“Excellent Hotel and Resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Playa Westfalia

Hotel Playa Westfalia
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Limon
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
“Excellent Hotel and Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Diana, the manager, is wonderful. Organized everything for our trip. had dinner ready for us upon our arrival. Organized a shuttle from san jose airport to her resort and also a cab the following morning to the moin boat launch to go to Tortuguero. Can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrSudbury
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
I am sorry for such a late reply. For some reason, I was not notified of some of my reviews, yours being one of them. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and hope you can come again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Czech first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I don't agree with the last review at all ! Yes Cahuita and Puerto Viejo, 50km away, are much nicer towns than Limon, but the Playa Westfalia Hotel is the nicest one around !! Limon is a Industrial port tonw. We went there a few times to walk around, it's not charming but people are very nice... We stayed there for 1 week (during the Transat Jacques Vabre), and enjoyed the pool, the bar and the restaurant.
The breakfast is indeed included in the price of the room and is very good, although we ate the same thing every morning for 1 week...
The owner / manager of the hotel were very friendly, extremely helpful and nice.
The hotel itself is very clean, the rooms are big, the bathrooms even bigger !
For a few days we were the only 3 guests, and that was weird but nice :)
Then more people came and we were upgraded to a bigger room so they could accomodate everyody !
The only thing is the price of the room, which seems to me a little expensive for the location... But every hotel in the area (from Limon to Puerto Viejo) does the same kind of price, so...

I'm not sure I'll go back to Limon anytime soon, but I would love to go back to the Westfalia Hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms have small patios that are really nice for an evening drink !
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

The staff is nice, but that's it. Hotel is in the middle of nowhere, you can't walk around to see or visit anything. Breakfast is not included, and the food is bad and expensive. Rooms have shady lights that glow weirdly and gives a terrible atmosphere in the room. Bathroom is huge, which is nice but totally disproportionate in comparison to the bedroom that's pretty small. We were the only one in the hotel which was even weirder. Weather was bad but it can't be attributed to the hotel of course, but it doesnt help when you realize that's the very volatile nature of the weather on the Carribean coast. We stayed one night only when we originally reserved for 4 days, headed to Cahuita which was much nicer. Terrible place.

Room Tip: Get the hell outta here
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JeCat19
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this review, 24 September 2011
Hi JeCat;

Why did it take you 8 months to review the hotel? It looks like maybe you didn't really check the area before traveling as we do not make it a secret about where we are located. The Caribbean side is more laid back & island style, unlike the Pacific side which is very Americanized. As the owner, I can tell you that we pride ourself on being the absolute best hotel in the area as shown by all of the other ratings on TripAdvisor, and the American Embassy staff from San Jose and many others stay there on a regular basis. As for things to do, it is a short $2 taxi ride into Limon for shopping and there are numerous day trips you can take using one of our guides to go zip lining, horsback riding or white water rafting. Anyway, I hope that you enjoyed yourself on the rest of your trip and maybe the next time you come down give us a chance to get a better review.

Pura Vida!
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel as a pit stop before puerto viejo. Its super easy to find as there is a bus that can take there from the limon bus station. You just need to ask the bus driver to stop there. The service there was fantastic and the views were world class. Our accommodation, itself, was fantastic and for a very good price. The manager knows excellent English and was extremely polite and helpful. If budget is not the biggest worry I would recommend this place to everyone

Room Tip: Check out every hotel searching website you can.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

This was the first stop on our trip. It had been a long day of travelling into Costa Rica and this was a perfect end to our day. A beautiful property with very clean, modern and safe rooms. The restaurant serves a good mix of traditional Costa Rican meals and options, very tasty and needed after our trip that day. The view of the ocean coupled with the inviting beach was amazing and we will be back forsure.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

I have come for a much needed relaxation time, and the staff has been beyond compare, the calmness, freedom, and total feeling of security has been amazing. I have sent emails home to Canada, and friends in the USA, suggested to anyone if you want to relax, have super food, be on the beach, swimming pool, hot tub, wi-fi, great staff, this is the place to be.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Victoria1328
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

I spent several days at Hotel Playa Westfalia just south of Puerto Limon along the Costa Rica Caribbean coast. What a wonderful place to stay; the service, staff, food & overall ambience was extraordinary. Diana Maya is the General Manager, and her extensive background & interpersonal skills, coupled with genuine compassion & love of life helps to make your experience quite special. She is also an animal lover who has several rescued dogs who help create a warm welcome to each day & your lounging time at their beautiful pool. Every person and creature there are good will ambassadors helping you to enjoy your stay @ HPWF.
Come on down & experience it yourself.
Jim (Santiago0 jaeschke

Hotel La Diosa
#6 of 13 in Cahuita
La Casa de las Flores Hotel
Suizo Loco Lodge Hotel & Resort

Been to Hotel Playa Westfalia? Share your experiences!