“Seafood Rice is Great!”

Chao's Paradise
Ranked #26 of 58 Restaurants in Cahuita
Cuisines: Caribbean, Costa Rican, Seafood, South American
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Riverside, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Seafood Rice is Great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

The view of the ocean is wonderful. We loved their Seafood Rice and home made hot sauce. The hot sauce was in a community jar that every one used. In the US this would be a problem. But if you are that finicky then you probably shouldn't have stopped in Cahuita. Good amount of food for the price. Service was great. Loved the Caiprinha drink. Went here 2 time; great food & service both times. I am confused at the prior negative reviews.

We dream about the seafood rice now that we are back here in USA...don't snooze on this dish!

• Visited September 2013

Rimbey, Canada
“He is very expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We ate here twice. The first time was our first night at Black Beach and he was close and only the 2nd time because I was able to get a Lobster. The food was mediocre and high priced. The place was always almost empty other than when the Reggae Bar was closed. The service was good so I can't knock that. But we didn't like paying more for a Lobster than we do back in Canada.

Visited March 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
“Try elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Food was ok. Should be more flavourful. We had the Red Snapper and for the price the portion was small therefore the value simply was not there. On top of that, when I paid with US dollars they gave me a poor exchange rate resulting in a further $4 to $5 cost.

• Visited March 2014
“Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

As a beach hut style cafe Chao's is ok, but probably not a "paradise" and you could probably do better. Portions are generous, food was quite tasty but service was too fast for it to be fresh - (my first thought was chicken or fish in a massive vat of sauce waiting to be served) in fact when asked, the waiter told us that all of the seafood is frozen and brought from the pacific. Stick with local beer and don't bother ordering wine (my mistake in a place like this to be honest!)

I personally wouldn't bother recommending this place but as my other half said to me, this is just a cheap and cheerful, laidback, down-to-earth Caribbean beach hut...do i really expect amazing wine, service and food everywhere we go...? Yes - my expectations are possibly often too high but given the other places we found in Costa Rica, not unfairly so!

• Visited January 2014
Orange, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Laid back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We always stay at Atlantida Lodge and chao's is just down the road, so we try to make it for at least one meal during our frequent trips to Cahuita. Mr. Chao is usually there, laying in the hammock and sometimes smoking a doobie. You can no longer smoke cigarettes in restaurants (gov't regulations) but I bet Mr. Chao won't have a problem with it! The food is delicious, and the service is good. I don't know the waiters name, but he has been there for years. It is right next to the Reggae bar, so you can stop by thee and have a drink and listen to some music after your meal.

Visited March 2013