We thoroughly enjoyed the abundant wildlife at Selva Verde. The lodge itself was a mixed bag. The pros: the fabulous resident naturalist, Alexander; the lush, beautiful grounds; the commitment to conservation; the naturalist guided tours; and the friendly staff at the bar & downstairs restaurant. The cons: the buffet food which is mediocre and the rooms which really need updating. I don't mind a very basic room but the beds & bedding seemed worn and a bit grungy. Most nights there was a cool breeze blowing in through the screened windows making for comfortable sleeping. The one big negative that stuck with me: the lodge charged us $45 for transportation 10-15 minutes down the road to La Selva Biological Reserve. Other transportation arranged by the lodge was equally expensive. I've traveled around Costa Rica before without a car and have never had a lodge gouge me like that. It left me with a feeling of being ripped off. Despite that, I'm still giving a 4-star review because the wildlife, Alexander, and other kind staff made the experience worthwhile.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selva Verde is more than a lodge and more than a rainforest reserve. It is your gateway into a magical world of towering Almendro trees, Mantled Howler Monkeys, and Keel Billed Toucans. Immerse yourself in tropical nature as you hike through deep green forest or reflect quietly in a comfortable hammock. Discover something new as you encounter Selva Verde's amazing wildlife and vibrant people. Rekindle your sense of wonder and experience the out-of-the-ordinary. Experience Selva Verde! Located just 2 hours from San Jose, Selva Verde provides easy access to the wonders of the rainforest. For over 30 years, we have been a haven for nature enthusiasts from around the world. Our abundant biodiversity, comfortable rainforest lodge, and exciting activities are ideal for adventure seekers, bird and wildlife watchers, students, and families. Come explore Selva Verde's 500 acres of vibrant tropical nature in the heart of Costa Rica's Sarapiqui Canton. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Selva Verde Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Selva Verde Hotel Sarapiqui
- Selva Verde Lodge Costa Rica/Sarapiqui