure of meeting and
dealing with on this trip, during "Semana-Santa" weekend. While EVERYONE who works
at this hotel is friendly and accommodating, on this trip we spent a good many days sitting
out by the pool and two of the pool attendants, namely Minor and Erick were just so attentive
that we felt they definitely should be commended in our review this time. Steve, a bar tender
and waiter at the lovely Antigua Restaurant on the first level is another "jewel." He is always
smiling and ready to do anything he can to make certain you are satisfied with your meal
and your drinks. "Billy" at the Cafe Britt is just phenomenal - talk about a "gourmet chef" -
Billy fixed our breakfast for us every single morning and I just can't say enough about how
delicious all of his breakfast creations were along with his personal service to make certain
we were totally happy with the fantastic French Toast, the many Omellettes he created
especially for me every morning, the Bagels and Cream Cheese - just amazing! We sure hope
we find Billy still at the Britt's Cafe on our next visit to this beautiful Marriott. And last, but
certainly not least, is Andrea at the Front Desk who made our check in this time, so easy and
pleasurable and then each and every time we returned to the Check-In Desk with a question,
she was right there, ready willing, and able to help. Again, I am sure I have said this before,
but will say it again - there just isn't any other hotel in or around the San Jose area that I
would rather stay in, than this gorgeous Marriott in San Antonio De Belen.

Room Tip: The higher floors have the best views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Jinglegirl:

I think we are the privileged ones on having you back, and be able to create a memorable stay in such a way that you enjoyed our associate’s devotion to the art of hosting. Every little detail that you have mentioned on this review, about our friendly staff and how they always go one step ahead in order to make you feel home and warmly welcome, also make me realize that we are lucky as well to have them as part of our team.

Just, imaging those delicious Omelets, French toast accompanied with a recently brewed fresh coffee, make me hungry and transfer myself to the beautiful gardens that surround the outdoors terrace at our casual Casa Del Café, at the same time you get to enjoy the variety of happy birds signing and flying around.

Fortunately, you came at the right time of the year, for summer, in Costa Rica it is well known as dried season, so you could enjoy the beautiful views of the Central Valley by the pool.

I just can’t wait to meet you personally on your next coming vacation and be able to have the honor to keep providing you with an exceptional service and exceed on each trip your expectations.

Port St. Lucie, Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel is one of those rare finds that exceeds expectations. I have traveled to Costa Rica many times and have been a loyal Marriott member for years but have never stayed in San Jose until this week. Now, I know that there is an elegant- yes, elegant, estate like resort hotel five minutes from the airport with rich dark wood furnishings, and all the amenities of a five star American Hotel. With a restaurant equal to anything in San Jose, or Miami or New York, it's a perfect venue before or after a trip to Costa without rushing to or from the airport.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the hill side city lights.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Walshtjw
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
It's flattering to know that our efforts to always provide quality service to our customers is highly appreciated by a special guest as you are for us.

Marriott is honored to be able to have such a loyal customer like you for so many years , that keeps us striving to improve every day and exceed your expectations.

Isn't wonderfull the view of the hills from your room at night? What a perfect view before go to bed and have a pleasant sleep.

On your next visit to San Jose your may consider to take a one day tour to the butterfly gardens , the coffee plantations , or enjoy the towering volcanoes and beaches to only an hour from our hotel.

After this unforgettable experience we would like to welcome you to our Antigua restaurant to offer that service quality and delicious international food that you already tasted.

We look forward to have you back soon and have the privilege to host you once again.

San Ramon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Beautiful hotel. Rooms, grounds, restaurants, pool, etc. was great. 5 minutes away from San Jose International Airport. For an airport hotel, we were surprised there was no free airport shuttle. Then, we were told there are taxi's at the lobby which could take us. They are there 24 hours a day so no problem getting a taxi. However, we were shocked it costs $15 to the airport. It was a 5 minute ride!!! What a rip off. I was offended by the hotel 1) not having a airport shuttle, then providing the only option which was a total rip off.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
It's flattering that you enjoyed our hotel that way , it is unique in its kind in Costa Rica . The gardens surrounding the property give that magic that transports you to a place of dreams.

Our hotel is located just minutes from the city of San Jose and a few kilometers from the Juan Santa Maria International Airport , this property is considered an oasis of tranquility in the city .

For your next visit we would love to assist you making transportation arrangements according to your needs.

We look forward to exceed your expectations on your next visit. We value your business and preference.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We were there as part of a 9 day Caravan Bus tour of Costa Rica. Their food is excellent; they have a great fitness area; the staff is very friendly; they're about 5 minutes from the Mall, where you can get anything under the sun. The architecture of the hotel is stunning & contemporary. I seldom go to a spa, but I had a tour discount, so I decided to try it. You should too!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Tom:

I am wondering how many pictures you will have taken, how many amazing landscapes you did contemplated from this blessed land by its endless natural resources.

Our cuisine is characterized by its mixture of tropical fruits as coconut, guava and mango, I hope you have fully enjoyed this exquisite explosion of flavors, combined with the cozy and intimate atmosphere of La Isabela featuring Peruvian delicacies.

I am glad, you decided to pamper yourself and visit the Kuö Spa, Kuö means skin in the Costa Rican ancient and little known indigenous language Cabecar. Skin of the body, bark of a tree, earth’s crust and also speaks of the coffee bean and the process it goes through to get rid of its skin and obtain its precious fruit.

So for your next vacation, now you know where to go. Here at the Costa Rica Marriott, it is always a special place reserved for you.

new york city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We began and ended our trip to Costa Rica at this excellent Marriott facility close to the airport. We had a late evening arrival time and didn't want to hit the roads after dark, so we booked ahead to spend the night at the hotel. From start to finish, the service at the reception, the light meal at the bar and the quality of the room were all excellent. Even the buffet breakfast with and omelet station was great. We had an early flight leaving 9 days later, and stayed another night with the same experiences. We were even able to pick up and drop of our rental car at the hotel, since they have a National car rental office on site, and parking is free.

Room Tip: We were facing the tennis courts which stay lighted until 10 PM. Not a problem for us, but others m...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A G
Dear Joknecht:

Wow, how nice it feels to be part of your trip planning to Costa Rica; it is really very flattering to know that you had our hotel as your first choice to start and ended your journey through this beautiful country.
I could see you did enjoy our service, meals and facilities, these commits us to give every day the best of us in pursuit of excellence.
We hope to have the good fortune of having you in our hotel again and to be able to be for you exceptional hosts.

CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

This was a very nice hotel and is absolutely beautiful, however it is located away from everything so if you want to walk to local restaurants and such, this is not the place to stay. However they do have local taxi service available at all times. The pool area was very nice. The gym was nicely appointed and they had a running trail around the hotel, which I found very useful, given I did not know the area well enough to venture out for a run. They had a really nice spa, but I did not get the opportunity to utilize it. We did eat their breakfast buffet every morning, which had a very good selection, although it did not change on a daily basis but there was enough to chose from that you could vary what you have if you like.

The staff was nice, but not as friendly as the Doubletree hotel. I think just because of the size of this hotel it has more of a typical hotel feel, but some people prefer that. I did not have any trouble with the service. Actually would like to call out Carlos, one of the bellman as being someone I do remember and who went out of his way to make us feel welcome.

The restaurant/bar served good food and nice drinks. I would stay here again if I get the opportunity, especially at my company rate. Not sure I would pay the going rate as it is a bit pricy.

Room Tip: The higher up you go the better view you have. Any room is good though as you sit off the road far...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Brabsct:

It is very delightful to read your nice comments about how much you did enjoy our facilities, the gym, the walking trails all surrounded by such a beautiful green gardens, all you could hear is the win whisper and the singing of the birds. In our property you will get in perfect harmony with, other Nature, here you find a retreat for your mind, away from the hustle and bustle of the crowd.

Fortunately, we have nice restaurants nearby the area, located some at 15 to 45 minutes away the hotel. As well, we offer you here at the hotel four different choices to treat yourself: Antigua Restaurant, La Isabela Peruvian Restaurant, Bar La Castilla and Casa del Café.

As you mentioned, we offer as well 24 hours taxi service, for your next visit we could provide you with our Concierge assistance to recommend you or book reservation in the restaurant of your preference.

I will make sure, to share with Carlos, your nice comments, I am absolutely sure that he will highly appreciate them as we appreciate your time and kindness to share with us your experiences at our hotel.

I hope in a not too distant future having you as one of our In House Guests to be able to pamper and grant you a service of excellence as you deserve it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Antonio De Belen
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 9 in San Antonio De Belen
Adventure Inn
#4 of 85 in San Jose
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,355 reviews
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!