Cabinas Punta Uva
US$221
US$152
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$99
Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$145
US$119
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Banana Azul(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$89
Hotels.com
Lizard King Hotel Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$73
Tierra de Suenos Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$109
US$83
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$85
La Perla del Caribe(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$112
Orbitz.com
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$73
US$62
Tree House Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$200
All reviewsoutdoor kitchenhot and cold waterpunta uvabeautiful beachthe ownercook your own mealshowler monkeyswatch the sunrisecosta ricapiece of paradisefantastic staylaid backwonderful hostsbike ridethree nightsclamsdomingo
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Before going to Cabinas Punta Uva, I read every single review I could find. Good and bad, I reviewed them all. For the bad or mediocre reviews, let me just say...Rain Forest! My husband and I spent 6 beautiful days, having just returned hours ago to our home in NC. Helena and Guillam are wonderful, I could not ask for more acomodating hosts. Helena greeted us with a hug. When I got chilly at night they brought me another blanket. When my nail polish chipped, Helena loaned me her acetone. It is the little niceties that we seem to forget when traveling. To us, the little things made all the difference. We slept each night with the sound of the ocean and the forest creatures lulling us to sleep. It was the best sleep we've had in ages. It is a simple property, not a hotel. The shared kitchen was fine. We had plenty of privacy and simply got to disconnect from our busy lives. Guillam and Helena are always available to help you figure out how to navigate, where to go, how to get there, etc. They rent bikes, have beach gear for use, etc. The dogs were a special treat. Being an animal lover, having Nona, Luna and Argus there made us feel at home and welcome. Guillam pointing out the sloths in the trees was above and beyond. I cannot say enough nice things about the people or the place. Again, I say that if you are looking for a place to be served, catered to and are not into nature, choose an actual hotel on the other side of the island. This is much like luxury camping. You have a clean room with a bathroom and hot water in the shower, a comfortable bed with mosquito net if needed, a refrigerator and kitchen to cook in and right on the ocean. You just can not ask for more. I recommend a taxi into Puerto Viejo unless you are really physically fit. Using the bikes for the store on the right is fine, they have a better selection anyway. Stay away from the store on the left as the owner has ill behaved dogs who come and go in and out of the store at will. They lunge and snap at you like they are going to bite. The beach is gorgeous, but only good for snorkeling one or two months out of the year. Selvins is next door basically and the food is outstanding and at a good price. Thank you Helena and Guillam for one of the best trips we have ever been on. We wish you every good thing that life has to offer.

Room Tip: When they say two to a room, they mean it. The rooms are perfect for two people but three or four people and you just can not move.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JenniferandJim
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We are simple travelers, so we just get what ever comes in our way. We got here to this place in a lucky movement. We where getting to the area by bus and all of a sudden we just decided it was the right place to get off of it. We where literally in the middle of no where, so we started walking trying to look for a beach. but we walked for more than an hour over the street under that Limon's killing sun and still nothing. Eventually found an entrance in the jungle, which we assume will take us to the ocean, and finally did. In that trail we found a huge dead monkey that scare me at first sight... heavy smell also.
Right after we got out of this jungle trail, a piece of paradise showed in front of our eyes, here i should say that the atlantic beaches in CR are awesome, magical.
We walked for a while longer, maybe another thirty minutes when we saw this little place, it was not preciselly Cabinas Punta Uva, it was another place and we where heading right to the first place in our way, but the little sign from the Cabinas called us, and finnally stayed there for three days.
What can I say about it... well it is probably one of the best places i have been. The ocean and the jungle so close, that you can almost be on both at the same time. And the lodge is the perfect fusion of both. Simplicity and nature working to make your senses over flow any prior experience. If you ever visit these place, you will understand what i have been trying to say... True love for the entire world.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sergio M
Reviewed 3 January 2012

After reading the great reviews from this thread, I made reservations for this room several months in advance. I've done research through TripAdvisor for a long time now and it has never before steered me wrong; but I cannot fathom why people enjoyed their stay at Cabinas Punta Uva. To be clear, we stayed at several places between Cahuita and Punta Uva over a two week period before arriving at this establishment (so we had great comparisons for places of equal cost). We stayed in the left room of the cabina separate from the main establishment. The surrounding outside area was kempt and the proximity to the water was great. The room had three main issues: 1. the bathroom was crawling with ants (literally crawling up my legs when attempting to use the facilities, 2. the sheets, though claimed to be changed, were not just damp, but wet, 3. the room stank extraordinarily bad.

