“No Ambience, But Oh That Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Soda Johanna's

Soda Johanna's
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Seafood, Central American, Costa Rican
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lexington, Kentucky
“No Ambience, But Oh That Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Situated just three giant steps from the best hotel in Cocles and Puerto Viejo - Physis Caribbean B & B, Johanna's is the best soda around. For those of you have traveled in Costa Rica (CR), you know that a soda serves typical CR food - patacones (fried plantains), arroz (rice), frijoles (beans) along with carne/lomito (steak), pollo (chicken) y pescado (fish), camarones (shrimps), y longosta (lobster).

I ate here the first night in town - had the $20.00 lobster - fantastic! I mean, where you can find a $20.00 lobster? She cooks the plantains in butter, I think. Melts in your mouth! She also cooks the rice in coconut milk.

All the meals (6) I had here were delicious. Follow Jeremy's (owner of Physis) advice, and ask what's fresh (fresco). She'll tell ya.

The only reason I consider the atmosphere average, is because the restaurant seating looks out onto a road - not a busy road, but a road traveled by the occasional car, person, dog, or chicken. Not relevant for me - the food's the thing! If you're lucky enough to be staying at Physis, have them deliver to you.

• Visited January 2014

Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Family Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Had supper at Johanna's, my wife and I had a wonderful Meal shrimp and rice, our friends had chicken with white sauce. This is located on a side road but well worth finding. I would recommend this place for anyone.

• Visited December 2013
Lincoln, California
“Best Soda in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Thank you again Johanna for the most wonderful steak, chicken, and shrimp meals!! It was so good to see you and the family again. You are still the best cook we know in the area!! It also helps that you are right next door to the best Bed & Breakfast (Physis Caribbean) in town too! TT & Don

Visited December 2013
Cypress, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best authentic food in Puerto Nuevo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We are so spoiled to have this little mom and pop restaurant right next door to the Physis Bed and Breakfast. I absolutely loved the lobster and shrimp caribeana. My fiancé had the file and it was awesome. The family is super friendly and give great advice about what to see and do while visiting. Don't miss this gem!

• Visited August 2013
Orlando, Florida
“dissapointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

The juice was delicious but in terms of food, we ordered the red snapper and I did not enjoy my casado as much as any other soda I had been to in costa rica. It was a large portion to share which was nice but I did not like the food. Also bring bug spray as there are a lot of bugs around (which didnt bother me becuase that is too be expected outside near a beach) more of a suggestion.

• Visited July 2013