“solo perfecto”

Cabinas Punta Uva
La Tigra De Costa Rica
“solo perfecto”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Yo con mi familia, estubo en cabinas Punta Uva y tenia muy bueno tiempo, excelente servicio, habitacion, baño con cosina esta muy limpio, leer un poste anterior y pruebe econtrar un raton y no se puede:)! La Playa nosotros le gustamos mucho, eso primero ves que fuimos al Caribian costa y playa Uva le gusta mas que otros - limpio, agua transparente, arena amarillo, muy buena vista, cabinas muy cerco de la playa! Quiero desir mucho gracias al señor Alejandro y señor Domingo por muy bueno tiempo y ellos ayuda! Cuando vamos al proxima ves, sabemos a donde acostamos!
Denis, Olga y Andrey
I and my famaly been at cabinas Punta Uva and had very good time! Excelent service, room bathroom and kitchen are very clean, we saw last post about rat and try find it, but can not:)
We like this beach so much and more than another - very clean, transperent water, yellow sand, perfect view, hostel very closed from the beach! I want say thank you so much for Alejandro and Domingo for their help and perfect time that we had! When we decided next time come at the beach, we know where we will stap!!!
Denis, Olga y Andrey
Я и моя семья остановились в кабинах Punta Uva и провели очень хорошо время! Отличный сервис, комната, туалет и кухня очень чистые, мы прочитали предыдущий отзыв и попытались найти крысу, но так и не нашли ;) Этот пляж нам понравился больше чем другие - чистый, прозрачная вода, желтый песок и райский вид! Мы хотим сказать огромное спасибо Алехандро и Доминго за их помощь и прекрасно проведенное время, когда мы в следующий раз поедем на Карибы мы знаем где остановимся!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank OlgayDenis

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
sweden
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This place is a little paradise, it´s so peaceful and beutiful. The bungalows are great, with big verandas where we spent a lot of time as we had a lot of rain. There is a very good and clean outdoor kitchen where it´s nice to hang around as well. The dogs of the hotel are big but friendly, one of them followed us on our long beach walks. There are a few restaurants and a little shop within 5 minutes walking distance. A lot more restaurants and a better supermarket are by the next beach, a 15-minutes walk. The young spanish people running the hotel are friendly enough but didn´t seem to have much experience from running a hotel. The bungalows were not cleaned during our 5-day stay which puts down the grades one step.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Keswick, ON
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We arrived at Cabinas Punta Uva planning to stay for 6 nights, however after 2 days we moved. The bedroom area was tastefully decorated and had a nice Japanese flavour. The bathroom had obviously not been cleaned (former resident hair in the sink and a soap wrapper in the window) and there was a horrible rusty smell coming from the water. The faucets were extremely old and the bathroom stall was mouldy including the shower curtain. The communal kitchen was not functional. The coffee maker didn't work, the 2 toasters were not working right, and 2 of the 3 burners on the propane stove kept collapsing. When we asked Mark to store my extra wallet and important travel documents, we discovered them sitting the next day on a pile of towels behind the reception desk. The best thing about this place was the 2 dogs Maki and Luna. I don't think they cared less whether or not we were there. It was obviously the place was run down. I don't recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kerri H
Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Cabinas Punta Uva was not at all what we expected. We first found out that the web site pictures are from an earlier time when the place was newer, fresher and not run down. We had requested an extra bed in our room so Guillium and Helena brought a mattress to our room and put it on the floor with a sheet on it.....REALLY!! Did they really expect me to sleep on the floor, the rooms were damp and musty, not an environment to put a mattress. Our bathroom door did not close nor did the door knob work. The bathroom taps leaked water everytime we turned it on, and the bathroom shower head broke as soon as we turned it on from the water pressure. The hand held support unit broke in two and the shower head fell to the floor cracking apart. We showered at the other cabin our friends had rented, their shower was also moldy and falling apart. These rooms were in great need of major maintenance.

This was our 4th trip to Costa Rica, we have traveled the entire country staying a few days at each location and moving on. We are simple travelers and have stayed in some low income establishments but there seemed to be no excuse for this place to be run down. The care takers seemed to be too busy enjoying themselves instead of maintaining the resort. Guillium was often off in town with the jeep and Helena was off swimming in the ocean.

The communal kitchen is very close to the ocean so we found the pots and pans to be in rough shape and in need of replacement as the salt air must have a great impact on them. We ate at a near by restaurant.

Our rooms had an odour in them resembling diesel fuel. I think it was from the staging process they used to seal the wood. Our friend touring with us has asthma and could not breath in the room. We only stayed one night and had to move on. We found a nice resort down the road with a pool for $85 a night.

