“Quiet and peaceful”

Magellan Boutique Hotel
Ranked #9 of 21 Cahuita B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I travelled to Cahuita on work related matters and brought my family with me. We were received by the owner Terri who is a very pleasant and accommodating lady. We were housed in room number 6 and my mom in room 5.

The hotel was full of greenery and lushious foliage and had a farm like atmosphere. It was very quiet, clean, scenic peaceful and tucked away from busy city life. To my surprise there was a huge and tame dog called Roxy. At first I was a little worried about my two year old son who is not used to big dogs but we were alright. Roxy was only out in the mornings. There were also two parrots, one of which liked to give a show, two horses and a few chickens.

Breakfast was lots of fruits with the best hot home made bread I had tasted in a long time. The pool was good fun and my husband and son enjoyed their swim.

The shower and bathroom set up was different but workable.

Glad we had the opportunity to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Candice21_13

Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Terry at Magellan Inn runs a small hotel tucked away in the serenity and a short distance from the Cahuita national park.
The whole ambiance of the hotel is so comfortable. A place to chill or keep active with the various tours that Terry and her staff are happy to suggest and organize. While there indulge in a massage and walk round the corner to do yoga with Jo.

A walk away is the town of Cahuita and not to be missed is the Reggae bar and restaurant.

Highly recommend staying at the Magellan Inn Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I spent Easter week there last year and as a woman travelling alone found it to be the perfect place. My main goal in coming to CR was to go to the Sloth Sanctuary, but that only took up one of the 5 days I spent there. Every other second was spent enjoying the beautiful environment, proximity to the jungle, the beach and the beautiful pool. I am generally a late sleeper but each morning got up when it was still dark to enjoy seeing the place come alive! Just amazing!

The owner and staff were very welcoming and accomodating- helped me with taxis and suggested good little restaurants that I could walk to in under 5 minutes. I felt very safe in this area and experienced no hassles as a single traveller. It was the perfect retreat for me!

Room Tip: Since I have allergies I chose to pay the extra $10 for a room with AC and I was glad I did- and the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2013

This was a magical place to stay. You walk in to an open air reception area where terry greets you with a warm, kind smile. Then Leda fixes you a delicious tropical drink. Her piña coladas were delicious but my favorite was the coconut water with rum. Yum! Terry fixed us dinner three times and we were never disappointed. My husband's steak au poivre was the best he's ever had. Her shrimp with a ginger sauce were to die for. Of course, being a horse person and Parelli fan my favorite part of the stay was riding with terry and her daughter. I was able to ride in the ocean on her fabulous paso fino, Shiloh. Oh my! We enjoyed walking down to the beach but our favorite beach was a short taxi ride to Cahuita national park. Stunning! We saw lots of howler monkeys and a very active sloth! Plenty of fun restaurants to choose from, all at Terry's suggestions. This is a very laid back place and was the favorite of our trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Finding Magallan Inn was a little bit of an adventure, but once you found it, it is a little bit of heaven after the dust and bumpy drive getting to it. The garden is beautiful, excotic and full with flowers, little animal and colourful birds, including the Parrot that liked to show off as soon as he got your attention. The room was clean comfortable and equipped with air-con and a ceiling fan. However, even though the bathroom was bid and clean, the shower head had a mind of its own, whenever you turned the taps on, you needed to wedge it with something to hold it in place (I should have reported it to reception, sorry.
Having said that, it didn't spoil our enjoyment and comfort and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great with fresh fruit and home made bread, yammmmmmmmmmm. Great coffee too. We did drive to twon for dinner as it would have too dark to walk back-not safe with all the pot holes.

Room Tip: Watch out for the legs of the beds tthat seem to stick out a bit and we did get a few bruises on our...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2013

After spending 8 relaxing days at the Magellan Inn I can highly recommend this little slice of paradise. From the ambiance of the open air reception/ dining area to the crystal clear refreshing pool, comfortable beds with crisp linens changed daily, fresh flowers in the room and great attention to detail this place satiated all of my senses. The plentiful fruit and awesome coffee (served in individual coffe pots) had me looking forward to breakfast everyday. A few times I selected eggs from the menu and liked the scrambled eggs the best. Chico the Macaw loved performing tricks for the camera, make sure you applaud him when he finishes with a bow! The owner Terry and her daugher Eve went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and even whipped up something very special (complete with candles) for my friends birthday. Being a horse lover I was thrilled to find a few on premise and with permission was able to feed them my fruit rinds and pet them. they also did a great job of arranging all our transfers and setting up zip lining, snorkeling, and amazing horseback riding adventures. I hope to return again soon! P.S. Lita the receptionist was so sweet and speaks perfect English, and each room has it's own hammock!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Palominogurl
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Three of us stayed at this hotel for two nights in January, 2013. It was clean, had a nice pool and green surroundings. Pet parrots provided some entertainment too. However, despite these attributes, it was the worst hotel experience of our two weeks in Costa Rica. To accommodate the three of us, a very uncomfortable cot was added to an already small room. The cot would have been suitable for a young child but not for an adult. It was very difficult for us to move around in the room. Also, the shower head had a leak which drenched the whole bathroom floor. It was quite a mess. Weather was very hot and humid. We discovered that all the rooms except No. 1 and 2 had air conditioning. We were assigned No. 2. So our cooling was limited to an ineffective ceiling fan. As a final annoyance, unlike the other rooms, our room was not equipped with a hair dryer (we requested and were loaned one by the manager). Therefore, in the end, this hotel failed to provide us what we needed the most from it: comfort and a good sleep.

Room Tip: If you want air conditioning avoid Rooms #1 and #2. If there are three of you, inspect the extra be...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Passion Fruit Lodge
Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel
Atlantida Lodge
Atlantida Lodge
#7 of 12 in Cahuita

Been to Magellan Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!