While the ant issue could have been easily resolved with an ant trap, it is possible that the 2nd and 3rd issues may be more structural and not do completely to the inattention of the host. The dankness may be do to the fact that the room did not have enough windows and that the garden, allowed to grow thick, may stifle any air flow. Perhaps this place is better during the dry seasons and that is what the other reviewers were encountering. But, I cannot accept the hosts opinion that this was due to being near the water and that "every place has the same problem here." As I said before, we stayed at multiple places before this where the sheets we slightly damp and the smell was slightly musky, this is to be expected everywhere and was not a problem at all. My wife and I are no shrinking violets and most of our traveling is in a tent and out of rucksacks. We could have dealt with the ants, and the wet sheets, but the smell was noxious. We had to keep our bags closed for fear that all of our clothes would be contaminated and the smell kept us up for much of the night.

I notified our host that we would be leaving that morning because we were unsatisfied. He quickly grew defensive saying that if I told him two weeks earlier it wouldn't be a problem. So I was forced to pay for the 2 additional nights that we were not staying, in order to leave. What is slightly annoying about this is the fact that it was a Saturday and Sunday that we had just paid for, and I assume he rebooked at least the Saturday night later that day - so, he doubled his pay while we took the hit for leaving a miserable circumstance.

Our hosts parting words were condescendingly "good luck." Which, we fortunately found with less than a ten minute walk south to Pachamama House & Bungalows. While our host at Cabinas Punta Uva said all of the places on the coast suffered from the issues that it faced, a stones throw away at Pachamama had dry sheets, no indoor ants, and most importantly no noxious smells. Not only that, it was less expensive, included breakfast, and had extremely warm and generous hosts.

It totally made up for our poor experience, that small portion of which I would like to forget - I only thought it fair to give warning to fellow travelers. There are so many great places up and down the coast. While I'm astonished that I am in the minority here, and you may be skeptical because of that, do yourself a favor and don't take the chance; you have so many other options.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
15  Thank EugeneParish
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We stayed in the cabins for 3 days, and the place is very nice and relaxed. Its placed right at the beach. One of the closest spots i Punta Uva.
Domingo, the host, is doing everything for you, helping out with all sorts of thing occasionally offering us beer and coffee. Glad i could help him back by installing a sounddriver on his computer.
The rooms are nice and clean but nothing special. There is a common kitchen, where the lodgers come to cook.
I would recommend it for everybody in the area. There is only 3 rooms, so not overcrowded.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lindus1975
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Perfect dream vacation. At night we would listen to the waves crashing and the monkeys howling. Our Cabina was very nice, it had a small fridge, a balcony with table & chairs and a hamac. The property was beautiful and so close to the water. The monkeys would throw coconuts on our cabina. We saw lots of monkeys and sloths on the property. Sergi and Anna (our hosts) prepared us breakfast, pizzas, and soup for an additional cost. (very reasonable) Sergi is a chef. The food and service was fantastic. Punta Uva is the nicest beach, very beautiful, and has the calmest water for swimming. We snorkled and saw small fish, we would play in the warm water each day and we felt like we were kids again. In the evening, we would sit out and play games or cards. One night we used the outdoor kitchen to prepare our dinner. If you like to cook, you will love the outdoor kitchen, fully stocked, and has tables and chairs and games and books. You can sit out there and play games after your meal or lay on a hamac under the trees, looking at the monkeys or watching the waves. We already miss this place and are planning our next vacation. We'll be back very soon, that's for sure!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple