“WONDERFUL!”

Mi Casa Hostel El Tesoro
Hartford, Connecticut
“WONDERFUL!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Tesoro. The staff were so friendly and helpful, and gave excellent recommendations on where to eat, and what to do around town. I felt they were very invested and interested in making sure our trip was as awesome as possible.

The rooms were very neat, tidy, and comfortable. The property is absolutely gorgeous. The location is so ideal, because it is across the street from a beach (with lifeguards) just out side of the busy town area.

I felt very relaxed and at ease during my stay at Tesoro. Hanging out at the Tasty Waves Cantina next door was a big hit too! The stay were so friendly and down to earth, and its one of the best deals in town for yummy drinks and tasty carribean bar snacks!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clairmoney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

Well the review before us says it all really. If you are looking for an economical, safe, clean, friendly home base, right across from the beach, this is it. I put five stars too, because everyone there made it feel like our home away from home. This place is not new, but like I said above it was very clean and comfortable. My husband and I are surfers, so to be able to walk across the street to the beach was important. The jungle surrounds you, and you can see birds, monkeys and sloths daily. Tasty Waves next door, makes it easy to stay close for the night and have good food and drinks. Other hotels near by offer breakfast lunch and dinner so you do not have to always go to town. You have yoga next door, and echo books right up a jungle road behind the cabinas. Any needs, or wants Charlie was helping immediately to make our stay as comfortable as possible. If we go back we would not stay anywhere else. Thanks everyone!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tibarona
quebec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

First..you have a beach in front of you, but you are in the jungle. That's very great. The boos is a nice man, very helpful, giving you good advice and always asking you if everything is OK. Room are clean Hot Shower, great WIFI (we work from here) and near from the downtown , just beside the famous bar Tasty Waves

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank tigerqc
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

Let's start by the meaning of the 5 stars I gave to El Tesoro.

This is a 2 1/2 - 3 stars hotel. I knew it before I rented there. So, the 5 stars I gave mean that everything in this place is above what I could usually get from this kind of hotel.

1 - The manager, Charlie. From day one to the end of your stay, you are sure that he will always be there with a smile answering your questions.
2 - The location is simply splendid. Right in front of the Ocean, surrounded by the jungle with the Tasty Waves Cantina (I already review the Cantina) on the same spot.
3 - The room. Read the review from Lonely planets and you will have a good idea of the rooms. You can have fresh towels everyday but, why? We changed them every 3 days with a good cleanup of the room. The service was always number one.
4- I read about worms in rooms... Ok, this is not NY here. We are in the jungle! So yes, I found a worm, one day in the bath room. I took a paper, put the worm in it and then sent it back to the jungle. We had a small crab tambien! Very cute. But, I don't think there's a place in Puerto Viejo who is 100% insect proof. Even in Cozumel in a 5 stars hotel, I met a tiny worms and lizard. But the room is of a very good size, hot water for the shower, fridge and fan with a porch and a hammock.
5 - Free Wi-Fi. This was very important for us because we had to work each morning. We had to connect to our VPN. We never miss a day of work.

This is a great place to stay. Free security box, secure place, free communal kitchen and the staff is very kind.
For 625$ for one month in front of the sea, this is a 5 star location

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ghistos
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

In a town flooded with extremely low end and extremely high end accommodations around every corner El Tesoro is a great find! I paid as much for a cabin with private bath, room service, and towel service as the local hostels that offer none of these services charge. I had my own little front porch with a hammock and felt like I was staying in my own little home. The location was perfect for me... just outside of the loud part of town, i could hear the sounds of the rainforest at night while being within walking distance of downtown and also across the street from the beach. The staff was super friendly and Charlie the manager treated me like family and even helped me get to the airport when my shuttle didn't show up leaving me stranded.

A place as special as Puerto Viejo itself... I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank ChristyLynnBarb
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2010

Everything about this cabina felt dirty. It had two beds and several times when I returned to my room there was a cockroach scurrying away(it was on top of the bed sheet mind you)..My bathroom light did not work...I was awaken at early hours of the morning by people , maybe other occupents speaking very loudly...I also was awaken at about 4 am several days in a row by an animal or animals(maybe racoons) on my roof..The water in the shower was scolding hot(intolerable) I tried to reset on various occasions and it stayed the same and there was some sort of wierd worm in my shower...The fridge was in the bathroom...They did not change my towels daily although I asked them to do so....I was up early one morning preparing to go on a tour and There was broken glass scattered near the reception area...I asked one of the workers to clean it up because someone could get hurt and he just looked at me...Needless to say I checked out two days earlier and returned to Cahuita...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Cleo60811
cbztesoro, Manager at Mi Casa Hostel El Tesoro, responded to this review, 27 July 2010
First I am sorry that I did not respond earlier.

As well, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

As far as the cockroach, it does not make sense that there would have been any in the room, but I can promise you that you did not inform me of this. I do remember that you mentioned the tiny worms and we did clean, and LIGHTLY fumigate the room as soon as you mentioned that. But you were here at a time where they are everywhere, and very hard to completely eliminate - but with the changing season, they are now gone.

In regards to the light in the bathroom, well if you remember I was very embarrassed about that and explained that we had thought it was the florescent bulb, but then after purchasing one we found that it was the assembly - and they had none that size available to purchase so I put a small lamp in it's place during your stay.

People talking at 4am - well, that must of been some other clients on their way to the rooms - and on their behalf, I apologize.

After asking my gardener and handy man about the glass incident and getting nowhere, I finally realized that it was the night guard who I am ashamed to say was probably the most lazy person I have ever had working here, and no longer is with us.

Towels are available EVERY DAY, but generally the clients turn them in for a fresh one - I am only sorry that I did not explain that to you clearly.

I was not aware of any problem with the shower - there are 3 settings one of which completely disconnects power to the shower head for a cold shower - so when I saw the review, I checked it and it was fine, as well, the client that came in after you never complained.

And finally, if memory serves me correct - I discounted your price due to the length of your stay and then the average per night price was $34.00 for a private room with king size bed AND single bed, fan, private bathroom, screened windows with privacy shutters, front porch with hammock, free WIFI, Coffee, safety deposit box, and fridge ( there is no where else BUT the bathroom to put it - but that cabinet in the corner as you first enter the bathroom was built exclusively FOR the fridge).

Any way - again, on behalf of all of us here at El Tesoro, we apologize and thank you for your comments so that we can better attend the needs of our clients.

After 12 years here, this is the 3rd bad review out of many in many different forums.