“missing something ”

Rocking J's
Lugano, Switzerland
“missing something ”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

My brother was at J's last summer and said he had the time of his life, so we decided to return this year. We rented a private room with a bunk bed and I think we got lucky. Our friend stayed in the dorm and said it wasn't worth the $11 a night. However, we didn't have a bad experience. There were probably 50 people staying at J's when we were there. Unfortunately, people were on there phones the entire time and for that reason, the atmosphere wasn't as great as it could've been. The few friendly people we did meet were awesome and I can foresee being lifelong friends. The bike rental was great and well worth the $5. J himself was great and invited me to do a mosaic which was awesome. I love the artsy feel of J's and the location. The atmosphere just could have been better.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I was backpacking with some friends through Costa Rica and we ended up staying longer than planned in this area because of Rockin J's. We opted for the hammock option which we were very happy about because the rooms were very hot and mosquitos seemed to love them. The hammocks were glorious, we loved every minute of our stay at J's. The proximity to the beach and the tv room upstairs were highlights for us. I would highly recommend this hostel to any backpackers looking for a great place to stay and a warm welcoming atmosphere!! All of the staff were fabulous and I would love to go back anytime!!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Germany
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

This place was so amazing 10 years ago... I came back and was shocked at the development. This used to be a fun but chill place where nighttime entertainment involved stuff like drum playing at the camp fire. Now it's hundreds of drunk people on beer pong tables, screaming and cheering, with cheap music blasting from the bar... It's like staying in a night club...

In addition, the staff is really unfriendly, like other people have noted. I speak Spanish and still no one really took the time to at least say welcome and explain the place a bit. Instead the receptionist, without further explanation, slapped a neon plastic bracelet around my wrist that had the name of the hostel on it. Not a comfortable thing to wear with 30+ degrees out. Then she pointed me towards my room and that was it.

I had booked the private king suite which turned out to be a shoebox of exactly 2,00 m x 1,80m. There was not a single shelf or any space to unpack anything. One window was partly broken and only covered with a curtain from the inside, so obviously there were a couple of mosquitoes in the room. There was no mosquito net over the bed and the ceiling was so low that hanging up mine did not work very well either. I think there would have been a nice terrace but the door was stuck.

I left after 1 hour and found a different place. I would have still given 2 stars because if you are looking for a cheap party hostel, this is the place to go. However, the final straw was that I had booked through their website and had paid all 4 nights via paypal and they did not even refund a part of it, even though I did not even stay the first night. I would have been fine with paying 1-2 nights, but all four definitely was exaggerated.

I found a room twice the size for half the price at a nice little place down the road. Met some nice people, chilled and had the Puerto Viejo experience I remembered and had hoped for. But Rocking J's has definitely lost it's very high position on my list of greatest hostels that it had held for the past 10 years... It's just sad.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank around_the_GL0BE

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Great place, great people...perfect place to relax with your friends and meet new people. Completely different experience, but I don't think it is place for kids. The clubs around the place aren't so good but you will always find something different to to do.

Room Tip: Rent beds instead of rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Here in low season so little atmosphere but that's fine. Only a couple of friendly staff, the women at reception often appear not to want to help anyone. Needs more bathrooms desperately. Is a great area though and loads of good communal space.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Cheap however we were offered the 'dorms' which were these old shipping containers at the back of the property. They had no ventilation, nor windows and you had to access them through a trap door on the top held down by a brick. If you are claustrophobic I wouldn't recommend that option. We opted for a tent which was ok. However the tents are right near the bar! Maybe bring your earplugs !!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed here for one night. Great place to party and meet people, However I would not recommend this place if you are gonna stay for several days and want to get some sleep.
DO SLEEP IN A HAMMOCK, I stayed in a dorm and they were dirty and had cockroaches, sleeping in a hammock would have been a better experience.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo