Hotel Playa Westfalia
Park Hotel(Puerto Limon)
US$70
US$60
Average 3/5
Maribu Caribe Hotel(Puerto Limon)
US$88
Hotel Playa Bonita(Puerto Limon)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsplaya westfaliapuerto viejothe ownertwo nightssloth sanctuarythe east coastwonderful hotelcomfortable roomsfeel at homesan josehot watermy boyfriendnice pooloutstanding serviceseveral daysearly flightbreakfast was included
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Hotel Westfalia was the perfect place for us to stay before we went to Tortuguero. We had the room on the ground floor right next to the pool. The room was spacious and very clean. We had internet access. The pool area was very nice. The restaurant area is more like a soda, but was fine for what we needed. Dianna, the manager, let us leave our car in the parking lot when we left (in a taxi to catch the boat) to go to Tortuguero for the night since we were not comfortable leaving the car at the dock. She even let us leave our extra luggage in their storage room for extra security. We would recommend Westalia to families and couples. It is right on the beach and has a large area with a volleyball net. You might not want to swim in the ocean right there, but it's a nice walk and a beautiful area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

I am sorry for such a late reply. For some reason, I was not notified of some of my reviews, yours being one of them. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and hope you can come again in the future!

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I gave this a 4 stars because we got a room with two double beds, a kitchenette, and a sitting/lounge room and a huge bathroom, all for a decent price. The pool was cleaned daily and was nice to go in. The staff do not really speak english, although we found one that could and communicated through her the whole time.

As for the location; it is 5 minutes outside of Limon, a town you only want to drive through as it looks dirty and seedy. We stopped at a fruit market and some kids tried to get us to pay for watching the car and we were very out of place.

The beach that is right in front of the hotel is littered with debris from the ocean, and the mosquitoes are atrocious. We used half a bottle of deet in 2 days. It rained for almost the whole time we were on the carribean side. This all has nothing to do with the hotel, it is just the environment as someone else mentioned.

An hour south is Puerto Viejo, worth a visit but only for a day in my opinion.

I wouldn't visit this side of the country again.

Room Tip: We had room 3 which was huge.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MatthewJR
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Hi Matthew;

Sorry for the late reply, but I thought I had responded and just noticed that I actually responded to someone with the same concerns that stayed just the week before you. Here is a cpy of that reply:

March 22, 2012

I am sorry for the lack of English speaking staff during your visit. Two of our management staff left recently and it is hard to find people to replce them quickly. My manager Diana,Maya has recently begun English lessons for all the staff in hopes of making them all much better at communicating in the future.

I wish I could do something about the mosquitos, but unfortunately they are a part of life in the Caribbean, and if you really want to see mosquitos, try a little town on the Pacific side called Playa Zancudo (Mosquito Beach).

I hope that you will come back and try us again some time in the future!

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Staff was friendly but couldn't almost any English. At the time we where there the weather was bad, always rain and a lot of mosquitos but of course this has nothing to do with the hotel, more with the environment. I wouldn't go back at that side of the country.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fanneke570
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

I hope that you will come back and try us again some time in the future!

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Diana, the manager, is wonderful. Organized everything for our trip. had dinner ready for us upon our arrival. Organized a shuttle from san jose airport to her resort and also a cab the following morning to the moin boat launch to go to Tortuguero. Can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrSudbury

Reviewed 29 November 2011

I don't agree with the last review at all ! Yes Cahuita and Puerto Viejo, 50km away, are much nicer towns than Limon, but the Playa Westfalia Hotel is the nicest one around !! Limon is a Industrial port tonw. We went there a few times to walk around, it's not charming but people are very nice... We stayed there for 1 week (during the Transat Jacques Vabre), and enjoyed the pool, the bar and the restaurant.
The breakfast is indeed included in the price of the room and is very good, although we ate the same thing every morning for 1 week...
The owner / manager of the hotel were very friendly, extremely helpful and nice.
The hotel itself is very clean, the rooms are big, the bathrooms even bigger !
For a few days we were the only 3 guests, and that was weird but nice :)
Then more people came and we were upgraded to a bigger room so they could accomodate everyody !
The only thing is the price of the room, which seems to me a little expensive for the location... But every hotel in the area (from Limon to Puerto Viejo) does the same kind of price, so...

I'm not sure I'll go back to Limon anytime soon, but I would love to go back to the Westfalia Hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms have small patios that are really nice for an evening drink !
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends