“Stayed 5 days in this great place!”
Review of El Nido Cabinas

El Nido Cabinas
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We first arrived in Cahuita where we stayed two nights. The second day we went to Puerto Viejo to find a nice place to stay for the last 4 nights of our holidays. We looked a whole day and nothing was availbale as it was weekend and holiday in Costa Rica. Finally we checked out El Nido which looked great and still had bungalows availalbe. It turned out to be a great choice! We never had such a nice room/bungalow for that money. Breakfast was amazing and included and the pool had a jacuzzi (which worked!). The manager is an Italian who lived a long time in costa rica and gave us great tips about what we could do (eg. where to eat, what to do if it rains, how to get to Panama,etc.). Really great place!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Lying on the hammock at the porch of my cabin, watching the exuberant gardens and hearing the monkeys hauling, while was raining (more than what I expected), gave the moment a mystical touch….. later on, watching the stars at night on the comfortable chairs by the swimming pool, made a very romantic evening… Stayed there for almost 10 days and at the end felt was missing time...
As you see, I do recommend with out any doubt this magical place, more so if you plan a quite, peaceful and inner experience time, at a very comfortable location. I was able to appreciate it even more after staying in two different hotels from the area, that end up being almost a scam.
Karinga, Gabriela, Victoria and Paolo, thank you for making our stay soooo nice!! And special congratulations for the artist that takes care of the gorgeous gardens!!
Hope to see you soon again!
PD... Frida and Lupita where such a nice hosts ;)...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I had a lovely time with my wife and two children at El Nido Cabinas! It sure was very neato :) I found the surroundings calming, the breakfast tasty, and the rooms relaxing and clean....not to mention the pool! I would definitely recommend this experience to other guest who are looking for a place to put up their feet and take a break from being on the road. Look forward to a visit in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2011

El Nido brands itself as affordable luxury, that is certainly true if you are staying in one of the four cabinas. Not if you are staying in the "suite". As all the cabinas were booked, i found myself in the slightly cheaper "suite" room. A world of a difference from the cabinas!

I visited the cabinas where my friends were staying, they are beautiful and stylish. I was forced to visit them in order to use their shower, as the shower of my "suite" didn't work. A mere trickle of cold water came out. And when you've been on the road for hours, and you are paying a good chunk more than a youth hostel, you'r really looking forward to that hot shower. Not so.
The hosts tried to fix the problem, but alas, a few trickles more didn't make the difference. So for the 2 days i was in my "suite"; i went to use my friends' shower in the cabinas. Rather uncomfortable first thing in the morning...

The ceiling also wasn't more than a thin layer of wooden planks so i could hear the couple above's every move. No details such as shampoo or space to place your suitcase. All there was was an old cupboard with an old TV (i don't watch much TV so didn't try if it worked) and an old kitchen bench. Other than that, no useful furniture. So my luggage was more or less left to lie on the floor. It would be nice if the owners could add a piece of furniture to put things on, or an extra little bed table with a clock.

Also certainly no orthopedic mattress, as promoted on the El Nido flyer. In the "suite" room it was an old matras covered with an even older foam layer.

I keep writing "suite" in quotation marks, as you cannot really term it a suite. It is a simple and basic room (probably converted from something else before) that finds itself suddenly added to the Cabinas Resort.

I think it is wrong to throw in such a basic room under the overall banner of "affordable luxury" and certainly misleading. I had no choice to move elsewhere as it was a busy weekend and all of Puerto Viejo was booked out.

To add though, the couple running the place tried their best and were very friendly. But whoever is the owner, should seriously reconsider the "suite" addition to the accommodation offer as it doesn't do justice to the overall resort quality.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Evelyn_travelling
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Loved our stay at El Nido...Peaceful cabinas fully equipped with everything you needed. Felt like a little house, clean and comfortable. Was nice to have the kitchen for days of dining in and storing extra water :)Victoria and Paolo were so nice and welcoming and were able to help with anything we needed. The pool was awesome to have a cool dip whenever. They also offer a tv and dvd`s for when it was pouring out...nice was to let time pass and still be occupied. The atmosphere was very peaceful and welcoming, great up keep of the grounds. We enjoyed our homecooked breaky`s that were included with the stay.

I had some great photos but they were letting me upload sorry!

Room Tip: All the cabina`s are equipped the same...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2011

My family and I stayed at this newly developed cabina resort. I actually did a ton...I mean a ton of review searching before driving from the San Jose area to Puerto Viejo and booked actually booked a reservation at another neighbouring hotel before arrival. I am really glad that in Costa Rica you can get away with making reservations without providing a credit card. No comparison (at least upon visual contact) between the two hotels and let me forewarn those who have never been to Puerto Viejo...almost all the hotels in the area are extremely rustic and many over charge significantly. If you are paying more than $50-$80/night you are paying too much. I can't speak for every hotel but when I drove the strip I couldn't believe some of the prices being asked. You are better off on the Pacific beaches for the price being charged (sorry branching a little)

All that said, I naturally did pay more than what I quoted above at El Nido, but the price was at least accurate. The price is worth it and this is a very new development so the cabins have a nice new feel to them and are very spacious with awesome little kitchettes. Also great for kids. Really nice pool area and the surrounding lush gardens are beautiful and very well manicured. We were travelling with a 10 month old.

Paolo & Victoria are two very hospitable people who were meant to be in the hotel business. You couldn't find two nicer people. The stay came with a great COOKED breakfast.

I think my only criticism with this place was that there was no comp soap in the bathroom and I forgot to bring.

After reading other reviews on Puerto Viejo hotels, I am stumped as to how this hotel doesn't get rated amongst the top 3-5 hotels in the area. What a shame to have to build a long term reputation for such a great new hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stayed a couple of nights in the Caribbean Coast in mid July and were recommended to stay in El Nido. We were so happy with all the hospitality offered by our host Paolo and Vittoria that we would not think twice about returning. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and the decorations are in good taste. The beach is a very short walk and the on site salt water pool is refreshing. El Nido offers all the luxuries you want at an affordable price.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
#19 of 55 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Mi Casa Hostel El Tesoro
Mi Casa Hostel El Tesoro
#78 of 118 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to El Nido Cabinas? Share your experiences!