“Thank you Yvonne and Thomas - Unforgettable Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Alby Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cahuita
Alby Lodge
London, United Kingdom
“Thank you Yvonne and Thomas – Unforgettable Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

Alby Lodge is an oasis of peace and quiet. Situated in beautiful garden of tropical vegetation and lots of wildlife it was a perfect one week (December 2012) of relaxation for someone trying to escape from stress of daily life. The cabins are built of wood with thatched roofs perfectly in tune with the nature and surroundings. They are clean, comfortable with room safe, mosquito nets, hot shower, fan (more than sufficient) and hammock. You will need some mosquito repellent for early evenings. Few steps from my cabin there was well equipped shared kitchen with fridge, drinks and home grown bananas for guest use (in season). It was far enough so that town noises did not reach the Lodge and yet only 5-10 min on foot from the entrance to Cahuita National Park, beautiful beach, restaurants, bus station, Bank ATM, chemist, laundry service, tour services and all manner of shops (souvenirs, books and most other essentials). Everyone I met in town was helpful and friendly and I felt safe there.
The grounds and wildlife at Alby Lodge are amazing. Every day I woke up to a choir of howler monkeys and later I could watch capuchin monkeys playing around while I was having breakfast. There were sloths, squirrels, lizards, geckos, frogs, multitudes of different birds and the beautiful Morpho Peleides blue butterfly and there is plenty more to see in the National Parks.
Last but not least, Yvonne and Thomas were the perfect hosts – never intrusive, but always most helpful sharing their knowledge of the area and ensuring that I was happy and comfortable. I went on snorkeling tour, walks through Cahuita National Park and Manzanillo National Park, to Jaguar Rescue Center and Sloth Sanctuary (Avarios Del Caribe).
Before going to Costa Rica the only knowledge of the Atlantic Coast I had was from guidebooks but I feel very lucky to have chosen Cahuita and particularly Alby Lodge. If you truly want to experience Costa Rica, you will also love Alby Lodge and Cahuita! Once again thank you Yvonne and Thomas.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Elizabeth P

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

Pros: Alby lodge has some nice wooden cabins at the edge of the forest. Our cabin was clean and spacious, and came with a safety box and a ceiling fan. You wake up with the sounds of howler monkeys, it's situated in the middle of nature.
Cons: they don't serve breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Geographtraveller
Port Orford, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

Alby Lodge was perfect for our 2-1/2 week stay in Cahuita in Oct./Nov. It just doesn’t get any easier, more fun, or a better value. Yvonne and Thomas were the perfect hosts – never intrusive, but there when needed to keep us comfortable and happy. We arrived as guests, but left (with much sadness) as friends. If you truly want to experience Costa Rica, you’ll love Alby Lodge and Cahuita!

Our cabin was charming, clean, comfortable, and exactly right for the setting. The shared kitchen, refrigerator, drinks, fruits, hot showers, in-room safe, mosquito nets, room fans, hammock, wi-fi, and drinkable tap water were all used and greatly appreciated. We found the fan just right. We quickly adjusted to the sounds of the waves, geckos, frogs, crickets, and other critters at night. Noise from traffic, neighbors, and dogs was rare and never lasted long. Sometimes we’d use a bit of deet when sitting around early or late to keep mosquitoes off us, but that was it.

Alby Lodge is a leisurely 5-10 minute walk from a clean and beautiful beach (the water is wonderful, but be careful of rip currents), the park, restaurants, grocery store, the bus station, the bank with ATM, drug store, laundry service, tour services, and tourist shops with a good choice of tropical clothing (a $25 rayon dress became my favorite; cotton doesn’t dry), swim suits, guide books, souvenirs, hand-made jewelry and most essentials. We felt safe, welcomed, and were treated fairly by everyone we met.

The monkeys, birds, wildlife, and grounds at Alby Lodge are amazing. Every day the howler and capuchin monkeys came through, sometimes letting us watch them for hours. Howler monkeys calling at day break are the experience of a lifetime. Especially when they’re in the tree next to your cabin – absolutely amazing! In the early evening we watched hundreds of parrots noisily fly from their daytime feeding grounds to their night roosts, the bats emerge, and the nighthawks come out to feed. Right from Alby we saw sloths, vine snakes, tamandua (an anteater), crabs, basilisk lizards, geckos, anoles, frogs, and lots of birds, like: oropendolas, gorgeous tanagers, warblers, cuckoos, anis, parrots, vultures, rails, hummingbirds, and hermits. Everything about Alby Lodge & Cahuita let us watch, play, swim, hike, explore, and relax without driving anywhere.

Here’s what we learned about Cahuita. First thing, spend the $25 each and take a guided walk into the park (Yvonne recommended Peck, and he was perfect). Guides know what’s there and where to find it – like bright yellow eyelash vipers, tons of sloths, caimen, and iguana! Second, take binoculars and always carry them with you. You never know what you’ll see just going to town. Third, take or buy an umbrella. It’s great for a sun shade (the locals taught me that) and great when it rains (which can happen suddenly). If an umbrella’s not your style, light-weight ponchos are available in town.

We took a snorkeling boat trip, but waters were murky, so not ideal. I like to snorkel on my own, but didn’t find a safe, easy place close-by. In hindsight, I would have asked around more. The local bus is convenient and cheap (under $3.00 to Puerto Viejo and back), so getting other places is pretty easy. Ask for tips. Knowing some Spanish is helpful in Cahuita, but not essential. The local foods you should try are: patacones (fried plantains), jugos naturales (fresh fruit blended with ice or milk), and hial (a ginger and lemon drink) and homemade ice cream at the Crepe Café. Enjoy the local fruit, too. It's all wonderful.

So thank you to Yvonne & Thomas for sharing your little piece of paradise and for the many adventures, many laughs, and the birthday of a lifetime! We love and miss you. Hasta luego!

Room Tip: All of the cabins are alike and well placed.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Holly W
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

We spent 3 nights in ALBY lodge whilst visiting Cahuita National Park Splendid location.We found the lodge ideal for what we wanted, clean we kept with the added bonus of a full equiped kitchen & dining area at your disposal.The Lodges are all situated in beautiful gardens full of lovely flowers & wildlife.Its very close to town but very quiet.We felt very safe & secure there.There are only 4 lodges so suggest you book early.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Chatham, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

My stay at the lodge was peacefull, while I explored the sorrounding sightseeing areas.
There has been mention of theft and and unlawfull characters in the surronding area.
Not so to my experiences.
This can be said to be the fact in any parts of the world, including vacation resorts.
Travelers have to carefull.
To put everyone at ease, I had a once in a lifetime experience.
I inadvertently left my wallet while travelling on a local bus.
Containing my Visa and ~~ 300CND$ PANICK!!!!!! 10:30PM
Speaking no Spanish, Yvonne made a call to the bus depot of the bus next destination.
Was told to be at Cahuita bus terminal at 6:00AM, who sleep soundly .......
Went there the next morning, to the bus ID # Yvonne had given me and asked for the bus driver name which Yvonne furnished.
He handed me the wallet, and never opened, too embarrassed of my mistake.
He proded me to check it's contents, to my amazement, all intact Visa and ~~ 300CND$ RELIEF!!!! he was the bus driver the night before and had found it.
I offered him a reward, but he refused it, I'm sure his heart was FULL as was mine.

Moral of the Review is Abbey Lodge is a great vacation, protect your valuable, the proprietors are your best friend in time of need, Costa Ricans value honesty.
Thank the LORD!!

Ciao'

I am recommending this lodge to my Chatham-Kent Ontario Canada friends

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

We stayed 6 nights at Alby Lodge. The two owners were very nice and helpful, always around when needing something. The maid was coming every day to tidy up. There is a really well equipped Rancho, there is always beer, soft-drinks and water in the fridge, that you can buy for a reasonable price (approx. same as in the markets in town), free fruits (bananas and limes) up for grab. The owner was really helpful and was taking us to the bus-terminal when leaving. There is a safe where you can lock you stuff (we did not feel unsecure, but as there was the option to lock things, we took it).
Several times hawler- and capuccino-monkeys were passing the property, letting you keep in touch with them (feeding them a banana, etc.)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Zürich, Schweiz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

We spent two nights in this lovely place just next to the national park. Different to most other places, the Lodge is not fully enclosed with fences, but has three guarding dogs and on top a human guard as well.
The cabins are spread across the spacious park like garden with a variety of different trees. The central rancho is a fully equipped kitchen that can be used by the guests (incl. an italian espresso machine).
The fruits growing on the property are free for the guests.
Both Yvonne and Thomas were very nice and helpful.
WiFi is available, but the cabins furtherst away from the main building wont be covered (we were in cabin 2 and had only coverage on the porch).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Passion Fruit Lodge
Suizo Loco Lodge Hotel & Resort
Playa Negra Guesthouse
Playa Negra Guesthouse
#1 of 21 in Cahuita

Been to Alby Lodge? Share your experiences!