“Enchanting inn”

Ranked #10 of 21 Cahuita B&B and Inns
Farmington nc
“Enchanting inn”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

This was a magical place to stay. You walk in to an open air reception area where terry greets you with a warm, kind smile. Then Leda fixes you a delicious tropical drink. Her piña coladas were delicious but my favorite was the coconut water with rum. Yum! Terry fixed us dinner three times and we were never disappointed. My husband's steak au poivre was the best he's ever had. Her shrimp with a ginger sauce were to die for. Of course, being a horse person and Parelli fan my favorite part of the stay was riding with terry and her daughter. I was able to ride in the ocean on her fabulous paso fino, Shiloh. Oh my! We enjoyed walking down to the beach but our favorite beach was a short taxi ride to Cahuita national park. Stunning! We saw lots of howler monkeys and a very active sloth! Plenty of fun restaurants to choose from, all at Terry's suggestions. This is a very laid back place and was the favorite of our trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
staffordshire
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Finding Magallan Inn was a little bit of an adventure, but once you found it, it is a little bit of heaven after the dust and bumpy drive getting to it. The garden is beautiful, excotic and full with flowers, little animal and colourful birds, including the Parrot that liked to show off as soon as he got your attention. The room was clean comfortable and equipped with air-con and a ceiling fan. However, even though the bathroom was bid and clean, the shower head had a mind of its own, whenever you turned the taps on, you needed to wedge it with something to hold it in place (I should have reported it to reception, sorry.
Having said that, it didn't spoil our enjoyment and comfort and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great with fresh fruit and home made bread, yammmmmmmmmmm. Great coffee too. We did drive to twon for dinner as it would have too dark to walk back-not safe with all the pot holes.

Room Tip: Watch out for the legs of the beds tthat seem to stick out a bit and we did get a few bruises on our...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Canal Fulton
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

After spending 8 relaxing days at the Magellan Inn I can highly recommend this little slice of paradise. From the ambiance of the open air reception/ dining area to the crystal clear refreshing pool, comfortable beds with crisp linens changed daily, fresh flowers in the room and great attention to detail this place satiated all of my senses. The plentiful fruit and awesome coffee (served in individual coffe pots) had me looking forward to breakfast everyday. A few times I selected eggs from the menu and liked the scrambled eggs the best. Chico the Macaw loved performing tricks for the camera, make sure you applaud him when he finishes with a bow! The owner Terry and her daugher Eve went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and even whipped up something very special (complete with candles) for my friends birthday. Being a horse lover I was thrilled to find a few on premise and with permission was able to feed them my fruit rinds and pet them. they also did a great job of arranging all our transfers and setting up zip lining, snorkeling, and amazing horseback riding adventures. I hope to return again soon! P.S. Lita the receptionist was so sweet and speaks perfect English, and each room has it's own hammock!

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Palominogurl
Toronto
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Three of us stayed at this hotel for two nights in January, 2013. It was clean, had a nice pool and green surroundings. Pet parrots provided some entertainment too. However, despite these attributes, it was the worst hotel experience of our two weeks in Costa Rica. To accommodate the three of us, a very uncomfortable cot was added to an already small room. The cot would have been suitable for a young child but not for an adult. It was very difficult for us to move around in the room. Also, the shower head had a leak which drenched the whole bathroom floor. It was quite a mess. Weather was very hot and humid. We discovered that all the rooms except No. 1 and 2 had air conditioning. We were assigned No. 2. So our cooling was limited to an ineffective ceiling fan. As a final annoyance, unlike the other rooms, our room was not equipped with a hair dryer (we requested and were loaned one by the manager). Therefore, in the end, this hotel failed to provide us what we needed the most from it: comfort and a good sleep.

Room Tip: If you want air conditioning avoid Rooms #1 and #2. If there are three of you, inspect the extra be...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Mal Pais, Costa Rica
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Was fortunate to stay at the Magellan on our way to and from Panama. We had a wonderful king size bed with a delicious mattress and pillows. I floated to sleep each night in comfort. After travelling via car and boats for days on end, it was so nice to rest my bones on a comfortable mattress and assortment of pillows. Thank you for that alone! Our patio area was a great area to greet the morning and toast to another wonderful day at night. The beautiful garden brought different birds around the patio so we didn't have to go to far with binoculars to have some wonderful bird sightings. The grounds are lovely, spacious and very well maintained. Nice pool area to talk with guests and just view the jungle. The lovely and unexpected surprise was dinner at the restaurant. Please make an effort to spend one night in and dine with Terri and her daughter. The food was absolutely delicious and the ambiance was so nice. Beautiful music playing - not too loud and not too soft, soft candle light creating a relaxing glow and the conversations with Terri and her daughter just made the night perfect. AND you were a short walk back to your room..nice. Highly recommend the chef (Terri's) recommendations. The Inn is a nice place to unwind and just be..secluded and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Beautiful little hotel in Cahuita. Very welcoming. The rooms are clean and have hammocks in the front to relax.