We don't need alot when we travel, we just want to be comfortable. But I don't understand how so many travelers can rave so much about this place. It really was not at all what we expected. The location was superb but the resort is in need of a major overhaul.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank lovestotravelwithhim
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Before going to Cabinas Punta Uva, I read every single review I could find. Good and bad, I reviewed them all. For the bad or mediocre reviews, let me just say...Rain Forest! My husband and I spent 6 beautiful days, having just returned hours ago to our home in NC. Helena and Guillam are wonderful, I could not ask for more acomodating hosts. Helena greeted us with a hug. When I got chilly at night they brought me another blanket. When my nail polish chipped, Helena loaned me her acetone. It is the little niceties that we seem to forget when traveling. To us, the little things made all the difference. We slept each night with the sound of the ocean and the forest creatures lulling us to sleep. It was the best sleep we've had in ages. It is a simple property, not a hotel. The shared kitchen was fine. We had plenty of privacy and simply got to disconnect from our busy lives. Guillam and Helena are always available to help you figure out how to navigate, where to go, how to get there, etc. They rent bikes, have beach gear for use, etc. The dogs were a special treat. Being an animal lover, having Nona, Luna and Argus there made us feel at home and welcome. Guillam pointing out the sloths in the trees was above and beyond. I cannot say enough nice things about the people or the place. Again, I say that if you are looking for a place to be served, catered to and are not into nature, choose an actual hotel on the other side of the island. This is much like luxury camping. You have a clean room with a bathroom and hot water in the shower, a comfortable bed with mosquito net if needed, a refrigerator and kitchen to cook in and right on the ocean. You just can not ask for more. I recommend a taxi into Puerto Viejo unless you are really physically fit. Using the bikes for the store on the right is fine, they have a better selection anyway. Stay away from the store on the left as the owner has ill behaved dogs who come and go in and out of the store at will. They lunge and snap at you like they are going to bite. The beach is gorgeous, but only good for snorkeling one or two months out of the year. Selvins is next door basically and the food is outstanding and at a good price. Thank you Helena and Guillam for one of the best trips we have ever been on. We wish you every good thing that life has to offer.

Room Tip: When they say two to a room, they mean it. The rooms are perfect for two people but three or four pe...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JenniferandJim
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We are simple travelers, so we just get what ever comes in our way. We got here to this place in a lucky movement. We where getting to the area by bus and all of a sudden we just decided it was the right place to get off of it. We where literally in the middle of no where, so we started walking trying to look for a beach. but we walked for more than an hour over the street under that Limon's killing sun and still nothing. Eventually found an entrance in the jungle, which we assume will take us to the ocean, and finally did. In that trail we found a huge dead monkey that scare me at first sight... heavy smell also.
Right after we got out of this jungle trail, a piece of paradise showed in front of our eyes, here i should say that the atlantic beaches in CR are awesome, magical.
We walked for a while longer, maybe another thirty minutes when we saw this little place, it was not preciselly Cabinas Punta Uva, it was another place and we where heading right to the first place in our way, but the little sign from the Cabinas called us, and finnally stayed there for three days.
What can I say about it... well it is probably one of the best places i have been. The ocean and the jungle so close, that you can almost be on both at the same time. And the lodge is the perfect fusion of both. Simplicity and nature working to make your senses over flow any prior experience. If you ever visit these place, you will understand what i have been trying to say... True love for the entire world.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sergio M
Manitou Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 3 January 2012

After reading the great reviews from this thread, I made reservations for this room several months in advance. I've done research through TripAdvisor for a long time now and it has never before steered me wrong; but I cannot fathom why people enjoyed their stay at Cabinas Punta Uva. To be clear, we stayed at several places between Cahuita and Punta Uva over a two week period before arriving at this establishment (so we had great comparisons for places of equal cost). We stayed in the left room of the cabina separate from the main establishment. The surrounding outside area was kempt and the proximity to the water was great. The room had three main issues: 1. the bathroom was crawling with ants (literally crawling up my legs when attempting to use the facilities, 2. the sheets, though claimed to be changed, were not just damp, but wet, 3. the room stank extraordinarily bad.

While the ant issue could have been easily resolved with an ant trap, it is possible that the 2nd and 3rd issues may be more structural and not do completely to the inattention of the host. The dankness may be do to the fact that the room did not have enough windows and that the garden, allowed to grow thick, may stifle any air flow. Perhaps this place is better during the dry seasons and that is what the other reviewers were encountering. But, I cannot accept the hosts opinion that this was due to being near the water and that "every place has the same problem here." As I said before, we stayed at multiple places before this where the sheets we slightly damp and the smell was slightly musky, this is to be expected everywhere and was not a problem at all. My wife and I are no shrinking violets and most of our traveling is in a tent and out of rucksacks. We could have dealt with the ants, and the wet sheets, but the smell was noxious. We had to keep our bags closed for fear that all of our clothes would be contaminated and the smell kept us up for much of the night.

I notified our host that we would be leaving that morning because we were unsatisfied. He quickly grew defensive saying that if I told him two weeks earlier it wouldn't be a problem. So I was forced to pay for the 2 additional nights that we were not staying, in order to leave. What is slightly annoying about this is the fact that it was a Saturday and Sunday that we had just paid for, and I assume he rebooked at least the Saturday night later that day - so, he doubled his pay while we took the hit for leaving a miserable circumstance.

Our hosts parting words were condescendingly "good luck." Which, we fortunately found with less than a ten minute walk south to Pachamama House & Bungalows. While our host at Cabinas Punta Uva said all of the places on the coast suffered from the issues that it faced, a stones throw away at Pachamama had dry sheets, no indoor ants, and most importantly no noxious smells. Not only that, it was less expensive, included breakfast, and had extremely warm and generous hosts.

It totally made up for our poor experience, that small portion of which I would like to forget - I only thought it fair to give warning to fellow travelers. There are so many great places up and down the coast. While I'm astonished that I am in the minority here, and you may be skeptical because of that, do yourself a favor and don't take the chance; you have so many other options.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple