“hotel is OK not more not less with some lacks”

Paradise Island Lodge
San Jose, Costa Rica
“hotel is OK not more not less with some lacks”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

the hotel is more or less OK and it seems clean. It was very important for me to have Internet access but the Internet is not working most of the time and once working it is extremely slow. Service is nothing special - there seems to be a certain routing and things work in an unspectacular way. It was for sure not a hotel that I might remember too long.
For my opinion it is too expensive for the value you get.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Elsa M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Petra and David made us at home instantly. We spent 6 days at La Isla Inn and loved it. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The food is amazing! You can't beat the location and prices. The only negative to the experience, not even a negative really, was that the jacuzzi was actually just a mini pool, no heat or jets. We would stay here again and again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IttyBee
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2012

If you are planning a trip to Costa Rica, going to Puerto Viejo is a must. But prices are increasing and sadly the local tourism is being managed mostly by foreigners. This place is partly an example, but if one thing I can say is that they definitely work to help the local industry grow by the locals.

The place itself is great, clean and comfortable. A very nice pool that usually has not so many visitors as the guests remain taking advantage of the area, the beach and so on. It's managed by one of the 3 owners and she has kept a familiar atmosphere with cozy spaces.

You would be able to find a cheaper accommodation if you are searching for a hostel, but in the hotel standards of the area is reasonable. I'd recommend you to keep this place in mind because of the location, the local partnerships and the comfortable spaces. I noticed that they also have dorms or rooms with 6 beds in case you are traveling as a group.

Ps. Very nice and friendly dogs in the morning that might bark you a little when you are coming back at night time.

Happy roads.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank German C
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed 20 March 2012

La Isla Inn is right across from Beach Break - the surfer's beach. It is a beautiful wooden structure with a warm comfortable feel. The current can be strong at Beach Break but La Isla Inn has a lovely pool you can enjoy. The owners are quite friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Lisa V
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Petra really came thru for us when friends of ours had a guest staying with them at their home, who was a Vietnam Veteran having severe leg problems with infection. While we were staying with our friends, they had a situation where a renter/housesitter became very ill and had to be taken to the doctors. Our friends contacted Petra where a room became available for us for the remainder of our stay. Room was clean with airconditioning, hotel across from the beach but has a pool, and breakfast is included. Try Petra's cookies with a cup of coffee--OMG! Jose and the german shepards look a little ruff. But get friendly the longer you stay. I enjoyed they kept beach traffic out! and guests securely in.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter not over the bar-it closes at 9 pm If you choose the Pico breakfast b...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank dagoDenver
Texas
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I read reviews about the manager (owner?) being somewhat gruff, but figured I would try it anyway. When I first walked up to the window, not knowing where the desk was, he tried to ignore me and then I got his attention just motioned to a door and said "in there". Later, when I asked someone for a taxi, they told him to call and he did, but didn't even say a word to me after he hung up. Everyone stayed in the kitchen and laughed and talked and totally ignored me, even when I stood in front of them looking at them. When I first arrived about 2:45, my room wasn't ready. The lady yelled at someone to clean it and had me wait in the dining area (at least she did get me a coke). About 45 minutes later, I walked over to find my room ready to go, but I guess had I not gone to look I would have sat there all night because they didn't care to inform me it was ready. I got to my room, which was not too bad, a big bed and a bunk, but there were 3 windows, one of which was nailed open with no screen or grate. I have no problem with a fan and open windows when I am there, but I am supposed to leave all my stuff where someone can just hop right in and get it? Why even put a lock on the door? The safe was barely big enough to hold my camera, but my laptop would not even come close to fitting. On a positive note, the room was big and the shower was fantastic, and the shower was clean, although there was solid mildew on the painted parts of the bathroom walls. I took a quick shower, packed my things back up, and left. When I checked out, I simply told him to cancel my second night, keep my money for the first night, and we would call it even. It wasn't worth the 60 bucks to even try and argue with him. Sad, because it is such a good location and has such great potential, is a great looking place from the outside, but just a run down "I don't want you here feeling".

Room Tip: Pick a room in another place?
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank WanderingTexan62
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My brother and I stayed at La Isla for 2 nights in May. This was the second time I have moved to La Isla after bad experiences at another hotel and a private home. Petra and Jose have always been very accommodating and gracious. The rooms I stayed in were somewhat small but had great bathrooms and A/C, as well as a double bed and wood bunk beds. The breakfast was good and cooked to order. I also stayed here with my wife in 2009 and my brother in September 2010. I have family living in Puerto Viejo with small kids so we all really enjoyed the pool. La Isla is right across from the beach and close to town. I would recommend this hotel for the nice rooms, hospitable owners, and great location.

Room Tip: First floor rooms will stay cooler longer.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family