Some downsides : There are a lot of animals here. Chickens and rooster (noisy during the night and early morning of course), we had a horse in the back of our room and dogs. I don't mind animals but sometimes I found them annoying and would have preferred the place without them. Especially around the kitchen area (dogs).

But the owner was very nice polite and the service was excellent. The place is also well kept so we had a very nice experience overall !

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Tring, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Wife and I stayed here for 6 nights. Magellan is nice, but I would say 6 nights may be a bit much. Magellan is not too hard to find, once you get off the main road its a short drive on the mud road, on your left hand side just before the t-junction.
The room is basic but clean. Coffee machine provided with nice local coffee (new coffee was provided all but one day). We stayed at the 'Air Conditioned Room'. I'd certainly recommend any room with extra fans/air con as the rooms can get understandably very humid however, I'm not sure I'd class the wall mounted air con unit as 'Air Conditioning'. Its more just an extra fan, its not particularly cold.
The Bathroom was the only slightly disappointing thing about the room, it felt a little aged and perhaps needed a little bit of a spruce up/re-grouting on tiles. Nothing major, I am being a little picky.
We had wifi included in room price..which was good because I was expecting to have to pay extra for the wifi (which i would have done). However, if you are given choice of paying for wifi or not, don't as the wifi signal does not stretch to the rooms and is only really accessible in the main reception/breakfast bar area. This is probably why it wasn't offered to us at an extra cost and as far as i'm aware it was free, which was great even if only available in the breakfast area.
Speaking of the breakfast area: Very nice, open plan place to relax and have a drink and get out of the room. Nicely decorated with nice view of the lovely garden. Only slightly negative things to say would be the smell of the big dog (there are a few of them, all lovely dogs but one is particularly smelly!). The staff (other than the owner) do not speak English, which makes it a little difficult if you want to order a drink or something, however, they are all very nice and will endeavor to help out and try understand what you are asking!
Breakfast is nice, although (and this goes back to what i was saying about not spending 6 nights) it is the same thing every day (fruit, bread and some very very very nice jam), after a few days i was hoping for something a little different.
The price of the hotel was extremely reasonable and although It sounds like I'm being negative in this review, I would say i don't mean to be, it was a lovely stay and for the price it was certainly worth it. Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
hotelmagellaninn, Owner at Magellan Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Hi,
This was a nice review, I just wanted to say that I am sorry if there were somethings that you were not happy about.
I was worried when you mentioned the a/c units, as they are new Frigidaire air conditioners and are actually bigger than needed for the room size. The rooms get freezing pretty quickly. As I couldn't understand your comment ,I went to check all the room units and everything seemed to be working fine. Maybe what happened is the control was preset and did not go down in temperature as it should. I apologize for this. If I had known, then I believe I could have done something about it. really sorry though.
It is true our everyday breakfasts are alway a glass or fresh organic fruit juice from the garden, a tropical plate of fresh organic fruit, 2 homemade bread rolls, one being wholewheat and the other white, coffee, tea or hot chocolate, 2 types of jams and butter. That is what is included in the price. We also offer extras of boiled, fried, scrambled eggs or omelets from our free range chickens, yogurt, cereals & croissants. We do not offer the Tico breakfast of rice & beans, as in general people get that everywhere and are looking for either a more American or European breakfast, which we try to provide.
For the language problem, I was trying to remember. Of course I speak, English, Spanish, French, German and a bit of Italian, Greek and Turkish. My receptionist also speaks English, Spanish and Italian. It was then I remembered, during your visit she was on vacation (before the Christmas season started) One of my cleaning ladies does understand English well and can also speak a little, but it is true the other 2 only speak Spanish, I am sorry about this. In general, when the receptionist is not here I am always close by and the cleaning ladies can always come to me if there is something needed to be translated.
I do appreciate your comments and take them to heart ,to always improve my hotel ,as I love it very much and enjoy meeting new guests, interesting people from everywhere, who travel and have interesting stories of their own.
Happy travels Terry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Hotel La Diosa
Suizo Loco Lodge Hotel & Resort
Atlantida Lodge
Atlantida Lodge
#7 of 13 in Cahuita

Been to Magellan Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!