“Just What We Needed”
Review of Hotel Uran

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chirripo National Park
Hotel Uran
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Just What We Needed”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Spent the night here before hiking Chirripo and it was just what we needed. Perfect location right at the entrance of the National Park. Rooms are ok - clean and with hot water, food is good (they start serving breakfast at 4:30 a.m. in case you want to grab something before the hike), and you can leave your car at the parking lot while up in the mountain.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 13 August 2013

- Great place to spend a night or two
- Perfectly located right at the entrance of the National Park to hike Cerro Chirripó
- Lovely service - very helpful and friendly and know how to organize things
- Flawless amenities - bed comes with blanket, toilet comes with paper
- Great, hearty breakfast - big and hot, exactly what you need

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank agi l
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I was traveling alone, and the people who ran Hotel Uran were so lovely and gracious, it felt very welcoming.
I was able to pick up necessary items for the over night up on the mountain and they stored the bigger bag for me.
The chicken casado was sooooo delicious, I just think about it and my mouth waters! They are operational extra early to accommodate the early hike, the bed was comfortable, sheets were very clean and blankets warm. Its not a fussy place, its functional, helpful, happy and clean place.

I would stay here again, in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelTime1982
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We stayed here for two nights in early December. We stayed in a private room which had two beds and a small bathroom. The room itself was fine- nothing special, but certainly comfortable, quiet, and clean. The shower had hot water which was especially inviting after a summit of Chirripó. At night we could either hear rain or the river- I couldn't tell which, but the white noise made sleeping here very peaceful.

The hotel is located 50M from the trailhead to Chirripó. If you arrive at San Gerardo de Rivas by bus, the hotel is about 3km from the last bus stop. Although the owner had stated we could call for a ride when we arrive, we opted to walk since we had been sitting on a bus for so long. If you do walk, just note that it's all uphill to the hotel! The hotel staff was very accommodating, and helped us out with obtaining a hiking permit and arranging a taxi to take us back to San Isidro.

The hotel restaurant served good food, and we ate all of our meals here. The restaurant staff was really friendly and nice. The restaurant begins serving breakfast at 4:30am, and provides a pretty decent size breakfast so that you won't get hungry for awhile.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here. Because we summited Chirripó and came back in a single day, most of our time was spent on the mountain. I would have liked to stay here an extra day to explore the area had our schedule permitted it. I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Escazu, Costa Rica
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I've stayed here twice over the last four years. Overall, I've been very happy. Most importantly, the hotel is located close to the start of the Chirripo trail. The owner, Rohel, is very helpful with all logistics related to the hike. The price of a room includes breakfast, safe parking (including during your multi-day hike), luggage storage, and a hot shower upon your return from the mountain. Breakfast is available from 4:30 AM, so you can start your hike early with a full stomach. The food is surprisingly good for an out of the way place. The service is friendly and efficient (at least when spoken to in decent Spanish; I think Rohel might be the only one with a good English vocabulary). The rooms are basic but clean. It can get noisy when student groups shack up, and plus there is the predawn bustle of guests getting ready for their hikes. Overall, this is a good base camp for your Chirripo expedition.

Room Tip: The quietest room is at the back on the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I stayed here 2 nights while visiting Chirripo. The owner was one of the most helpful people I have ever encountered. He found us walking to the hotel from the park ranger's and drove us the rest of way, and gave us all the information we needed for Chirripo. He also gave us a lift back to the bus when we were leaving. The food in the restaurant was great for breakfast and dinner, and the sandwiches they made for us to take to Chirripo were amazing. There is a small store in the hotel where you can buy snacks for the walk, which is convenient because it's about 2km back to the one next to the football field. The hotel is also only 50m from the trailhead, which is perfect for starting the climb early. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Climbing Chirripo was one of my main reasons to go to Costa Rica. Started email communications with the owner - Roel. I wanted to start the climb on Jan 1. He took care of all administrative matters, i.e. registering for the entrance to the Chirripo Park. I reach the hotel on Dec 31, he takes me in his car to the Park Office and helps me to get the entry pass to the park. Takes me to a store to select food items that I might need at the base camp the following night. I wanted a guide and he ensures that it is organized. Without his help I would not have been able to do the January 1 climb. On returning from the climb, his was the best beer I ever tasted in my life. My return to San Jose was fully organized by him. He arranged a taxi to take me to San Isidro. Got the taxi driver to buy a bus ticket for me to San Isidro. The taxi driver ensured that I got on the right bus. I definitely will remember the whole experience for the rest of my life.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Been to Hotel Uran? Share your experiences!