Hotel Guarana is a very cute place. It's in a great location - close to the beach, bars, restaurants, etc...but a few blocks away from all the action so you don't hear the noise. It is kind of a party place...I'd consider it just a step up from a hostel. You get the common rooms where you can meet fellow travelers like a hostel, but with the added convenience of your own room and bathroom.
Although it was a very cute room, I think our problem was trying to fit 4 adults into one fairly small room. The room had 4 twin beds and there was a little extra space for our luggage, so the bed arrangement wasn't the problem. The bathroom, on the other hand, was tiny and didn't feel extremely clean...and we had some ongoing issues getting the toilet to work. But maybe my standards were just higher because we came from a really nice place that was $20/night per person instead of $10/night, but we definitely had the feeling that we got exactly what we paid for... But we're all used to hostels and we thought this place would be fun, so that's why we initially decided to go cheap.
The noise at night was definitely an issue as there were only screens for windows. There were some guys next to us partying what felt like all night...I could hear every word they said loud and clear. But I know this is a place for young people, so I can't complain too much about people having fun on their vacation...it very well could've been us having all that fun... :)
Lastly, I hate to mention this but feel like I should. Although everyone else says the owners were friendly to them, we just didn't get the warm and fuzzies from them. They weren't especially welcoming when we arrived after our long journey to get there. They also weren't very helpful and forthcoming with information when we asked for advice. We had to go back to the room and read our guidebooks. I don't think the staff was rude purposefully.....but everyone knows when you feel welcome somewhere, you will have a much better experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Guarana is a small hotel full of colors and good energy. We have 12 rooms individually ,uniquely decorated. We are situated in one of the most quiet and central streets in Puerto Viejo, 200 m. only steps to beach and restaurants. The hotel is safe, private and set in a lush tropical garden of flowers and fauna. Services include; Wireless, Laundry, Safe in room, Parking, communal kitchen totally equipped. English, Spanish, French & Italian spoken. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Guarana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Guarana Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Hotel Guarana Costa Rica/Limon