“Great little spot tucked away near Cahuita”

Magellan Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 21 Cahuita B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

We came here for the first leg of our Costa Rican excursion and were happy to find Magellan Inn. It's a small, quiet spot near cahuita. It was perfect for us, being close to the beach and the town, but far enough away to get the quiet isolation that we were looking for. Terry and the staff here were great and very helpful. It's a 30 minute walk from here to town, so be prepared to do that or take a $5 cab ride, but the road is beautiful and quiet, so we were happy to get the exercise and make the trek each day. They only served breakfast (which was delicious) while we were here, so be prepared to travel for your other meals. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay in Cahuita, and this hotel was beautiful, clean, helpful and the staff was very welcoming. Great place for a chilled out stay by the beach. I would especially suggest it to couples.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed at this lovely inn for 3 nights with our teenage girls and absolutely loved it. The peaceful garden setting was exquisite, the private hammock in front of the room a favorite spot and the breakfast of tropical fruits and fresh bread delicious. Owner Terry was very attentive and helpful with any advice or suggestions one may need. We did not want to leave this oasis of tranquility and have missed it ever since.

Room Tip: We selected a room without A/C, which was just fine. Fans provide breeze.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Christina S
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I travelled to Cahuita on work related matters and brought my family with me. We were received by the owner Terri who is a very pleasant and accommodating lady. We were housed in room number 6 and my mom in room 5.

The hotel was full of greenery and lushious foliage and had a farm like atmosphere. It was very quiet, clean, scenic peaceful and tucked away from busy city life. To my surprise there was a huge and tame dog called Roxy. At first I was a little worried about my two year old son who is not used to big dogs but we were alright. Roxy was only out in the mornings. There were also two parrots, one of which liked to give a show, two horses and a few chickens.

Breakfast was lots of fruits with the best hot home made bread I had tasted in a long time. The pool was good fun and my husband and son enjoyed their swim.

The shower and bathroom set up was different but workable.

Glad we had the opportunity to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Candice21_13
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Terry at Magellan Inn runs a small hotel tucked away in the serenity and a short distance from the Cahuita national park.
The whole ambiance of the hotel is so comfortable. A place to chill or keep active with the various tours that Terry and her staff are happy to suggest and organize. While there indulge in a massage and walk round the corner to do yoga with Jo.

A walk away is the town of Cahuita and not to be missed is the Reggae bar and restaurant.

Highly recommend staying at the Magellan Inn Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I spent Easter week there last year and as a woman travelling alone found it to be the perfect place. My main goal in coming to CR was to go to the Sloth Sanctuary, but that only took up one of the 5 days I spent there. Every other second was spent enjoying the beautiful environment, proximity to the jungle, the beach and the beautiful pool. I am generally a late sleeper but each morning got up when it was still dark to enjoy seeing the place come alive! Just amazing!

The owner and staff were very welcoming and accomodating- helped me with taxis and suggested good little restaurants that I could walk to in under 5 minutes. I felt very safe in this area and experienced no hassles as a single traveller. It was the perfect retreat for me!

Room Tip: Since I have allergies I chose to pay the extra $10 for a room with AC and I was glad I did- and the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2013

This was a magical place to stay. You walk in to an open air reception area where terry greets you with a warm, kind smile. Then Leda fixes you a delicious tropical drink. Her piña coladas were delicious but my favorite was the coconut water with rum. Yum! Terry fixed us dinner three times and we were never disappointed. My husband's steak au poivre was the best he's ever had. Her shrimp with a ginger sauce were to die for. Of course, being a horse person and Parelli fan my favorite part of the stay was riding with terry and her daughter. I was able to ride in the ocean on her fabulous paso fino, Shiloh. Oh my! We enjoyed walking down to the beach but our favorite beach was a short taxi ride to Cahuita national park. Stunning! We saw lots of howler monkeys and a very active sloth! Plenty of fun restaurants to choose from, all at Terry's suggestions. This is a very laid back place and was the favorite of our trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Hotel La Diosa
#3 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 12 in Cahuita

Been to Magellan Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!