“Good fresh ingredients, well prepared.”
Review of Jungle Love Cafe - CLOSED

Jungle Love Cafe
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are a small family run restaurant that is located below our home. Our food is a fusion style of flavors that we love and hope you will too. We try to have a little something for everyone. Everything is homemade and we use almost all locally sourced ingredients. When you come to eat at Jungle Love you are eating in our home....We hope you feel welcome and at ease. And we can't wait to meet you. :)P
San Antonio, Texas
“Good fresh ingredients, well prepared.”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Small restaurant with hands on owners. The food and drinks are good. Cozy setting. We are always happy with what's fresh or recommended. Try the Jungle Love milkshake. Addictive.

Visited July 2014

Key West, Florida
“Great food, great place!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We spent 5 days in Puerto Viejo and Jungle Love was the best place we ate! The food was great, the service was great and we love the location.
We highly recommend eating here.

Barcelona, Spain
“very good place, good service, nice price”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

we had there a very romantic dinner! Food was perfect, and the couple who owns it were so nice with us. The relation between quality-price was perfect. We took the tallarines and the chicken with mango. Tallarines with camarones were FANTASTIC! The chicken was tooooo spicy, but I imagine that it's typical here, but I have to say that I didn't super enjoy it. Nevertheless, the service and the place were amazing, hence... we ended up SO HAPPY with the place. We have recommended it to other travellers :)

• Visited August 2014
Berkeley, California
“I Got Jungle Love Fever”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had a 10 day stay in Playa Chiquita which is on the outskirts of Puerto Viejo. Beautiful destination, jungle and beach, a perfect local if you don't want to be in the mix of the city. My wife and I stumbled upon a fabulous restaurant perfectly titled Jungle Love Cafe. Now you have to make reservations so don't just stumble onto the place like we did, even though they where gracious enough to sit us nonetheless. Lucky, there was a cancelation. Anyway the food was excellent, now I didn't have a bad meal anywhere I ate in Costa Rica but I wanted something more then a typical plate and Jungle Love was nothing typical. I had a seared tuna steak in a ginger sauce and wasabi, my wife had a mango chicken salad, both dishes where fantastic, I'm no foodie, but the tuna was cooked perfectly which went well with the ginger wasabi glaze. I have to say it was the best meal I had on my 10 day excursion, good enough for a repeat which I made reservations for. Jungle Love Cafe changes there menu weekly if not daily to keep the ingredients fresh from market to table. Thus the importance of making a reservation. Anyway a great location, good food, the dining experience is romantically set in a outdoor garden in the heart of the jungle. The patrons of this fine dining establishment are great host, with a perfect mix of ambient selections for your listening pleasure. Thank you Jungle Love Cafe, you made our stay in Playa Chiquita that much better. Highly recommended.

junglelove1, Owner at Jungle Love Cafe, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
HI ! Thank you so much for the wonderful review . It was a pleasure to meet you and your family . I want to correct something you wrote just so other customer's get the right info. We do have a set menu it is not different every night as you stated. But yes we do only have fresh and mostly local ingredients so sometimes we may not have everything on the menu. For example if the sea's are rough then the fishing goes down and we might only have limited amounts. Just to set the record straight !

Thanks again , Poppy and Yamu
Lexington, Massachusetts
“Love in the food, the atmosphere, and the service!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've just returned from my third visit to Playa Chiquita (a few minutes down the road from Puerto Viejo). Without fail, Jungle Love is included in my meal itinerary on each adventure.

This most recent trip was not just for me, though. I was leading a week-long retreat, and asked Poppy and Yamu if they would host my group for dinner each night. Poppy and Yamu out did themselves!

First, they took great care in preparing menu items that would cater to my guests, taking into consideration allergies and preferences. They reserved a special, private, seating area for us and decorated it with white lights, white curtains, and each evening the table was adorned with a different centerpiece of local flowers. Even this last touch was done with mindful attention to our experience, as each centerpiece either had a story, a scent, a texture, or was simply beautiful to behold.

Poppy and Yamu were gracious hosts, providing absolutely delicious food. Our custom menu included a different starter salad each night (the tofu salad, which I nearly nixed from the list, was my personal favorite...still the walnut and goat cheese salad was yummy, and the heart of palm salad...just so much goodness!), paired with a fresh, homemade dressing, designed to bring out the amazing natural flavors. One night, we switched from salad to soup, which was a fresh batch of gazpacho...to die for! This was served to us on their night off, when they opened, just to serve my party. The soup was so incredible, a couple of folks had seconds - even knowing that the main course was sure to please, based on our experiences so far.

Every main course was both beautifully presented and a delight for our taste buds. I tell you with all seriousness, I was the only person who ever left anything uneaten on any plate, and that was only because the portion sizes were substantial. I'm pretty sure, if no one had been looking, my guests would have lovingly licked the plates clean every night!

As I said, we had a specially prepared menu, so it may be that not all of this is available to a regular diner; however, I find it helps to know what to try. Despite what you may find in other reviews of this place, every single item is prepared on site daily or obtained from a local specialty shop (more about this when we get to dessert). There are no jars, flavor packets or other fake enhancements in any of the food we ate, which included:
Mango Chicken with curried veggies and rice - so tasty...even folks in our group who were hesitant about the curry loved every bite!
Fresh fish with fresh herbs, roasted veggies and potatoes - I had a similar dish during my last visit and was thrilled to have it included on my group's menu
Veggie Pasta - loads of veggies with spaghetti - a perfect mix of grounded and healthful
Rosemary/honey baked chicken - so good, we almost ate the bones!
Yamu's "First Date" dinner - the one that won Poppy's heart - Spinach and mushroom lasagna - he won our hearts, too!
And our final meal was another catch of the day with a hand-crafted Caribbean sauce custom made for our delicate taste buds - fabulous!

Desserts were just as creative from the locally crafted coffee ice cream with Poppy's homemade chocolate sauce...the phenomenal "Lime Love"...the chocolate avocado mousse (oh my god...real food with flavors to make you feel guilty, but no reason to!)...then there was the chocolate fondue with fruit - again, a lick the bowl kind of moment...and one night we had a taste of Poppy's decadent cake with fresh gelato from "Deelite" in Puerto Viejo. Quick sidebar - Deelite is a great find in itself. All the gelato is made fresh daily, and the owners are from Italy, so this is the real thing!

I think the restaurant is called Jungle Love for a very good reason. Poppy and Yamu pour love into their food, the atmosphere they create, and the service they provide. My group looked forward to dinner every night, because the food was amazing and the care was consistent. That's a big deal as a group leader, to know that real nourishment will be truly enjoyed by the folks I've committed to serve. Jungle Love genuinely added to our retreat experience in very positive ways. I am so grateful and can't wait for my next Playa Chiquita adventure - which will, of course, include Jungle Love.

2 Thank WhatsNextWorkshops