We really enjoyed our time at Selva Verde Lodge. We came with the hope of seeing a lot of wildlife, and we weren't disappointed. We did several of the hikes offered here including the early morning birding, the primary forest, and a cool night hike. We saw toucans, aracaris, lots of poison dart frogs, howler monkeys, a coral snake, and even a kinkajou which was a first for us. Our guide was excellent and spotted a lot of wildlife we would have missed on our own.
The lodge is located off a busy road, but if you request a room by the river like we did you will really feel like you're in the jungle. The system of covered walkways is great for keeping you dry in the case of rain.
There are two options for dining here - the buffet plan and the a la carte restaurant. The buffet food was fine, filling, but nothing amazing, but we were really impressed with the La Terrazza restaurant where you could order off the menu for dinner. They have their own wood-fired pizza oven, and the bacon pizza was delicious, especially paired with a bottle of Imperial. Great drinks here as well. I had a mango, lime, and rum concoction that was fantastic. Dining by candlelight next to the river was so enjoyable and relaxing. All of the staff were very friendly. Our waiter even called us over one night to show us the red-eyed tree frogs by the little pond. The owner came over to speak to us one night and to thank us for supporting the property. It's clear that they care very much about their clients, their property, and protecting the rain forest. The rooms are basic, but comfortable. There are some bungalows with air conditioning, but those are across the road and fairly far from things, so we were happy with our little river room. It cooled off enough at night to be comfortable.
If you're a wildlife lover, you would enjoy staying here. Do not miss a day trip to La Selva which is also in the area and offers even more chances to see wildlife in its natural habitat. Two or three nights in this area is perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selva Verde is more than a lodge and more than a rainforest reserve. It is your gateway into a magical world of towering Almendro trees, Mantled Howler Monkeys, and Keel Billed Toucans. Immerse yourself in tropical nature as you hike through deep green forest or reflect quietly in a comfortable hammock. Discover something new as you encounter Selva Verde's amazing wildlife and vibrant people. Rekindle your sense of wonder and experience the out-of-the-ordinary. Experience Selva Verde! Located just 2 hours from San Jose, Selva Verde provides easy access to the wonders of the rainforest. For over 30 years, we have been a haven for nature enthusiasts from around the world. Our abundant biodiversity, comfortable rainforest lodge, and exciting activities are ideal for adventure seekers, bird and wildlife watchers, students, and families. Come explore Selva Verde's 500 acres of vibrant tropical nature in the heart of Costa Rica's Sarapiqui Canton. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your Selva Verde Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Selva Verde Hotel Sarapiqui
- Selva Verde Lodge Costa Rica/Sarapiqui