“The definition of pura vida!”
Review of Hotel La Diosa

Hotel La Diosa
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Cahuita
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I had a wonderful time visiting Costa Rica and staying at Hotel La Diosa. The grounds of the hotel were fantastic, the trees, flowers, and view of the ocean were wonderful. It is such a peaceful place, the rooms were lovely, the pools were very nice, and everything was well maintained. We had a great fresh breakfast prepared for us and got to enjoy it in paradise. I highly recommend coming to stay here if you are coming to Cahuita.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Christina824

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Visiting Costa Rica was a dream come true after trying to visit for a long time. I wanted to see the Caribbean side because of the rich culture. Traveling from San Jose was a delight, the vegetation is incredible. I traveled alone and wanted to stay in a quiet place. Hotel La Diosa was the right place, a small B&B right on the water. I had a nice room with a/c, very clean and bright. Breakfast was served in a round pavillon with gorgeous view to the ocean. Breakfast was excellent and generous with fruits, pancakes, eggs, toasts and homemade jelly, the raspberry was my favorite. The beach in front is swimable. The owner and the staff was very friendly and helpful. It was a wonderful experience and the Caribbean side is worth a visit.

Room Tip: A/C rooms are nicely designed
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank slmqb935
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I am sad that my vacation is over, but I am so happy I did the right thing for fifteen days in Costa Rica where my girlfriend and I spent our last four days at “La Diosa” in Cahuita. Now I know that The Caribean value is exactly what I needed, and at “La Diosa” I was able to have a beach right in there, or if I wanted to I could just walk to a larger beach which is free and close to the hotel; there are no fences and is all pristine nature. On the other hand if I wanted to be sun bathed in sweet water, all I had to do was to get in their swimming pool, in the middle of beautiful gardens! The place is clean and the service was so good that I never felt shy of anything. It was like being at home and now I realize the reasons, the owners themselves, Marcelo and Jaqueline take care of their clients, and they are quite friendly. If you Speak English, no problem; Sprechen Deutsch, kein problem; Habla Español? better yet! it's the main language of Costa Rica. Hotel La Diosa is quiet. (except in the mornings, since howler monkeys and birds may wake you up weather you like it or not) They do not have canopy tours on a single wire or any Tarzan like adventure, but two or three national parks nearby with wilderness paths, beautiful beaches and sanitary services; all ran on voluntary donations. However, there is more to La Diosa, that I do not know enough and it has to do with a worldwide Yoga Retreat Center at a short distance from the hotel. Well, I will give La Diosa four and one half stars only because I believe that always should be room for improvement, but I will highly recommend it to anyone looking for a friendly hotel on the Caribean side of Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Just ask the owners what you need.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JAIMEFBERWYN
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have returned to Costa Rica after three years but had never explored the Caribbean Coast. It is a green paradise with lots of jungle and wildlife. I was lucky to find La Diosa located right on the ocean. Beautiful architecture and great gardens. The suite was very comfortable and had a great view. The breakfast was delicious and was offered with a great variety of dishes. One day we got pancakes, the other day eggs and the third day french toast. The fresh fruits every morning are so wonderful and the coffee is autentic Costa Rican. The whole ambiance of the hotel is very serene and peaceful and invites to relax. It is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Take room Pachamama for a great view to ocean and garden
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank beaharr
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed at Hotel La Diosa for two nights in November 2011 as part of our honeymoon trip. Overall the experience was OK. The breakfast was quite poor – 2/3 pieces of fruit, an egg and some dry toast and out of date, rancid butter, and neither the staff nor the owner were friendly by Tico standards (they aren't Tico's mind). The jacuzzi didn't work in the first room we were given (No.4), but when we asked for a change of room and went into Cahuita for dinner we were given another room on our return (No.9) where it worked fine – the water was warm rather than hot, but that was OK. The location is very near to the beach (50m), but a good kilometer outside town – we had hired a 4wd so that wasn't a problem for us. We saw some wildlife on the grounds – a hummingbird, lots of land crabs, some poison-dart frogs, and something in the night that was probably an opossum or raccoon. The bed was fine, ac and wireless worked, so nothing really to complain about, but certainly “could have been better”.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BarcelonaCouple42
Reviewed 13 June 2013

If paradise exists it must be here… this small family hotel at the ocean with its beautiful gardens is perfect for a special vacation. After a Yoga course was it the ideal place to enjoy some extra days at The Caribbean. We had a wonderful suite with Jacuzzi. If I could I would life there forever…

Room Tip: For family and friends take a bungalow, for couples suites with Kink size beds.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Spent a week and a half (as a couple) in Cahuita a year ago and knew we'd be making a return visit. This time around, however, my husband and I returned as newlyweds. :-). We wanted our experience to be a bit more romantic because of this, and were given nothing short of the best accommodations from Marcello and his staff. :-).

The room was spacious and clean, was situated right on the edge of the garden that faced out towards the ocean, & came equipped with a jacuzzi and panoramic window, giving us the perfect view to wake up and fall asleep to every day! We later figured out when biking around Cahuita, that it was actually the room that's advertised on the billboards! Can't get any nicer than that. Lol.

The breakfast was a plus; light, refreshing and a good way to start the day, when you're as active as my husband and I are. And yes... there was an ocean view at breakfast too! Lol. The hotel only offers breakfast but they were willing to heat up any takeout food we had, and you can purchase anything from bottled water to bottles of wine from their front office. There's also a restaurant directly across the road from the hotel that's open throughout the the day.

The grounds were extremely quiet and peaceful. I can't remember the last time I slept that well. We saw loads of wildlife on the property (always nice if you're an animal lover), including an adorable two toed sloth in the tree right outside of our window when we arrived!

The thing I will take away the most from this experience though, is the extreme hospitality that was shown to my husband and I by Marcello. From the efforts that were made on his part, to accommodate us in our initial booking, to the personal attention and assistance we received from him while we were there. Truly a good man. I will not forget it. :-).

(A side note- just something to think about... if you're staying for an extended period of time on the Caribbean coast, right on the water, it's a good idea to hang all of your clothes up so they can air out. The humidity and the cramped space in a suitcase will have them mildewing after a few days).

Room Tip: Room Number 4 (Pachamama) is a plus!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Passion Fruit Lodge
Atlantida Lodge
Atlantida Lodge
#7 of 12 in Cahuita
Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel La Diosa? Share your experiences!